Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2021, 09:25 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,448,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
The Attorney General tends to be the more frequent launching pad for aspiring Governors. Jerry Brown, George Deukmejian both went from the AG to the Governor's Office. The Lt Governor doesn't have much power so usually its tough to raise money or show that you have done anything from that office to voters. So it was thought to be a career ender for politicians.

True and that's a good point. I didn't know Kounalakis' provenance. Thanks for the info. I was thinking with all the shuffling around of positions though, the AG included once Becerra goes to DC, the position would just default to the Lt. Governor. Another thing too, because of the nature of the two part question on a recall, the low entry fee to be on the ticket makes for a really cheap campaign. If I was in a position which was historically a dead end, I think I'd take advantage of the circumstances and run for the open seat. I guess we'll see how this pans out if it all materializes.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Then how foolish of those people. I can't believe that anyone would not be able to see beyond simply getting him out of office.

That's the point of a recall though. Electing a replacement is incidental. People who have been affected by his policies might feel differently than you about the core mission. At the bare minimum, Newsom will have to justify to the public why he deserves to keep his job. I think the situation warrants that.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree and this thing is funded by potential Republican candidates and the "open everything" nutters. And I don't believe that most people who say they would be happy with a democrat are being completely honest. I think this has everything to do with getting a Republican in the Governor's mansion who unfortunately will probably destroy everything they touch which seems to a common trait among Republican politicians. This is a move born of desperation to get a Republican elected, otherwise they would just wait a few months save the state a hundred million dollars and run their candidate in the 2022 election.

The money is a drop in the bucket and as I already said, the LEGISLATURE can always vote to change the state constitution's recall process if it's such a big deal. The rest of what you're saying borders on a conspiracy theory. What's sort of humorous though is you're afraid a Republican governor would be an 'open everything nutter' and abuse the state ESA the way Newsom is right now and make their own statutory changes outside the scope of that power. It's like you almost see the problem out of the corner of your eye. Almost.

The thing is, executive power isn't absolute so nobody could really use that position to "open everything" anyway. Besides that, a "nutter" as you put it occupying the governor's seat would be the kick in the pants for the legislature to rescind the ESA and finally write laws to deal with the covid situation.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:44 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,162,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Not a huge fan of Newsom, but he is handling things really well, in my opinion. He's pretty transparent, explaining what's happening, what's working, what's not working, etc. My biggest beef with him is I can't stand listening to the way....he....talks....with....the.....lengthy....a nd .....weird......pauses.....and .....phrasing.......drives me nuts LOL. But, overall, he's doing a fine job.
LOL, I agree with you 100%, in real time.

Changing horses midstream right now while Newsom is working on accelerating the rollout of the vaccines will only delay and distract from COVID response. A recall is horribly ill-advised right now.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:57 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
No no a wonderful man -just show us the receipts from the 5 billion you took from road taxes to fight the war against global warming
Sure thing as soon as you show proof that he actually did that

Old 01-12-2021, 09:59 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
LOL, I agree with you 100%, in real time.

Changing horses midstream right now while Newsom is working on accelerating the rollout of the vaccines will only delay and distract from COVID response. A recall is horribly ill-advised right now.
It wouldn't be an instant removal. There would be a transition. And he himself is not the one doing the roll out, that he gives direction to. I would think they have a plan in place by now.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:10 AM

4,021 posts, read 3,302,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
True and that's a good point. I didn't know Kounalakis' provenance. Thanks for the info. I was thinking with all the shuffling around of positions though, the AG included once Becerra goes to DC, the position would just default to the Lt. Governor. Another thing too, because of the nature of the two part question on a recall, the low entry fee to be on the ticket makes for a really cheap campaign. If I was in a position which was historically a dead end, I think I'd take advantage of the circumstances and run for the open seat. I guess we'll see how this pans out if it all materializes.
Its still unclear of how talented of a politician she is. Before running for Lt Governor, she worked for her dad and she was the Ambassador to Hungry. An ambassadorship can sometimes be awarded on the merits to someone who is talented in diplomacy, but they are also sometimes awarded to reward people who donate large sums of money to the party. Her dad's money and his history of fundraising for the Democratic party likely put her in that second category.

