Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I built my company during the Obama years in California (SoCal), so I know about how easy it is to make money in liberal bastions (as long as you aren't lazy, lack skills, etc).

That being said, it's a situation of "in spite of" concerning the government in California. They aren't responsible for the growth, that's why no one on the hoo-rah California Goverment crew can name the policies that lead to such growth (hint: there are none).

California is a junction of great universities like the UC network of schools (Henry Durant was a Republican by the way), international gateway/port (geographic location), and great weather (God). Now imagine all of that and a business friendly, low tax environment. The economic growth would certainly be better.
You're preaching to the choir, i do realize all these things but I think liberals still have a reason to crow when it comes to liberal states doing better on most metrics measured (I say this as a Republican giving begrudging accolades). I do know the great California economic engines were established when Republicans ran the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 11:25 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
I built my company during the Obama years in California (SoCal), so I know about how easy it is to make money in liberal bastions (as long as you aren't lazy, lack skills, etc).

That being said, it's a situation of "in spite of" concerning the government in California. They aren't responsible for the growth, that's why no one on the hoo-rah California Goverment crew can name the policies that lead to such growth (hint: there are none).

California is a junction of great universities like the UC network of schools (Henry Durant was a Republican by the way), international gateway/port (geographic location), and great weather (God). Now imagine all of that and a business friendly, low tax environment. The economic growth would certainly be better.
Bit of a contradiction there.

A republican in the 1800's was a liberal.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
A republican in the 1800's was a liberal.
Classical liberal. I know, most don't know the difference, but still an important distinction.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I do know the great California economic engines were established when Republicans ran the state.
Most do not.

That's why the question of "What policies helped create such growth?" is never actually answered by the "Blue states have better economies" crowd.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:42 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Quote:
Classical liberal. I know, most don't know the difference, but still an important distinction.

Not exactly.

Republicans were for things like the national park system, a central government, a national bank, and Teddy Roosevelt even proposed a national health plan.

"Classical liberal" would apply to Thomas Jefferson and Southern Democrats, not Northern Republicans.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Most do not.

That's why the question of "What policies helped create such growth?" is never actually answered by the "Blue states have better economies" crowd.
Investing in education is mentioned quite often which you just did as well by pointing out the UC system. But what you see what you want to see I guess....

Old 07-11-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

"Classical liberal" would apply to Thomas Jefferson and Southern Democrats
You have your history mixed up bad, not just time, but complete eras. Jefferson and Madison were staunch anti-centralization (in opposition to Hamilton). Seriously read the Federalist papers (which you obviously have not).

Thomas Jefferson himself called his own party the "National Republican Party" or simply the "Republican party" or in some text the Democratic Republican Party, until Andrew Jackson splintered the party into the Jacksonian Movement which eventually became the modern Democrat party of today. This is where the actual North-South split began with Jackson being governor of Florida and eventually a senator of Tennessee.

Thomas Jefferson was never a "southern democrat" of the Jacksonian era, that's ridiculous. You really should read a credible history book (twice).

Old 07-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Investing in education is mentioned quite often which you just did as well by pointing out the UC system.
Thank you Henry Durant! Sad to see his foresight and model being squandered by leftist though.

How's LAUSD doing these days?

Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you Henry Durant!
And the CA govt for continuing to support and invest in the UC system! As well as the other states (usually blue ones) who see the value in strong universities!

Old 07-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
And the CA govt for continuing to support and invest in the UC system!
Yes, thank you Democrats for managing public taxpayer money so well, satisfying state auditors and increasing public trust.

Oh wait...

Well at least Democrats have kept UC affordable for those who want to pursue higher education and make something better of themselves.

Oh wait...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California