Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:59 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You are absolutely correct Gildo in your observations. After living in Ireland, and spending several weeks in France and a few in Spain, California drivers ARE horrible!
I would think that a Californian road would be more then welcomed compared to the driving experience in Ireland. Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 02:13 PM

182 posts, read 927,500 times
Ya know....a huge percentage of drivers in Ca are not American citizens, do not have American Driver's License....did not take our Drivers Training...do not have insurance...do not read english...do not care....etc....
Ya know...illegal immigrants
I am sure you have heard of them?? LA times published some astounding statistics recently in regards to this... more of them than us Americans!!!
Could this be a contributing factor to the problems on the roads???
YOU BETCHA !!!
No offense to anyone legally here or driving properly....

Old 05-26-2008, 02:29 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouwse View Post
Ya know....a huge percentage of drivers in Ca are not American citizens, do not have American Driver's License....did not take our Drivers Training...do not have insurance...do not read english...do not care....etc....
Ya know...illegal immigrants
I am sure you have heard of them?? LA times published some astounding statistics recently in regards to this... more of them than us Americans!!!
Could this be a contributing factor to the problems on the roads???
YOU BETCHA !!!
No offense to anyone legally here or driving properly....
While I agree that illegals are a hazard on the road, most of the stuff that drives me insane -- needlessly aggressive and dangerous driving -- is usually committed by some white guy in a BMW or giant SUV.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:15 PM

182 posts, read 927,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
While I agree that illegals are a hazard on the road, most of the stuff that drives me insane -- needlessly aggressive and dangerous driving -- is usually committed by some white guy in a BMW or giant SUV.

How about the guy/gal with the phone to his/her ear lounging in the car as if they are on the couch at home while "steering" (can't call what they are doing "driving") in the #1 or #2 lane on a multi-lane frway at a speed of 35-45 mph???
whew!!!! Equally dangerous as the drunk driver!!!
or the ill prepared, uneducated, uncaring.....

Old 05-26-2008, 04:09 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
I was born and raised and got my first driver's license in Southern California..it can be totally intimidating for someone from another state or country at first..it's just so much overwhelming traffic. We would have friends visit us from out of state and just marvel that we could get around like we did...it's what we knew..it is a skill, people. But it is a LOT of traffic, day and night...and you have to know what freeways to avoid and at what time...I am not going to go anywhere near downtown L.A. at 5 p.m. unless i absolutely have to, and then probably not. It's being familiar with your surroundings, know when your off ramp is coming up and paying attention. I have had my beefs with the cell phone drivers, makeup applying drivers, men shaving drivers, eating drivers...I always tried to keep cell phone usage to a minimum because I knew it wasn't something I was comfortable with. Eating in the car..well that's a given. it's our heritage

Seriously, I think the OP was nervous, who wouldn't be. It's a matter of skill, knowledge and patience..living in Utah I will take my California roads and drivers anyday. I have never seen so much disregard for human life on the road as I have here..And we have only been here for 3 years. I just want to get out alive! Kidding, but it is different..

Old 05-27-2008, 02:49 AM

4 posts, read 10,948 times
I have to disagree. Given the large number of cars, I think Californian drivers are quite OK. Everywhere there are a..holes who drive awful.

On 31 Dec 07 we were going to have a very serious accident in Geneva, Switzerland as a car with French plates made an illegal u-turn without even looking back or checking his mirror. We survived because the taxi driver was very very alert and also said that when he saw the French plates he figured the driver could be intoxicated as he claimed they are quite often.

CA drivers may be ruder than Europeans but considering them awful....I think that's unfair.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:17 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouwse View Post
All true, and all the more reason to stay patient when OTR in CA. But drivers who "do not care" has to do with "boneheadedness" -- not country of origin or their degree of English skills. On that subject, I never understood why American road signs use written language instead of symbols. Plenty of illiterate Americans out there on the road, I'm sure. Seems to me that symboled signs for things like "wrong way," "no u turn" and "speed limit" would be most user friendly and enhance all of our safety -- particularly in CA, where every other person was born in another country!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 22,739 times
Talking frenchie drivin' in cali

all said is true so...... u shoulda done some more research about the situation before you came. i'm sure if you visited again you would enjoy yourself more now that you know what to expect and are more familiar with the roadways and road "ways". your girlfriends comment about " duck the americans have rifles in every pick-up truck!" kind of makes it seem that you arrived with some preconceptions. so next time leave'm at home (preconceptions) and come on back y'all!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
You should try driving in Utah! We are native southern Californians and commuted for years, we have never, ever seen drivers like the ones here..give me California drivers anyday..
That`s right it surely must be difficult driving with a M16 balanced across your knees.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:00 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
I am a native Californian and have been driving since 1977 on Californias roads and highways. I have never had an accident and only one ticket at 17 for making a right turn on a red light without completely stopping. I rarely do over the speed limit unless it is to keep up with the flow of traffic. I always stop dead at stop signs ( unlike most people who just slow down or glide through ). I leave 3 or more car lengths between my car and the one in front. I never ever tail gate. I always wave at the CHP and even give the OK sign. Maybe I am a very rare bird. I do agree that many California drivers are too aggressive if not even stupid; no amount of ABS brakes can stop a car when it is practically riding the bumper of the car in front. I personally will not ride in a car with an aggressive, tail gating, light running, stop sign running idiot of a driver, I would rather walk and live to see another day. There is no accommodation for timid indecisive drivers on California roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California