Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 04:54 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,264,118 times

Advertisements

Folks here can now sleep soundly knowing that potential replacement Faulconer is not aligned with el cucuy. Proceed with the recall.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:06 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,025,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I'm a Democrat, voted for Biden, signed the petition. Incompetence is not partisan.
Same here! The French Laundry incident was the last straw for me. At that point, I realized I could no longer keep defending this man.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:08 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,025,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's sad were at the juncture in time where Donald Trump Jr. actually thinks he holds any sway.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:41 PM

1,020 posts, read 768,311 times
I feel it's important to keep this top of mind.....

Newsom is raking in the dough as a consequence of the lockdown.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/02/2...ate-companies/

Old 03-02-2021, 10:09 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,925,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Actually there are plenty of legitimate reasons to recall Newsom, even before this pandemic.
sure thing

Old 03-02-2021, 10:14 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,925,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Good for Faulconer. Charlie Baker hasn't been very loyal either and things are going well for him in Mass.
uh huh...like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, look at this one

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...ornia-governor

Old 03-03-2021, 09:24 AM

26,593 posts, read 26,486,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Actually there are plenty of legitimate reasons to recall Newsom, even before this pandemic.
There were?

Politico: Governor Newsom Given High Marks for His Coronavirus Response:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-...igh-marks.html

Old 03-03-2021, 11:48 AM

3,338 posts, read 2,263,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It kind of seems like in the beginning San Diego did take some more drastic steps than the city San Francisco with regards to some outdoor recreation. I don't recall them banning surfing there.

Fines were issued for violations though to people like SD: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...w-15441092.php

But as the pandemic went on and we learned more seems like San Diego moderated more so than SF and the Bay Area did overall and found better balance.

Both San Diego city and county as well as Los Angeles city and county both cracked down on water activites ever since a "scientist" from Scripps Ranch stated that water activities might help spread COVID in the seawater or freshwater as well due to runoff.

Cities in both San Diego and Los Angeles counties mostly had fenced off beaches within city limits, and they were able to persuade the state to do the same to state beaches within city limits. Even though state beaches and parks technically don't need to comply under state jurisdiction and some stay open in other areas of the state. However the two counties went a bit farther and prohibited water activites off shore too including surfing from rocks or boats. Counties make health decisions and control waters off shore as they are considered unincorporated areas.
Its interesting how Carlsbad kept their open land off limits the longest as just five years ago the city was ran by all republican council. Yes Carlsbad this time actually policed it rather aggressively with fines and police circling, there are some other SoCal cities that closed public amenities on paper(likely giving in to daily complaints from neighbors) but with zero penalties or enforcement(not even chasing residents away) or in other words it was purely advisory.

Some cities in Bay Area including SF did issue citations others did not. I heard Berkeley didn't or at least based on info last summer before the second lockdown. I haven't received info on SF issuing citations on those engaged in outdoor activities though or related. Probably on open bars and salons.
Santa Cruz, which is south of the Bay Area literally turned into a police state for a while. They literally cited people for coming down from the Bay Area as well as a couple embracing each other in an open area.

Apparently some parts of the state including cities and counties did not take enforcement actions at all including many in Orange County, quite a different world from neighboring San Diego and Los Angeles. Yet Orange County didn't become worse in COVID even though its pretty much just as dense in population and businesses with plenty of people from the neighboring counties as well.

Though in the end I would likely prefer some one from Orange County regardless of partisan to replace Galvin Newsom than an official from the Bay Area, LA, or SD. As I heard that most OC politicans with a few exceptions even Democrats are generally resistant to overregulation, at least Santa Ana and Buena Park had been Democrat majority for a while but they turned down things like plastic bag bans and food truck bans.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 03-03-2021 at 12:04 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 11:56 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,748,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Both San Diego city and county as well as Los Angeles city and county both cracked down on water activites ever since a "scientist" from Scripps Ranch stated that water activities might help spread COVID in the seawater or freshwater as well due to runoff.

Cities mostly had fenced off beaches within city limits, and they were able to presuade the state to do the same to state beaches within city limits. Even though state beaches and parks technically don't need to comply and some stay open in other areas of the state.

That is funny as a company I have some involvement with, has tested a product showing that salt kills the Virus.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:12 PM

3,338 posts, read 2,263,126 times
I originally thought it was a UCSD scientist that stated surfing spreads the virus. It caused strong division in the "surf" community as they typically as a rule support Progressive policies and vote Democrat. Boating was banned in SD as well. I be curious whether it means boaters who live on boats could not leave their docks to head out to sea and dock somewhere else?

Though seeing how San Diego was one of those cities in CA that almost resembled a police state last spring(helicopters hovering, police SUVs/motorcycles on trails and walkways, people cited for being on grass doing what was vaguely allowed recreation/exercise, police enforcing vague and arbitrarily given orders) I would not trust any one in office there in 2020 to rule the state.

Mr. Newsom ruled San Francisco before California I be curious whether he would had banned surfing or water activities off San Francisco's shores if he was in office in 2020. Interestingly the SF council after him didn't. In other words "Ban" Francisco didn't ban surfing or anything like that. The sun really rises from the west in 2020. Ban Francisco was also among the first to lift checkout bag fees in the nation. Ironically they were the first to restrict customer's bagging choices in the country back in the days.

Interestingly the first effort to recall Newsom was due to the planned power shutoffs that lasts for days and weeks. Even though it was caused by the 20 some years of incompetent oversight of utility giants post deregulation in CA. And the planned shutoffs were decided due to a deal with the courts and companies while Jerry Brown was in office.

I still remember how Grey Davis was removed from office due to the Enron fiasco and utility bankrupcy that happened during his term. Despite how the issue started during Pete Wilson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California