Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2021, 08:50 AM

957 posts, read 757,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Up to 1.8M signatures.
Get ready for Newsom's conveniently recent hand-picked S.O.S. to find a way to derail legitimate democratic process.
We have a Democratic process in 2022 at which time we will be electing a governor. The recall effort is nothing more than a power grab by a party loyal to Donald J Trump. Governor Ducey of Arizona also ordered the closure of facilities' due to the pandemic, many of which will never open again. He also shut down schools, just as other states controlled by both Republicans and Democrats. Large cities in Arizona also have a homeless problem just as most cities in states with mild winters. And yet I see no serious effort by any group to recall Gov Ducey for his actions during the pandemic. Other than him being a Republican, why do you think that is the case?

Old 02-26-2021, 09:08 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
There's nothing stopping anyone from waiting until 2022 to make their next choice for governor and sitting out any election in between now and then. The recall mechanism has been enshrined in our state constitution for over a hundred years. It is by default a part of the democratic process. Calling it a "power grab" or "coup" or anything else is utter nonsense. If it's so horrible, lobby your state representatives and demand they pass legislation amending the state constitution to strike it wholly from article II.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:26 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
We have a Democratic process in 2022 at which time we will be electing a governor. The recall effort is nothing more than a power grab by a party loyal to Donald J Trump. Governor Ducey of Arizona also ordered the closure of facilities' due to the pandemic, many of which will never open again. He also shut down schools, just as other states controlled by both Republicans and Democrats. Large cities in Arizona also have a homeless problem just as most cities in states with mild winters. And yet I see no serious effort by any group to recall Gov Ducey for his actions during the pandemic. Other than him being a Republican, why do you think that is the case?
Maybe you don't know what's going on in the state or haven't read anything in this thread, covid shutdown isn't the only reason there's a recall going on.

There is no power grab by republicans. Even if a republican was to win, he would be powerless with zero support in this solid blue state. It's an excuse, a fever dream.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:39 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
The Communist party (Democrats) aren't going to take a chance of losing the governorship. If things don't look good for Newsom they will have a Democrat candidate they think will win. The Federal Democrats will give a lot of money for their campaign.
In this extreme Democrat state I can't imagine anything but a Democrat winning.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:04 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The Communist party (Democrats) aren't going to take a chance of losing the governorship. If things don't look good for Newsom they will have a Democrat candidate they think will win. The Federal Democrats will give a lot of money for their campaign.
In this extreme Democrat state I can't imagine anything but a Democrat winning.
First time I've ever agreed with one of your posts, V8 Vega

Registered Dems hold nearly a 2-to-1 voter registration advantage over Republicans. Only 24% of voters are registered Repubs, and there's no way you're going to get millions of Democrats to cross party lines to vote for some lightweight former San Diego mayor.

So really it comes down to will voters punish Newsom for the French Laundry gaffe by replacing him with another Democrat. Or, if the vaccine rollout continues to accelerate, the case numbers continue to drop, schools and businesses reopen, it will all be receding in the rear view mirror and Newsom survives the recall.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:21 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_210 View Post
Maybe you don't know what's going on in the state or haven't read anything in this thread, covid shutdown isn't the only reason there's a recall going on.

There is no power grab by republicans. Even if a republican was to win, he would be powerless with zero support in this solid blue state. It's an excuse, a fever dream.
Of course it's a power grab, and I know about what's going on in the state but I get my news from sources other than Gateway Pundit or Breitbart.

The Republican National Committee is sending $250,000 to help the state GOP force a vote over whether the first-term Democrat should remain in office. https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...blicans-468747

"California GOP Donates $125,000 to Recall Gavin Newsom Campaign After Petition Hits Target"
https://www.newsweek.com/california-...effort-1569354

Recalling Gov. Newsom is a desperation move by the shrinking GOP https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...publican-party

https://infogram.com/recall-donors-1hnp27meo5jmy2g

Taxpayers are going to spend $100,000 for this cheesy attempt to put a Republican in the Governors office even though Newsom will be up for election less than a year after the recall, IMO that's just disgusting.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:23 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Registered Dems hold nearly a 2-to-1 voter registration advantage over Republicans. Only 24% of voters are registered Repubs, and there's no way you're going to get millions of Democrats to cross party lines to vote for some lightweight former San Diego mayor.

So really it comes down to will voters punish Newsom for the French Laundry gaffe by replacing him with another Democrat. Or, if the vaccine rollout continues to accelerate, the case numbers continue to drop, schools and businesses reopen, it will all be receding in the rear view mirror and Newsom survives the recall.
Democrats still make up less than 50% of voters. It's more about convincing Independents than Democrats.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:53 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"California GOP Donates $125,000 to Recall Gavin Newsom Campaign After Petition Hits Target"

Recalling Gov. Newsom is a desperation move by the shrinking GOP https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...publican-party
That's a comically small amount in the face of what today's political campaigns cost. How much do you think Democrats are spending on trying to derail the recall? how much do you think they'll spend on trying to hold onto the governor's seat?

I'd guess both figures will total in the millions of dollars.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:25 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Another person not paying attention, this isn't just because of the french laundry issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Of course it's a power grab, and I know about what's going on in the state but I get my news from sources other than Gateway Pundit or Breitbart.

The Republican National Committee is sending $250,000 to help the state GOP force a vote over whether the first-term Democrat should remain in office. https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...blicans-468747

https://infogram.com/recall-donors-1hnp27meo5jmy2g

Taxpayers are going to spend $100,000 for this cheesy attempt to put a Republican in the Governors office even though Newsom will be up for election less than a year after the recall, IMO that's just disgusting.
I didn't realize your alternate account is mellowmike.

Taxpayers have lost billions under newsom, and stand to lose more. Where's the uproar there? What's disgusting is defending newsom after everything he's done.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:09 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Democrats still make up less than 50% of voters. It's more about convincing Independents than Democrats.
As of October, it's 46% D, 24% R, 24% NPP and 6% other. Biden beat Trump 64-34, so NPP's leaned left roughly 65-35. The Repubs will have to flip lots of left-leaning indies plus get a sizeable chunk of Dems to defect. These numbers show what an uphill climb it will be to recall Newsom. Not impossible, but it will be hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California