But she doesn't have a long political track record. Newsom has both name recognition as both Governor, Lt Gov and Mayor of San Francisco and people who owe him a lot of favors. When he was Mayor of San Francisco, he was the first to marry gays when most politicians were still arguing for civil unions, so he likely will always have the backing of the gays for that. He also has wealthy patrons like the Getty family. When Kamala Harris left the Senate and when Xavier Becerra left the Attorney General's office, Newsom appointed their successors, which means that there are lots politicians in powerful positions who owe will him favors.

If Kounalakis goes after Newsom, she just isn't burning bridges with Newsom, she is alienating the people who are in Newsom's camp and owe him favors. Kounalakis has family money, that has gotten her were she is today, but she doesn't have a strong base of supporters anywhere. You are interested enough to comment on politics and you still don't know that much about her, how much do you think less informed voters in the state know about her? Her dad has money, but 600 million dollars isn't the same as tech billionaire money either. Meg Whitman, Steve Poizner, lots of other people with bigger bank rolls have tried and not succeeded in using their fortune to buy political office in California. It takes a lot of money to buy name recognition when you don't have it.

That is why I am saying she doesn't go after Newsom.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:11 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
The money is a drop in the bucket and as I already said, the LEGISLATURE can always vote to change the state constitution's recall process if it's such a big deal. The rest of what you're saying borders on a conspiracy theory. What's sort of humorous though is you're afraid a Republican governor would be an 'open everything nutter' and abuse the state ESA the way Newsom is right now and make their own statutory changes outside the scope of that power. It's like you almost see the problem out of the corner of your eye. Almost.

The thing is, executive power isn't absolute so nobody could really use that position to "open everything" anyway. Besides that, a "nutter" as you put it occupying the governor's seat would be the kick in the pants for the legislature to rescind the ESA and finally write laws to deal with the covid situation.
Yeah, you finally got it right I hate 'open everything nutters'. I blame them for the fact that schools are still closed and that restaurants can't open up. So you nailed it, and I don't want to take a chance on one of them being governor.

Our beloved Sheriff in Sac County, Scott Jones and a recently re-elected County Supervisor Sue Frost were among the organizers of an "open California" super spreader event in Ranch Murrieta they are the ones who should be recalled, not Newsom and the funny thing is I don't even like Newsom all that much but he's doing something and given all the nutters in this state who fight him every day I think he's doing a good job.

When local officials in charge of enforcing the law flip off the governor and refuse to do one single thing to slow down the spread of covid how the heck is a shiny new Republican Governor going to fix that?

And IMO you are so blinded by your hate of Newsom that you can't see the problem at all.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:24 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Not a huge fan of Newsom, but he is handling things really well, in my opinion. He's pretty transparent, explaining what's happening, what's working, what's not working, etc. My biggest beef with him is I can't stand listening to the way....he....talks....with....the.....lengthy....a nd .....weird......pauses.....and .....phrasing.......drives me nuts LOL. But, overall, he's doing a fine job.

I'm a Dem and I did vote to oust Gray Davis back in the day, and I voted for Schwartzenneger and I'm still fine with those decisions. Gray Davis was way more into fundraising than governing and he didn't understand his constituency whatsoever and he didn't handle things well right after 9/11. Newsom is a far better governor. This move to get him ousted won't fly, because people like him and he's doing a good job. Davis was ousted because even Dems were unhappy with him. And any push to recall a governor in CA will take a lot of Dems and there aren't enough of them unhappy with him to make it work.
Every time I hear the Govenor talk I want to scream TOASTMASTERS!!! Aside from that I have no confidence anyone else would do better job in these circumstances and I'm not voting to recall him.
.....I'm not a big fan of his at all but I don't see bringing someone else in to replace him would be beneficial. The recall is just punitive and we actually may get someone worse.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:51 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
That's the point of a recall though. Electing a replacement is incidental.
One would hope that the point of a recall would be to get a better replacement. Otherwise, it's damned short sighted.

Quote:
People who have been affected by his policies might feel differently than you about the core mission.
I can't imagine anyone who hasn't been affected by his policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California