Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 10:56 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Like I wrote earlier, this is nothing more than a power grab by the Republican Party.https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...249530860.html
Well that's how politics works... Of course the Republicans are going to try to capitalize on any opportunity. It doesn't mean Newsom isn't doing a bad job.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:35 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Well that's how politics works... Of course the Republicans are going to try to capitalize on any opportunity. It doesn't mean Newsom isn't doing a bad job.
Right? I don't get all this uproar people on here are having about a "power grab". It's done in politics ALL the time by both parties.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
He penalized hard-working business owners who were trying to follow safety protocols and had lone surfers arrested on the beach (back in April) but encouraged the BLM protesters to congregate by the thousands and had cops turn their heads the other way when those protests morphed into riots.
There was a stay at home order and no one was allowed on the beach, he was warned by the Coast Guard and LA Sheriff and he ignored both. There's also a law prohibiting smoking on the beach, do you think it should be ok if it's only one person on the beach and they are smoking, should it be ok for one person without a mask to go into a store as long as everyone else wears masks?

No one encouraged BLM to do anything, they protested and for the most part wore masks. There was no injunction against protests as far as I know. When people riot they get arrested, no one turned their heads the other way. I agree that stores like Walmart and Home Depot should only have been allowed to sell essential goods, but when the Governor of Michigan tried to limit what people could buy in those stores the people in her state wanted to burn her at the stake. Sometimes you can't win for losing

Old 03-01-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
There is no legitimate reason to remove Newsom from office. Republicans figure that if enough people sign up to become the next Governor one of their candidates might squeak through with 5 or 10% of the vote, and that's gaming the system. They now seem to be enthralled with the idea of the Trump sycophant Rich Grennell replacing Newsom. Trump had to make him acting DNI because he wasn't sure he could get the votes for him in the Senate.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There is no legitimate reason to remove Newsom from office. Republicans figure that if enough people sign up to become the next Governor one of their candidates might squeak through with 5 or 10% of the vote, and that's gaming the system. They now seem to be enthralled with the idea of the Trump sycophant Rich Grennell replacing Newsom. Trump had to make him acting DNI because he wasn't sure he could get the votes for him in the Senate.
How is his handling of the pandemic not a legitimate reason? Whether you think he's done a good job or not on that is irrelevant to that question.

That's how the system is set up. Another democrat could win the same way and that is more likely.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:16 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well the beaches are very cold here and most of the time attract few crowds so it probably didn’t seem nearly as necessary. But there times when they closed the parking lots to keep people off the beaches and wouldn’t allow you to stay if you were sitting/laying out. Numerous parks and open spaces were closed around the Bay Area too at some point. So San Diego doesn’t seem any worse overall in that regard.

Also heard of a lot more restaurants/places defying the outdoor dining ban there too. Only one area here did, Danville, and that was very short lived.
Interesting as I remember in my experience San Francisco's parks especially Golden Gate Park, National and municipal recreation areas, and other attractions including Ocean beachfront had been known to get extremely crowded on a normal weekend even though the water is cold, the beach remains a popular attraction as with Golden Gate Park. Both due to San Francisco's population density as well as the sheer number of people from elsewhere due to San Francisco as a tourist attraction. The crowds in tight San Francisco makes San Diego's crowds in most days kid stuff as San Diego and its beaches are much spaced apart.

Some streets has been closed including in Golden Gate park as well as parking lots and certain facilities within but overall the parks and recreation areas remained accessible.

SF joint city and county has its own health department thus independent of other places in the Bay area and state which may set their own rules. Cities with their own Health Department sets own rules separate from the county they are in.

According to this it appears they didn't go too far in this regard of restricting outdoor recreation compared to San Diego and surrounding cities who threatened those on the grass with citations. Even if they didn't actually prosecute(court system was very backlogged due to COVID protocols, jails were being downsized due to social distancing) this shows their mentality towards arbitrary rules.

https://sfrecpark.org/AlertCenter.aspx
San Francisco was known to have the toughest lockdown rules however accessing outdoor recreation is among the allowed activities.

