Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 05:27 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,797 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
At least in Texas you don't have to worry about mountains.

No mountains is one reason I wouldn't live in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 07:29 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,563,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I'm jealous of you Californians. NC is nowhere near as fun & interesting - plus the weather stinks. I was hoping to move this month but we've had to push our relocation off till September since it looks like we're going to stay with relatives in Palm Springs (right now it's simply too hot to deal with a cross country drive lol). I can't wait to see Yosemite!
You don’t have ac? The cc drive isn’t to tough. I’ve done it multiple times from the Bay Area to Atlanta. Besides Yosemite there will be a ton of cool places to see. California as a state has the most variety in geography.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:53 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm happy to report, that there's a good Chinese restaurant in Arvin.
And there's a good Salvadoran/Mexican restaurant in Buttonwillow on I-5: Tita's Pupuseria.
There's also an Indian restaurant at the same exit... but it's only so-so.

Does anyone know the next spot (when going north on 5) where decent food can be found?

Old 08-15-2019, 02:01 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Putting Los Angeles as just one option is kinda restricting - there are entire states with less variety. South Bay Los Angeles for the beach, and the sailing. Downtown LA is increasingly awesome.

Outside LA:

Ojai. I could so live there. A colossal outdoor bookstore?

Some of the weird little canyon enclaves in the Santa Monica mountains. Topanga is one.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:22 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

San Diego (ranked #1)

San Francisco (#2)

Los Angeles (#7)

Santa Rosa (#10)
You need a high salary or lots of money in your bank account to own a home in those places because cost of living is so high

Old 08-15-2019, 06:15 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
You need a high salary or lots of money in your bank account to own a home in those places because cost of living is so high
Agree. But cost of living was factored into US News & World Report's methodology for the original list.

Yet, those cities still had enough other factors (based on the methodology used to define "a fun place to live") to make the list.

So, I guess the conclusion is that a low cost of living doesn't always translate into more fun things to do.

(As a personal aside, I live near San Diego. Housing is certainly expensive here, but I can find something fun to do here for FREE 30 days out of every month. In the months with 31 days, I take a long nap on the extra day. )

Old 08-17-2019, 08:56 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OMG. Fresno?
Actually, I'm glad to see Fresno make the list. An outdoor enthusiast that also wants to live in a legitimate large city should seriously consider Fresno. Fresno is so such an easy and short drive to so many great areas of the Sierra Nevada.

Save Mart center regularly draws some huge names in entertainment. And Fresno State athletics is pretty good. I'd even say probably more of a draw and better athletes than similar programs like San Jose State or San Diego State despite those programs being in larger cities.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Has anyone suggested Arvin yet? Or Crescent City?

(Great thread Rosie! )
I hear Lamont is the new place to be. Arvin is so 2005.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:02 AM

If you are asking me to put in a serious vote I might go with Long Beach. There are some really nice parts of Long Beach. Cool downtown area. Plus Belmont Shores right there. And great weather goes without saying.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:15 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,685,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
(As a personal aside, I live near San Diego. Housing is certainly expensive here, but I can find something fun to do here for FREE 30 days out of every month. In the months with 31 days, I take a long nap on the extra day. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California