Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:15 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Earthquake, 30 seconds. Miserable winter in Chicago, SIX MONTHS

You decide which is worse.
More like 3-4 months, and generally harmless unless you’re not prepared. Earthquakes can be far more devastating even with all the preparation in the world.
However, I can understand the appeal of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 10:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Some people are scared of clowns. They have that right.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 PM

23,288 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Earthquake, 30 seconds. Miserable winter in Chicago, SIX MONTHS

You decide which is worse.
Well, six months of winter doesn't tend to destroy your house. Winter is no surprise; it tends to occur one a year. Unless of course you don't know how to plan ahead that is.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:33 PM

23,288 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
More like 3-4 months, and generally harmless unless you’re not prepared. Earthquakes can be far more devastating even with all the preparation in the world.
However, I can understand the appeal of California.
I grew up in S CA a 10 minute drive from the epicenter of the Sylmar quake in 1971. We were lucky; no structural damage to the house other than a huge mess and a couple of pipe leaks. The neighbors' brick chimney collapsed and fell through the roof into the bedrooms...people were just getting dressed for the day. Our high school was closed for days because of structural crack inspections and cleaning all the mixed up chemicals spilled out of biology and chemistry labs...you know, simple things like sulfuric acid, burning potassium, stuff like that.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:44 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
OK, I grew up with earthquakes. Anything under a 6 is fun. Over a 6 some concern. But compared to tornados and hurricanes, loss of life is minimal. CA building standards are high since 1906.

So look it up: in the US how many people and buildings have died from earthquakes in the last 50 years. Compare to the damage and deaths from hurricanes and tornados in the last 15 years.

Why are some freaked out over earthquakes?
In the last twenty years, 4 Americans have died from earthquakes.

In the last twenty years, 1457 Americans have died from tornadoes.

In the last twenty years, 2135 Americans have died from hurricanes (not counting Puerto Rico).

In the last 113 years, 725 Americans have died from earthquakes.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
OK, I grew up with earthquakes. Anything under a 6 is fun.
Fun?

Quote:
Over a 6 some concern. But compared to tornados and hurricanes, loss of life is minimal. CA building standards are high since 1906.
I wouldn't call it minimal. 61 people died in the Northridge earthquake in 1994, 63 died in the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, and 65 died in the 1972 Sylamar (San Fernando) quake.

Here are the biggest earthquakes in California history: https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...706-story.html

Old 07-09-2019, 09:04 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
I'm thinking 97% of people aren't vulnerable to wild fires....just those in or near brush areas/forests. But everyone is vulnerable to earthquakes.
I used to kind of think the same thing but then you look at Coffey Park in Santa Rosa, it's on the valley floor and one of the last places I would think would burn down in a wildfire. And in places like San Diego they can race in between the canyons almost all the way to the coast. I remember the fire in 2003 reaching places like Mira Mesa and Kearny Mesa in San Diego, those are flat communities.Winds can carry embers pretty far especially when it's dry.

A lot of places in CA aren't that vulnerable to major shaking from an earthquake like much of the Central Valley, Sierra Nevada, and San Diego.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...California.jpg

Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
I'm thinking 97% of people aren't vulnerable to wild fires....just those in or near brush areas/forests. But everyone is vulnerable to earthquakes.
Not true.

Some of the most damaging fires in California have burned right through developed urban and suburban areas.

Just ask the folks who've lost homes (and loved ones) in Santa Rosa, Thousand Oaks, Santa Barbara, Oakland and San Diego (Scripps Ranch, Poway, Carlsbad). They're all very suburban/urban areas. Last year there were wildfires threatening homes within the city limits of Los Angeles.

Certainly the risk is higher if you live out in the boonies surrounded by brush.

But wildfires don't stay neatly in place. Take, for instance, the wildfire in Santa Rosa. It started in a more remote area but then burned right through the heart of a sizable city.

So anyone in California who thinks they will never have to worry about wildfires is not paying attention.

As I said, wildfires have killed more people and destroyed more homes in California in the last 20 years than earthquakes.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:30 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
All of the posters above are missing the real danger of earthquakes. For most, it's not the ceiling falling on your head.

IF there is a Big One, close to Mag 8, with an epicentier in LA or SF the danger comes days later: water lines broken, freeway bridges down, gas lines broken, powerlines down, internet out, cell phone service down. Grocery stores in big cities only have a couple of days of food supply, max. If truck can't get in to resupply, food runs out. People get hungry they start looting. Civil unrest. Things can get ugly fast.
That's why I have gensets, fuel, food for weeks and plenty of guns and ammo. We've already seen how fast things turn during that big outage we had. People lined up at gas stations that couldn't pump gas. Going to grocery stores because they had no food in the house. Most apartment dwellers will have min food on hand.

My circle of friends have all made plans if something like this happens. CB radios and walkie talkies or shortwave because the phone system will be down just like last time.

Add in a good wild fire that can burn straight to the ocean? It could get bad. We plan on evac by boat as everyone else will be trying to go East. The freeways will be parking lots.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:05 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That's why I have gensets, fuel, food for weeks and plenty of guns and ammo. We've already seen how fast things turn during that big outage we had. People lined up at gas stations that couldn't pump gas. Going to grocery stores because they had no food in the house. Most apartment dwellers will have min food on hand.

My circle of friends have all made plans if something like this happens. CB radios and walkie talkies or shortwave because the phone system will be down just like last time.

Add in a good wild fire that can burn straight to the ocean? It could get bad. We plan on evac by boat as everyone else will be trying to go East. The freeways will be parking lots.
... I’m already there ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California