Neighboring San Mateo County though and some cities inside it had tighter restrictions including complete beach obstruction not just parking lot such as complete blockage of park usage for county parks and some city's parks as well. Marin County practically outlawed street parking alongside roads near parks and attractions to discourage San Francisco residents from overwhelming them, this is in addition to closing parking lots. They almost wanted to make it an offence to drive to recreate. However many semi "rural" residents do not have sidewalks and contend with high speed traffic on the road next to their property.

Santa Cruz county south of the bay area was also carried away with writing citations. Even before they ordered every open space including beaches/water closed. I remember the story of one unmarried couple almost getting arrested with the guy being a immigrant uncertain of legal status was caught embracing each other while trying to get out a day before the closures were scheduled to take effect. The guy was afraid such an arrest would affect his immigration status or lead to deportation. I be curious whether it can happen in the santurary state of California particuarly in among the most progressive Santa Cruz. Generally more progressive areas are more proactive with dracon lockdown rules and actually try to enforce them.

Now I realize the purpose of the recall is not solely about just Newsom or how another leader would had done it better, but is to give warning to all elected officials that they cannot use a emergency to abuse police powers aimed at voters on the whelm of unelected bureaucrats or MSM advising them for that matter. Nor should they allow themselves to be used as pawns to push such an agenda. As far as I know they are being controlled by outside forces/advisors to weld their unprecedented newly given police powers to do this and do that since they never faced this situation before and don't know to handle it themselves. While In the past political special interests have to brainwash the House and Senate members first. But now they only have to brainwash the governor. I believe much more officials in any state or local government should face recall particularly the more overzealous local leaders in a power grab. We in reprehensive Republics the constitution does not get suspended nor thrown out the window. Alas many free republics with just a handful of exceptions fall for the power grab. I praise the leaders of Japan, Iceland, Sweden, South Dakota, and Denmark for showing restraint and respecting their power limits and the constitution. Though I don't agree with the worlds leaders push to restart the olympics when normal everyday activities are still shut down a few months before the games are scheduled to begin.

I do understand that it might not make a difference if Jerry Brown, Arnold S, Grey Davis, or Pete Wilson , was in office but its not about the particular leader but the concept of power grab or using them as pawns. Though I am afraid that even if hypothetically the house and senate were able to vote on these orders they would still be successful in passing it into laws thats how things happen in the CA Democrat supermajority.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 03-01-2021 at 01:37 PM..

Old 03-01-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interesting as I remember in my experience San Francisco's parks especially Golden Gate Park, National and municipal recreation areas, and other attractions including Ocean beachfront had been known to get extremely crowded on a normal weekend even though the water is cold, the beach remains a popular attraction as with Golden Gate Park. Both due to San Francisco's population density as well as the sheer number of people from elsewhere due to San Francisco as a tourist attraction. The crowds in tight San Francisco makes San Diego's crowds in most days kid stuff as San Diego and its beaches are much spaced apart.

Some streets has been closed including in Golden Gate park as well as parking lots and certain facilities within but overall the parks and recreation areas remained accessible.

SF joint city and county has its own health department thus independent of other places in the Bay area and state which may set their own rules. Cities with their own Health Department sets own rules separate from the county they are in.

According to this it appears they didn't go too far in this regard of restricting outdoor recreation compared to San Diego and surrounding cities who threatened those on the grass with citations. Even if they didn't actually prosecute(court system was very backlogged due to COVID protocols, jails were being downsized due to social distancing) this shows their mentality towards arbitrary rules.

https://sfrecpark.org/AlertCenter.aspx
San Francisco was known to have the toughest lockdown rules however accessing outdoor recreation is among the allowed activities.

Neighboring San Mateo County though and some cities inside it had tighter restrictions including complete beach obstruction not just parking lot such as complete blockage of park usage for county parks and some city's parks as well. Marin County practically outlawed street parking alongside roads near parks and attractions to discourage San Francisco residents from overwhelming them, this is in addition to closing parking lots. They almost wanted to make it an offence to drive to recreate. However many semi "rural" residents do not have sidewalks and contend with high speed traffic on the road next to their property.

