Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2019, 10:15 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I'm looking for the "diversity" and tolerance in this statement. Anyone?
That post was directed at me. I didn't respond to it because it was so stupid. That guy doesn't know anything about me but his small elitist mind creates this whole scenereo where my loser broke ass had to flee to another loser state. The truth is I already have a buyer for my successful business and I'm going to get a large amount of money. I'm a native and on the whole I've been a success living here but it's because I bought my home long ago and my dad started the business in the 70's. There's no way I would be in the same income bracket and equity if I was say a millennial starting out here. That's indicative of a state not working with you but against you. So I'm cashing out and moving to a state where I can breath free put some money in my pocket and drive my Lexus (sorry bad debt) on smooth roads. See you in Az BB

Old 09-15-2019, 10:19 AM

231 posts, read 390,729 times
I am leaving in February 2020. Number 1 reason is financial. I am about to retire. I am cashing in the equity in my home and moving to the Midwest (I have lived there before so the weather is not a surprise).
Taxes, traffic, crime, general cost of living the reasons we are leaving California. In the past 24 months, 7 of friends have sold in our area and left. 2 went to Oregon, 3 to Texas, one to Arizona and one to Utah. We are all retiring.

I have also found that as we get older we want to be closer to family. I think many people are seeing their kids and grandkids priced out of So. Cal and decide to move closer to them.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:27 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
$6,000 doesn't really impact my life We are not rich by any means but we have enough that we will never want for anything and our kids and grandkids will be in good shape when we croak. I'm 72, my husband is 75, we quit worrying about 25 year investments more than a few years ago

I'm not putting Texas down but it's not a place I would want to live. That doesn't mean it's not right for other people, I have friends who live there, but personally I find the state unattractive and it just doesn't appeal to me. I like Oklahoma even less but the states that I like least of all are Missouri and Alabama. That's not an expert opinion, it's just how I feel and $6,000 or even $10,000 a year would not be a good enough reason to move to any of those states. I don't remember anything about your friend with the small house, but that's his choice. Maybe he gets paid well enough that spending that much on a house is worth it to him.
Certainly in your situation where you are set with housing in place and retirement funds in place moving makes no sense. But for others not where you are at it can be different. The whole point of my post was that taxes were not necessarily higher in Texas or other states as you illustrated. Dollar for dollar it is possible, but for many the idea of getting housing for cheaper is a top reason. Thus cheaper housing generally yields lower property taxes, even at a higher rate.
As far as my friend, you must not be reading my posts. I mentioned he lives in Sacramento and his little crappy house ( and it is crappy in a so so hood) worth about 370K. To get a way better house in Texas he could spend less than 150K meaning his taxes might be 1,800 a year which is half of what he pays now in taxes. Also add his state income tax savings and the saving could be $6100 a year.
To you already retired and financially set as you have said, it may not be much but for him raising two kids it is something to consider. Especially if he likes the retirement aspect as I outlined.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I believe it is generally 1%, but many round-off at 1.25% because of the fractional add-ons to your property tax bill for water districts, vector control districts, etc.

Your earlier post, I also believe, was correct, that it cannot go up more than 2% per year of assessed value, and it is *usually* only re-assessed to current market value (which is usually a lot) when it changes hands or you re-finance.

I know of at least one state where the property tax is based upon 25% of value as assessed. That is some cheap property tax :-). If it were purchased for $400,000 then property tax is 1% of $100,000 :-)
Of all the property I've owned in Ca, 1.25% was pretty accurate.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:30 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
According to Zillow, for Austin, the median home price (listing) is $400,000, and the median home value is $371,900:
https://www.zillow.com/austin-tx/home-values/

But so what? Austin isn't all of Texas, it just happens to fit your narrative best.

In Houston, the median home price listing is $295,000, and the median home value is $188,700:
https://www.zillow.com/houston-tx/home-values/

In Fort Worth, the median home price listing is $260,990, the median price of homes that sold is $223,600, and the median home value is $197,900:
https://www.zillow.com/fort-worth-tx/home-values/
This is getting silly but ok, I'll play along for a bit.

Bakersfield, CA median home price $244,000 https://www.zillow.com/bakersfield-ca/home-values/

Susanville, CA median home price $179,400 https://www.zillow.com/susanville-ca/home-values/

Fresno, Ca median home price $243,500 https://www.zillow.com/fresno-ca/home-values/

San Bernardino Ca median home price $293,400 https://www.zillow.com/san-bernardino-ca/home-values/

Old 09-15-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
This is getting silly but ok, I'll play along for a bit.

