Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 12:22 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The mass vaccination sites (Dodger Stadium, Disneyland, 49ers stadium, Cal Expo in Sacramento) and simplifying the qualification rules to 65+ will help speed things along. I'm thinking this time next week there's going to be lots of shots being given out.
So, instead of relying on people to just do their normal routine and get the shot along the way at one of the normal sources for such things, we're going to stage a mass event (you know, exactly what we've been ordered not to do on pain of whatever the penalty is this week) and make sure as many get exposed as possible while shooting 'em up just to be safe.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:23 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
At this point, even if Newsom is recalled, I wonder who, in their right mind, would want to take on this cluster of a mess.

Yep. I've said the same thing. It may be enough to scare off some potential candidates but then again, look how poorly someone can do managing the disaster and still have a generally high approval rate. No matter how bad the situation with covid is, it's temporary and if there's a recall and if Newsom goes, someone will gleefully accept that job. The upside to a replacement who indicates they will do things much differently than their predecessor would be spurring the legislature to revoke the emergency powers Newsom has been operating with for nearly a year. That could very much be a game-changer for getting things done like a better vaccination allocation plan.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:26 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Again, the core purpose of the recall (any recall) is not Newsom. The replacement is incidental. Somebody will fill that position, I guarantee it. I'm totally fine if it comes down to simply not Newsom. He deserves to fight for his job at this point. He made himself the defacto ruler of the state so it's not like he didn't invite all the criticism to go along with it.
Interesting. It may seem to some that I want Newsom to fail. Quite the contrary. I want him to succeed. I'd hate to think of who might try and fill those shoes. The old adage of Be careful what you wish for comes to mind. I used to complain about crappy neighbors and was so happy when they moved away only to be equally, if not more, disheartened to see who took their place. Give me my old neighbors back. Please

John Cox is being very vocal right now. Lots of armchair governing but he might not be any more capable than the next guy. Heck, you could probably do just as well in that role. Care to add your name to the list of possible replacements? lol

Old 01-14-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Yep. I've said the same thing. It may be enough to scare off some potential candidates but then again, look how poorly someone can do managing the disaster and still have a generally high approval rate. No matter how bad the situation with covid is, it's temporary and if there's a recall and if Newsom goes, someone will gleefully accept that job. The upside to a replacement who indicates they will do things much differently than their predecessor would be spurring the legislature to revoke the emergency powers Newsom has been operating with for nearly a year. That could very much be a game-changer for getting things done like a better vaccination allocation plan.
If it were simply the Covid situation driving this call for his removal, that would be easy enough to defeat. It's the culmination of other things that have happened in the state since he took office. And to be clear, these instances are not his fault but often the person coming in behind is the one blamed for current conditions.

For example

The Oroville Spillway debacle. Who was inspecting that over the years to find out it was built poorly and would not sustain the force of water it was supposed to endure? Not Newsom or his team? That should have been done years prior under a different administration. Still, he was stuck with it. It did come out okay, though. After they rebuilt the entire thing.

How about the rolling blackouts we were forced to suffer through last summer. Not enough power grids to supply power to all the homes needing it during the squelching summer heat. But letting power be shut off to many households that rely on it to run durable medical equipment for its residents. That's a whole other rant so I'll skip it.

Then, DMV and that CA ID mess. They had years ... YEARS! ... to implement that plan move it along smoothly but waited until the 11th hour to declare to all Californians that they had to have their ID by January 1 2018 or was it 2019? I don't remember. That caused a number of people to miss the deadline because everyone and their mother was trying to get into their local office by the end of the year. Another mess, not created by Newsom but still on his shoulders.

And the latest one ... the whole EDD mess with the countless unemployed residents not getting their benefits because the system was spitting out denials. Yet, fraud ran amok, allowing millions of dollars to be spewed out by the system, paying benefits to prison inmates.

