Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 AM

740 posts, read 456,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Why would I send you a dime, mike? You have stated you don’t care a fig about anyone but yourself.

Your pledge to transfer the money to the Salvation Army? If I wanted to pick them as a charitable institution, why would I use you as a middle man?

You’re sputtering. It wasn’t my intent to make you upset. Nor my intent to particularly support this law we are discussing. My point in responding in this thread is to point out that it is the majority of drivers themselves who called for this regulation.

You then went off into the weeds about “dog eat dog world”, etc. but, even if ignoring that scientific evidence contradicts your claim, any objective observation of the world negates your claim that “no one really cares about others”. It’s just horse puckey. Some, many, care. Some don’t.

So you talked a big talked and when called upon on, you failed to walk your talk? I call these people Politicians. Have a nice day Senator Tulemutt. Keep telling yourself how awesome you are. By the way, I believe your story about you helping all those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 10:32 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
So you talked a big talked and when called upon on, you failed to walk your talk? I call these people Politicians. Have a nice day Senator Tulemutt. Keep telling yourself how awesome you are. By the way, I believe your story about you helping all those people.
Not to get into the little love fest between you two, but how is someone not sending a stranger $20K to donate to charity failing to “walk your talk”. By the way it’s “talk the talk” and “walk the walk”.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:38 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Hi mike .... nice rant. But it’s horse-puckey. The scientific fact is: our species, homo sapiens, are social primates. We, like all social primates, are biologically structured to very much care about other homo sapiens with whom we share a social grouping. (That last emphasized descriptor is very important to my point.) This is, in fact, one of our survival mechanisms.

Mindsets that tend to conservative ideological thinking overlook that, if they ever consider it at all.

Liberal leaning mindsets tend to over embrace it, failing to understand the key point italicized.

Makes for quite a mess in large societies.

The function I refer to is known as Dunbar’s Number (which you can look up if you are curious.) The problem Dunbar’s Number identifies is that homo sapiens have a natural limitation where true empathy falls apart when primary social attachment (size of social band ... troop, clan, grouping) exceeds approximately 150 - 175 individuals ... which, obviously, societies of our era have long ago exceeded by mind-boggling exponentials.

However, our population/societal excesses don’t mean “everyone is self absorbed” and doesn’t care about others. We still do. It’s part of our nature. We just can’t manage the dichotomy well. Still, the social concern mechanism exists. Quite active in many. Quite latent and obscured in others.

As for me, since you tried to label me, um: I’m a retired enlisted military war veteran who ran my own small business (as you self-describe) for a full second career. I raised a small family and have been active for about 30 years as a volunteer in assisting other (mostly disabled) veterans (and some non-vets) obtain benefits, medical services, and with housing issues, and suicide counseling. I have been lucky with building a fair amount of wealth. Last 2 years I spent well over $40,000 assisting a few veterans, and, in addition, just bought (cash - just under $100K) an old house in need of total rebuild for one homeless veteran in particular (who has excellent construction skills but who was suicidally lost in PTSD and depression) to rehab on a ‘rent to purchase’ agreement out of which I will not earn a dime ... (but which places him in a position to gain both a home and personal pride through sense of earned accomplishment).

Just for fun I’ll mention one other example of my commitment to caring about others: I’m a nut about cleaning litter and debris out of our harbors and waterways (where I live on a small, primitive sailboat, my lifestyle of choice ... one that is so minimalistic as to have nearly no excess or strain on environment or energy compared to typical modern western lifestyle.) I am a minimalist.

So yeah, I feel qualified to call your (bolded) declaration above: horsepuckey. And no, I’m not a Democrat.
Ideologies are poor excuses for lazy intellects.”

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tulemutt again." ---->---->

Old 09-13-2019, 10:45 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tulemutt again." ---->---->
Well thanks.

Somewhat hilariously you might enjoy that *someone* else just sent me this comment attached to a ‘rep point’:
Quote:
“You are such a ****ing liar!”
I presume the comment author doesn’t realize that “rep points” are the same as FaceBook “likes”?

To whomever “authored” the rep, uh, you are welcome to your opinion. But there are several regular contributors to the forum who know me personally, have seen my boats, my military retirement I.D., pictures of me in Vietnam (with my name printed in the captions), and know my minimalist lifestyle. But you have yo’self a nice day thinking whatever you like

Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM

689 posts, read 973,333 times
As a former contract employee for a world-famous software company, I can tell you it's not all sweetness and light. Though my hourly rate was quite strong, we had to fund our own health insurance, had zero control as to how many hours (pay) we were guaranteed each week/month/project, we paid all of our own expenses related to our work, we filed our own quarterly income taxes, the rules and regs changed on a whim and worst of all, because we were 'contractors' and not employees, they could change our hourly/project rate whenever and however they liked. I saw my pay, virtually, sliced in half for a portion of my work because they decided to cut corners. Of course, the tasks were identical as was the time spent to complete them.

True, the system may work for people who use contract work as a part-time gig, but many, many of us relied upon it for our full-time income and it's always been a win for the employer. Most of my colleagues, eventually, moved on because the stress and uncertainties were just too high.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:21 PM

175 posts, read 183,166 times
Democrats, once again, destroying anything that's good in life.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:31 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
Democrats, once again, destroying anything that's good in life.
I’m genuinely curious how this affects you, and others here condemning the move as democrat insanity. Apparently the majority of drivers are the ones that called for the ruling. In what way does it change your life? Are you an independent Uber driver who liked the way it was? Are you an Uber investor who might now realize slightly less stock valuation? What?

Old 09-13-2019, 04:01 PM

175 posts, read 183,166 times
Quote:
I’m genuinely curious how this affects you, and others here condemning the move as democrat insanity. Apparently the majority of drivers are the ones that called for the ruling. In what way does it change your life? Are you an independent Uber driver who liked the way it was? Are you an Uber investor who might now realize slightly less stock valuation? What?
The cost of rides is going to increase and I'm gonna have to foot the bill because of the idiots in Sacramento.

Everything they do increases the costs of everything.

Every time a democrat enact a policy, it hurts the poor and middle class more than anyone else.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:14 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
The cost of rides is going to increase and I'm gonna have to foot the bill because of the idiots in Sacramento.
Not if you're moving to Nashville, right?

Old 09-13-2019, 04:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:

Everything they do increases the costs of everything.

Every time a democrat enact a policy, it hurts the poor and middle class more than anyone else.
Yeah, but free-market economics will still dictate whether or not you choose to use Uber or Lyft. So you don't have to foot the bill for anything, unless you choose to.

Also, "the democrats" know very well that doing something like this could very well harm/kill these companies/industries, and obviously that's a risk they're willing to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California