Santa Cruz county south of the bay area was also carried away with writing citations. Even before they ordered every open space including beaches/water closed. I remember the story of one unmarried couple almost getting arrested with the guy being a immigrant uncertain of legal status was caught embracing each other while trying to get out a day before the closures were scheduled to take effect. The guy was afraid such an arrest would affect his immigration status or lead to deportation. I be curious whether it can happen in the santurary state of California particuarly in among the most progressive Santa Cruz. Generally more progressive areas are more proactive with dracon lockdown rules and actually try to enforce them.

Though I agree the purpose of the recall is to show that elected officials cannot use a emergency to abuse police powers aimed at voters on the whelm of unelected bureaucrats advising them or MSM. I believe much more officials should face recall particularly the more overzealous local leaders in a power grab. We in reprehensive Republics the constitution does not get suspended nor thrown out the window. Alas many free republics with just a handful of exceptions fall for the power grab. I praise the leaders of Japan, Iceland, Sweden, South Dakota, and Denmark for showing restraint and respecting their power limits and the constitution. Though I don't agree with the worlds leaders push to restart the olympics when normal everyday activities are still shut down a few months before the games are scheduled to begin.
How much experience do you have at Ocean Beach? It gets crowded when there is good weather but that's maybe 10% of the year at most. The crowds along the PB/MB boardwalk seem just as thick on a typical busy day as what you find in SF. The difference is the thick crowds were more on the eastern side of the city in and around downtown/waterfront.

Yes each county has it's own health department. Berkeley is the only city locally I'm aware of that has its own separate city health department. The do operate independently but 6 of the counties including SF formed a consortium at the beginning of the pandemic and all adopted the same major restrictions for the most part. Beaches and parks is one category they did differ though with some being more strict than others, particularly San Mateo.

I don't live in San Diego anymore so I can't say from personal experience but I don't recall reading about them closing actual parks and open space. According to this link looks like it was facilities and parking lots that got closed, just like here: https://www.sdparks.org/content/sdpa...html.html.html

Old 03-01-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How is his handling of the pandemic not a legitimate reason? Whether you think he's done a good job or not on that is irrelevant to that question.

That's how the system is set up. Another democrat could win the same way and that is more likely.
I don't think he has done a bad job handling the pandemic. None of us even knew how it was transmitted a year ago. At least where I live, most of the closures due to Covid have been ordered by the County, not the State but it doesn't matter because it appears that counties have carte blanche to any and all mandates. Can you name any Governors who you think did a better job? I'm convinced that if wearing masks and social distancing hadn't been politicized every state in the union would have done a far better job at containing this virus.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:21 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
National Republican Party as well as those out of state are contributing big money to the recall effort including Bob Parsons, the found-er of the website hosting platform GoDaddy, kicked in $5,000, according to records.

Oh my gosh. $5,000!!?!?!
In what world is that big money? Maybe rural nowhere-ville Kansas or something.
Newsom spent $58.2M to buy the office of governor back in 2018. His ""rich" rival spent merely a quarter of that. So, please. Let's not pretend this is even a thing because it's not. A three figure max contribution is chump change in a gubernatorial election.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think he has done a bad job handling the pandemic. None of us even knew how it was transmitted a year ago. At least where I live, most of the closures due to Covid have been ordered by the County, not the State but it doesn't matter because it appears that counties have carte blanche to any and all mandates. Can you name any Governors who you think did a better job? I'm convinced that if wearing masks and social distancing hadn't been politicized every state in the union would have done a far better job at containing this virus.
Yes we are all aware of that but that still doesn't answer my question; How is his handling of the pandemic not a legitimate reason to recall him? A lot of people do not approve of the way he handled it and is a big reason why they want him recalled. The entire state is under a tier system that triggers closures/reopening's so not sure what you mean by the county ordered them. Only counties I was aware of being stricter than the state are in the Bay Area and LA County.

CA arguably has had the most restrictions of any state and second to last when it comes to school reopening's. We rank right in the middle when it comes to cases and deaths per capita. So any state with less cases or less deaths per capita or both has arguably done a better job with less restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California