Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 08:25 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I can't find one thing about that on Action News Now. I'm curious because I'm not sure how they knew the criminal history of someone who they refer to as "John Doe", that simply makes no sense.
^^ haha, I was super confused by that post too. I had no idea how it had anything to do with the topic.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Well I'm one of those fresh outta Cali implants here. And yes, I can just tell there is a bit of wall that goes up whenever I tell anyone I am from California. As soon as I use the code word 'escapee', they usually relax, cause it means I am seeking all the policies that CA is not.

Except for one lady, also from California, trying to sell us something, she was so excited that we were from CA, and like a classic Bay area liberal, she just assumed we were one of them, and I was like, um, no, we are not what you think we are. We hate what the Bay area has become, get it now?
It seems odd that you feel you need to explain yourself to other residents of Arizona in order for them to 'relax'. I've spent a lot of time in Arizona and I never met anyone who cared where I came from or what my politics were.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Yep. White American conservatives are stupid because they do not like income redistribution, as in "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs". Right...
Oh please! You're fine with income redistribution as long as it goes to the big corporations, the big banks and Wall Street.

God forbid, though, it go to give Jose (your landscaper) or Maria (your babysitter) health coverage....right?

That's how warped (and, quite frankly, racist) the conservative mindset is....You'd rather see your money in the hands of people you'll never know in your lifetime (whom you assume to be white and have "earned" it), rather than helping the tan or brown people who provide you a service.

Last edited by kttam186290; 09-10-2019 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-10-2019, 09:11 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
This is mean to be a discussion for conservatives about leaving Cali, but all feel free to chime in if ya want.....

If you're leaving, where are you going, and what are your main reasons for leaving, money or politics? Or both?
I'm from Montana. Moved to SoCal in 1984, mostly because at the time I could make a better living where there were more people with disposable incomes. Really liked Los Angeles, love the high desert, still miss it. Did well enough for a couple decades. Probably would have stayed, crazy politics and all, but the regulatory climate for my business segment gradually became untenable, thus financially nonviable. So essentially the crazy politics made the money go away.

If I'm going to be broke I might as well do it back in Montana, where life is cheaper, slower, and as yet lacks crazy politics. So in 2012, I moved home to the Northern Wastes, where I will probably live out my days...

....and where I don't need bars on my windows, like the new owner put on my old desert place. Good grief, how did it go so far downhill?? when I moved there, we seldom even locked our doors.

The rest of the family (having followed me to CA) are still in the Bay area, but are in the process of getting set to retire back in MT, for much the same reasons.

That we're a bunch of redneck deplorables at heart? that steered the decision, but wasn't the prime factor; we get along well enough with the liberal set (in fact most of my friends in SoCal are liberals), so long as they don't intrude on our rights.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:30 PM

426 posts, read 353,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
....and where I don't need bars on my windows, like the new owner put on my old desert place. Good grief, how did it go so far downhill?? when I moved there, we seldom even locked our doors.
As Los Angeles gentrified and many areas became better, a whole lot of gang bangers and other riffraff moved out to the Inland Empire or Palmdale/Lancaster area because it is so much cheaper.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
As Los Angeles gentrified and many areas became better, a whole lot of gang bangers and other riffraff moved out to the Inland Empire or Palmdale/Lancaster area because it is so much cheaper.
Wasn't even that. When I was last down there in 2014, I couldn't help but notice how in just two years, Lancaster had gone from the odd furtive perp, to roving gangs in broad daylight. So I asked about it... and was told that when the Feds told LA County they had to do something about their overcrowded jails, LAC reduced the jail population by picking out the more-troublesome prisoners... and releasing them into the Antelope Valley.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Wasn't even that. When I was last down there in 2014, I couldn't help but notice how in just two years, Lancaster had gone from the odd furtive perp, to roving gangs in broad daylight. So I asked about it... and was told that when the Feds told LA County they had to do something about their overcrowded jails, LAC reduced the jail population by picking out the more-troublesome prisoners... and releasing them into the Antelope Valley.

"Roving gangs" ??? What? ...Did you see two or more young brown people standing next to each other?

Seriously, I go out to Palmdale to visit my parents, and my brother and his family all of the time and I have never seen what you're talking about.

I don't drive deep into the east side of town into the well-known "ghetto" neighborhoods, but I primarily stay west of the 10th Street West corridor in both Lancaster and Palmdale.

Not once in the last 15 years have I seen "roving gangs" at all. If such a thing were commonplace, I'd have heard about it from my dad or my brother, both of whom are very pro-law enforcement and very opinionated about gang members and ghetto dwellers.

It's like going to Las Vegas, you know to stay out of the neighborhood around the Stratosphere, most parts of North Las Vegas and away from Boulder Highway.

Last edited by kttam186290; 09-11-2019 at 12:37 AM..

Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 AM

Randomly assorted young men in groups of half a dozen or so (tho mostly not 'brown', far as I noticed), loitering about old downtown and north Sierra Hwy; some were fairly obviously dealing (passing cars stop, windows roll down, small objects are exchanged). Had never seen that before and I lived out there 1997-2012. Went to see my mechanic and wondered why there was practically a highway tunneled into the gov't storage yard across from his shop... he said same problem, everything small enough to haul off had walked with Jesus.

Sure, you'll never see this in any of the better/newer parts of town; it's still a lovely place to live. But come down to the older parts; things have changed. And mind you I used to live out on the east side, and back then it was perfectly fine. Now, not so much.

And BTW somewhere in the previous year, while my desert house was being a rental, I had $15,000 worth of metal goods stolen from my property, plus a car vandalized, and could even point at who did it (because some of my stolen stuff was laying in plain sight over at their granddad's house down the way) and could not even get the sheriff's dept. to take a report.

Last edited by Reziac; 09-11-2019 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: more thinks

Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I can't find one thing about that on Action News Now. I'm curious because I'm not sure how they knew the criminal history of someone who they refer to as "John Doe", that simply makes no sense.
There was no John Doe. I made up the name to avoid getting a lawsuit, hurting the reputation of a known "alleged" criminal offender. But reports like that are on the air maybe two-three times a month. We let them go until they kill someone.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:10 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
That's how warped (and, quite frankly, racist) the conservative mindset is....You'd rather see your money in the hands of people you'll never know in your lifetime (whom you assume to be white and have "earned" it), rather than helping the tan or brown people who provide you a service.
Oh c'mon, do you liberals always see racism lurking around every corner? This thread keeps getting dragged off topic by you guys.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California