Those are only a few of the things Newsom will be held accountable for except he didn't cause the problem. Still, it falls on his shoulders and it's up to him to come up with a good game plan to stave off future debacles. He should be calling on our Silicon Valley geniuses to come up with secure software that will keep foreign hacks out while still making sure all data input is accurate and not coming from some troll criminal. Let's try to bring our tech solutions into the 21st Century. Make our systems hack proof, fraud proof and secure enough that we trust the information coming from it ... That would make life a whole lot easier and enjoyable. Stop worrying about banning gas vehicles or sending humans to Mars (pardon the pun) on spaceships. Focus on moving this state place where everyone can feel like they matter, instead of simply an inconvenience. $0.02

Oy! It's enough to make your head spin.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:51 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Interesting. It may seem to some that I want Newsom to fail. Quite the contrary. I want him to succeed.
This, exactly, Whoever we're stuck with, no matter how much we may dislike him, it's in our best interests if he does the job well. So I wish him success, defined as doing well for the people of this state.

Last edited by Reziac; 01-14-2021 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 01:03 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Here's an example of what he is up against: "Alameda County is set to vote this Friday whether or not to establish a mass vaccination site at the RingCentral Coliseum." Waiting to vote? The County should declare an emergency and approve it immediately. Newsom can't just wave a magic wand, look at the local red tape he has to deal with.

The mass vaccination sites (Dodger Stadium, Disneyland, 49ers stadium, Cal Expo in Sacramento) and simplifying the qualification rules to 65+ will help speed things along. I'm thinking this time next week there's going to be lots of shots being given out.

If not Newsom, then who? Not John Cox -- he has zero experience managing government agencies or complex projects. Not Kevin Faulconer -- his background is public relations. PR flacks are good at talking, not running complex things. Lt. Gov Kounalakis -- she's been invisible. What is she doing right now to help get the vaccines rolled out?
Great post - can't rep you again.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:05 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Again, the core purpose of the recall (any recall) is not Newsom. The replacement is incidental. Somebody will fill that position, I guarantee it. I'm totally fine if it comes down to simply not Newsom.
But there are many, many of us who are NOT totally fine with that.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:08 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
His background is mayor of a large CA city just like Newsom.
He might have had a chance if he hadn't voted for Trump

Old 01-14-2021, 01:17 PM

274 posts, read 318,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
What the hell would have been wrong with distributing vaccine via the same channels as are used for flu vaccine and whatever else from the very same companies? It's not like they don't already have efficient distribution channels; they do it every fall for flu vaccine, and lo and behold when we go to get a flu shot, there it is at every pharmacy in the land. They even have procedures already in place to make sure you get the right one for your age bracket, so "we need to aim at the most vulnerable" doesn't cut it; the existing channel already does that whenever it's needed. (Eg. if you're over 65 you automatically get the high-dose flu shot and the new pneumonia shot. You don't even need to ask.)

But no, we had to get another layer involved by way of let's have the government be in charge of distribution, because emergency.

Central planning, always with predictable results.
Well of course, that just wouldn't be "equitable", the new buzz word for the vaccine rollout. Many, many more will die at the cost of having to be PC about this, and likely most of them from the very population they're trying to protect. But I digress, as that isn't Newsom alone in control of that so not a recall thing.

Regarding him having to deal with red tape, well that's part of the job. He should be a pit bull, calling Alameda and not letting up until they get moving on this, and making it public that he's holding them accountable. That wouldn't be status quo for a politician though. He, or anyone else that sits in the Governors chair, will always be more interested in self preservation than getting something done on behalf of the people. If holding Alameda accountable to go faster helps him politically, he'll do it, and if it doesn't, he won't. Simple as that.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post

Regarding him having to deal with red tape, well that's part of the job. He should be a pit bull, calling Alameda and not letting up until they get moving on this, and making it public that he's holding them accountable.
Exactly. He's in charge of the state. Either personally hold their feet to the fire or delegate someone who will. If he's powerful enough to threaten holding back funding because a county won't comply with his demands, he's powerful enough to get a county to get the lead out and move on something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California