Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 03:24 AM

371 posts, read 637,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Now Assembly Bill 5 is signed into law and will take effect in January. So businesses will automatically reclassify hundreds of thousands of contractors as bona fide employees with benefits, right?

Not so fast.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...are-responding

Pretty much everything is up in the air. The law's wording is so vague that companies are still trying to figure out what to do.

The real risk for a lot of us is, as a colleague put it, not the actual risk posed by the law, but the perceived risk that clients see, especially those who are not located in California (if the contractor is in CA, the company has to follow CA law for that contractor). All it takes is a skittish legal department to blacklist California-based contractors.

Last edited by Jehjeh; 09-30-2019 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: Deleted extra blank lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 09:21 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
It's like Newsome is trying to think up ways to destroy Ca faster

Old 10-06-2019, 05:35 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
They have to be employees of the company now, with all the rules and requirements that entails. No more work the hours you can or want to. No more independent jobs as a side job.
The Democrats are so beholden to the unions they do anything the unions say so the unions will continue to fund their election.
i don't know who started this idea but it has nothing to do with dems. i know NOBODY that wants this. it won't work anyway. they won't hire us and we will NOT work for them. the whole thing will die with no workers.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:50 PM

7,092 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Uber and Lyft plan to use a lot of money to fight this in court.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:16 PM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
It's like Newsome is trying to think up ways to destroy Ca faster
I know! It's almost as if he's penalizing people for getting a side hustle.

He's ruining it for anyone who wants to work or work on an extra side hustle. Feed the lazy and penalize the workers. that seems to be his motto. My god man, recall this maniac now!

change.org recall Newson now!

Old 10-07-2019, 02:46 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
Pretty much everything is up in the air. The law's wording is so vague that companies are still trying to figure out what to do.

The real risk for a lot of us is, as a colleague put it, not the actual risk posed by the law, but the perceived risk that clients see, especially those who are not located in California (if the contractor is in CA, the company has to follow CA law for that contractor). All it takes is a skittish legal department to blacklist California-based contractors.
Which they will.

The gig economy is now defunct in California.

Anyone who made money from the gig economy now has Newsom and California Democrats to thanks for the evisceration of their ability to make money part-time or full-time.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Some companies will sue the law all the way up to the supreme court and it will get blocked or exempt.

I think this kind of pervasive law is anti-competitive and highly anti-liberty. If businesses were using workers for a few months just to deliver amazon packages and they pay these people well like $18/hr. Now suddenly they have to be converted to employees where they have to pay $15/hr and have some benefits. It may seem like a win at first. But now the business can only employ 2-3 workers instead of 5-6. Since it's difficult to fire people and you have to pay for unemployment, many businesses will just hire only a few. They can't afford to keep everybody on payroll.

This goes for all kinds of gigs, so what now? Food delivery people must be employees? Why if they don't wanna work 40 hours a week? As an employee the employer can dictate your work hours and conditions.

These are very big government legislation that will kill all kinds of industries from hollywood, tech, food, trucking, and retail.

Be careful what you wished for, why would anyone be dumb enough to be a low wage employee forced to work the minimum required work hours at the employer's terms just for min wage salary and bad health insurance plans.

It's the government that needs to step up and provide better universal healthcare. More businesses will flee CA or forced to cut back services.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Uber and Lyft plan to use a lot of money to fight this in court.
I can make $60/hr driving for uber just 2-3 hours is enough for me. But if I was forced to become an employee, they will make you drive 8 hours a day for what? $15/hrs and with my own car? Hell no. This kind of law destroys wealth for everybody because bad government making bad assumption that gig workers are underpaid. How about fix the expensive healthcare costs? Nobody should pay a ransom each month just to get decent healthcare.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
It’s that stupid congress woman from San Diego.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:32 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can make $60/hr driving for uber just 2-3 hours is enough for me. But if I was forced to become an employee, they will make you drive 8 hours a day for what? $15/hrs and with my own car? Hell no. This kind of law destroys wealth for everybody because bad government making bad assumption that gig workers are underpaid. How about fix the expensive healthcare costs? Nobody should pay a ransom each month just to get decent healthcare.
A lot of Uber drivers have side business, they told us. They don’t want to be full time employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California