Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 07:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I just got back from Arizona. I checked out Tempe, Scottsdale, Gilbert and Prescott. If anyone wants my opinion on any location dm me and I'll give you my review. On the whole in Az people are nice, streets are clean and graffiti free, roads are smooth. The temp was 98 but it felt like a Ca 90. It rained hard today so refreshing!! I was looking for homeless and saw 3 in Tempe 1 in Prescott. No tents or homeless camps one shopping cart. There was a store at state line selling guns and Ammo.
You mean you didn’t find any homeless taking over public parks like the ones I discovered in supposedly upscale Santa Monica when I went to visit in November?

Old 09-23-2019, 08:07 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
I’ll add my $.02 before this thread is closed.

I’m a native Southern Californian and spent most of my adult life in North San Diego County. I had my career, family, and home there and planned to never leave.

My neighborhood demographic changed when the subprime mortgage era began. It wasn’t a racist thing...remember, I’m native SoCal. It was a lack of respect for other’s privacy and property, peace and quiet, and right to enjoy their home without others forcing their lifestyle upon me. I also saw my longtime neighbors get greedy, pull the equity out of their homes, and spend it on new cars and opening businesses during a very unstable economic time. And one by one, my long-time neighbors were foreclosed on. My neighborhood became prime territory for predatory, shady realtors and flippers, and because of this situation, I watched my own home decline in value.

Also, the Great Recession made secure employment a thing of the past. I was laid off; spouses’ position was tenuous.

Additionally, California was experiencing a huge drought, temperatures were increasing at (to me) an alarming rate and there had already been 2 massive wildfires in SD County. I was, and still am, concerned about climate change...anyone who thinks it doesn’t exist is in denial. I also was, and still am concerned, about the water situation in SoCal and other areas.

Finally, just about everyone I cared about had left SD or SoCal completely. My adult child and their SO were still in the Bay Area in grad school (they have since also left), and when I visited, I couldn’t believe the filth, mentally ill people, just overall chaos and decline in a once-beautiful area...just negotiating BART was crazy-stressful, and this was a few years ago, so I know it’s worse now. I also couldn’t believe the amount of rent they paid for a crappy, 1960’s-era apartment.

I won’t even go into the crazy gridlocked traffic in SoCal and how it took strategic planning to drive an hour or more to a place that was just a few miles away. I lived 7 miles from the beach but just stopped going, it wasn’t worth the hassle. And I won’t go into detail about the increased property crime, street beggars, graffiti, gang wars and ghetto birds that dominated my once-peaceful neighborhood.

So, we looked round and said, “this isn’t the California we spent our lives in”, and left. I don’t believe California, or a good part of this country, has ever fully recovered from the Great Recession, or as I like to call it, the Crash, because that's what it felt like, a huge crash with shockwaves that are still continuing.

I’m not especially happy with where I live now. I’m looking around to leave, don’t know if I will. I would have much preferred to stay in California, but I just couldn’t. I miss it very much, but it doesn’t exist anymore, except in my memories.

BTW, I’m not an economist, but it feels to me that the USA is heading for another Crash, and very soon. Just thought I would throw that in there.

I didn’t plan to write an essay but I did. I don’t care if it’s deleted, and if anyone wants to criticize or make derogatory comments, knock yourself out because I won’t be coming back to this thread. It was started with good intentions, but, human nature being what it is....

Last edited by happygrrrl; 09-23-2019 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 08:08 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Quote:
Mods should keep it open and kick her out. She's a troll and vile
I agree. I don’t understand how someone can get away with all the vile insults. Perhaps the mod isn’t aware of kttams comments.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
I just got back from Arizona. I checked out Tempe, Scottsdale, Gilbert and Prescott. If anyone wants my opinion on any location dm me and I'll give you my review. On the whole in Az people are nice, streets are clean and graffiti free, roads are smooth. The temp was 98 but it felt like a Ca 90. It rained hard today so refreshing!! I was looking for homeless and saw 3 in Tempe 1 in Prescott. No tents or homeless camps one shopping cart. There was a store at state line selling guns and Ammo.
On your next trip maybe you should drive through Phoenix

published pursuant to fair use doctrine source: https://www.allaboutarizonanews.com/...pment-program/

Old 09-23-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
On your next trip maybe you should drive through Phoenix

published pursuant to fair use doctrine source: https://www.allaboutarizonanews.com/...pment-program/
Maybe you should. Or any of the other many beautiful places people on this thread have spoken about and been to.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Maybe you should. Or any of the other many beautiful places people on this thread have spoken about and been to.
I've been to Arizona, but that's slightly off topic isn't it? I was responding to a poster who couldn't find any homeless in Arizona, I was just trying to help him out

Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I've been to Arizona, but that's slightly off topic isn't it? I was responding to a poster who couldn't find any homeless in Arizona, I was just trying to help him out
I can appreciate that. Not as easy finding homeless in Arizona.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I can appreciate that. Not as easy finding homeless in Arizona.
sure thing, glad I could help

Old 09-23-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I can appreciate that. Not as easy finding homeless in Arizona. I remember when there weren’t nearly as many homeless in California. Or illegals. Or even those guys that make a living asking for spare change. Perhaps it’s their side job. They eat better than I do. They don’t even offer to wipe down your windows any more at the local gas places. They offer nothing in return.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:30 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
I said I saw 4 homeless and you know I'm not male. I would take that street over a great portion of streets in LA. I don't even see a tent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California