Bakersfield, CA median home price $244,000 https://www.zillow.com/bakersfield-ca/home-values/

Susanville, CA median home price $179,400 https://www.zillow.com/susanville-ca/home-values/

Fresno, Ca median home price $243,500 https://www.zillow.com/fresno-ca/home-values/

San Bernardino Ca median home price $293,400 https://www.zillow.com/san-bernardino-ca/home-values/
This is exactly what the subject is, you can pick and choose your areas to make it seem like argument that Texas has higher property taxes is valid

Let's now look at these in Texas:
The median home value in Lubbock is $136,300
The median home price in Van Horn is $77,800
The median home value in Tyler is $143,600
The median home value in Temple is $137,000

Old 09-15-2019, 10:49 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
This is exactly what the subject is, you can pick and choose your areas to make it seem like argument that Texas has higher property taxes is valid

Let's now look at these in Texas:
The median home value in Lubbock is $136,300
The median home price in Van Horn is $77,800
The median home value in Tyler is $143,600
The median home value in Temple is $137,000
I was trying to show that the property tax in Texas is MUCH higher than in California. Demonstrating that necessitates a comparison of two similarly priced homes. I used Sacramento because I live there and I'm familiar with the area and I knew that at the median home prices are similar to those in Austin. I was not trying to pick something to suit my narrative. At this point I'm starting to lose track of what we're even arguing about, so let's move on, ok?

Old 09-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I was trying to show that the property tax in Texas is MUCH higher than in California. Demonstrating that necessitates a comparison of two similarly priced homes. I used Sacramento because I live there and I'm familiar with the area and I knew that at the median home prices are similar to those in Austin. I was not trying to pick something to suit my narrative. At this point I'm starting to lose track of what we're even arguing about, so let's move on, ok?
On an absolute dollar for dollar you were correct, but looking at it from a real world perspective many people would pay less because of the price of the house plus benefit from no state income tax. These are actual things people would consider if moving.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:15 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
I hear ya man...! Hey how is Kingman? We have not looked there, only around Prescott so far.....
Kingman is really great, but I think Prescott (Presskit for locals) may be even better. Stop by for a cold beer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Yeah, what 'they' never got was that I wasn't seeking to remove myself from people of color necessarily.......my definition of 'lack of diversity' meant that I wanted to get the hell away from liberals...
Same story here. It's amazing the level headed thinking that is here....and oh, nice people who don't want to argue at every turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
That post was directed at me. I didn't respond to it because it was so stupid. That guy doesn't know anything about me but his small elitist mind creates this whole scenereo where my loser broke ass had to flee to another loser state. The truth is I already have a buyer for my successful business and I'm going to get a large amount of money. I'm a native and on the whole I've been a success living here but it's because I bought my home long ago and my dad started the business in the 70's. There's no way I would be in the same income bracket and equity if I was say a millennial starting out here. That's indicative of a state not working with you but against you. So I'm cashing out and moving to a state where I can breath free put some money in my pocket and drive my Lexus (sorry bad debt) on smooth roads. See you in Az BB
Stop by for cold beer!! LOL....You are correct on every
point you make. Oh look at that! Level headed thinking based in truth. I like it. There was another guy on here touting and spewing the same arguments. Funny story... He moved to Arizona about 2 months ago from Oceanside because he could no longer afford it and he couldn't have the life he wanted due to the politics in the city council. Go figure...

hey if someone wants to live in a place where human feces is on the sidewalk and you have to avoid it by stepping around it all because California offers a life that is so "great"... They can have it.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
On an absolute dollar for dollar you were correct, but looking at it from a real world perspective many people would pay less because of the price of the house plus benefit from no state income tax. These are actual things people would consider if moving.
Plus in TX you get more home for the same dollar as in CA. It isn't just taxes. Kinda like the difference between a Chevy and a Mercedes. One costs more but you get more. Then in TX, you pay the same and get more.

Compare a 20 year old 1500 sq ft home in an average suburb of Dallas to the same in say, Sacramento.

I was in Dallas earlier this year and there were a LOT of new homes being built in the $200,000.00 range. Where is that in CA in a similar sized city? Where in Sacramento?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California