Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 06:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 835,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It is not unusual to find unmolested homes here in the Bay Area...

Each home I bought was original... starting with the 1922 Craftsman Bungalow of 1000 square feet... all the fixtures, windows, etc... all 1922... heck, even the wiring with one outlet in each room was knob and tube with a two fuse box... a 20 amp for outlets and a 15 for lights... thing is it is still this way today... electric never upgraded.

The home I bought in 2003 was all 1957 except the windows had been changed... all 1957 fixtures and even lino in the kitchen...

Parents home is all 1958... nothing changed except a over stove microwave...

I guess the common thread is all these homes are held be long term owners...

Where I live now... all my neighbors built in the 1950's and never moved... except for the foreclosure next door... and that was built about 15 or so years ago...

If it is clean and working as intended no reason to spend good money catching a trend that will be obsolete by the time you are done...

On my 1922 Bungalow... my friends were all ready for a Demo party... I had no money and spent nights and weekends cleaning/repairing what I had... new sash cords in the original wood double hung windows... etc...

When I sold I got the highest price in the neighborhood and the people that bought were in love with the 1920's... right down to the original high leg stove original to the house.

As to the 2%... as others have mentioned it has nothing to do with taxes paid... as taxes paid are 1% of assessed value plus voter approved assessments...

2% is the max annual inflation cap as to how much the assessed value can increase...
Nice to see such a knowledgeable person like yourself chiming in on this. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
We've replaced appliances, had one roof job, had the house painted inside and out, changed out some lighting fixtures, had a toilet installed, and replaced carpet....We've never had any type of reassessment
That's called regular home maintenance, which everyone does. Of course it wouldn't require an additional property tax assessment.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 PM

914 posts, read 642,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
They're supposed to use cost value, but you're right that you have to stay on top of how it can be assessed.
in this administration of Newson, we definitely have to watch him like a hawk. He may rewrite the policy on how costing is done, just as Aunt Palosi and God-Uncle Schiff had the "whistleblower" requirements changed and nobody even noticed. Watch Gavin, very closely. He is reckless and dangerous to the middle-class taxpaying citizens because we are low on his priority list. get him out now.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:24 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Strange thing his two adult children sold the place... either one of them could have moved in and kept 50% of the tax basis... neither did... decided the money in had was better and so it goes so many times.

If Prop 13 was the end all the offspring would never sell... yet most property does leave the family... just not enough of a reason to keep it.
My parents have been paying prop tax based on their home purchase back in 1955. They did a property swap once that let them keep their tax basis and went into a 55+ community. My brother and I have gone back and forth about what to do with their house when the time comes and, assuming we don't have to sell it to pay for their care. We'll probably still sell it since neither of us is keen to live in that particular area and don't want to have to buy the other out.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:56 AM

1,203 posts, read 835,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That's called regular home maintenance, which everyone does. Of course it wouldn't require an additional property tax assessment.
Yep that's exactly what it's called and as stated in my post #34, that is what the majority of people do for maintenance and therefore it would not trigger a tax assessment. Since the majority of people do not do major upgrades or improvements, it would not be unusual for someone not to have one done so no reason for anyone to be surprised or think it's "amazing". Ultrarunner also stated as much in his post.

Quote:
It is not unusual to find unmolested homes here in the Bay Area...
This was also thoroughly explained in my entire post #11.

Quote:
It's not amazing at all. No one I know is paying more on taxes for doing things like painting their house, replacing appliances, or changing out a light fixture or two (which is pretty much most people I know). Must be nice that so many others are paying upwards of $30k-$60k to redo their kitchens. Admittedly, unless you're applying for some form of permit, most of these small jobs aren't going to trigger any kind of tax increase. The majority of people do not perform a major remodel that would require a permit.

Not sure what else I can say on this. I have been very thorough in my explanation.

Thank you.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 10-22-2019 at 01:35 AM..

Old 10-22-2019, 05:22 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
in this administration of Newson, we definitely have to watch him like a hawk. He may rewrite the policy on how costing is done
You wonder if it may be the contractor that has something to do with how the remodel/upgrade is assessed. When we added a family room to our home years ago, the contractor explained that he always submitted the cost of the work. When we added a pool and brick patio years later, that contractor didn't use that same method.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:39 AM

109 posts, read 65,705 times
Quote:
Yep that's exactly what it's called and as stated in my post #34, that is what the majority of people do for maintenance and therefore it would not trigger a tax assessment. Since the majority of people do not do major upgrades or improvements, it would not be unusual for someone not to have one done so no reason for anyone to be surprised or think it's "amazing". Ultrarunner also stated as much in his post.

This was also thoroughly explained in my entire post #11.

Not sure what else I can say on this. I have been very thorough in my explanation.

Thank you.
The only thing amazing is that you should have to keep explaining the same thing and that others have to chime in on this. Yeah, most people just do basic maintenance on their homes (probably because so many can't afford to do much more). It's expensive living in CA.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:13 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
in this administration of Newson, we definitely have to watch him like a hawk. He may rewrite the policy on how costing is done, just as Aunt Palosi and God-Uncle Schiff had the "whistleblower" requirements changed and nobody even noticed. Watch Gavin, very closely. He is reckless and dangerous to the middle-class taxpaying citizens because we are low on his priority list. get him out now.
Nancy Pelosi isn't Gavin's aunt.

She's an aunt to his first cousins on his father's side.

Gavin's aunt (his father's sister) was married to Nancy's husband Paul's brother, and they had kids (Gavin's first cousins).

Old 10-22-2019, 07:51 PM

914 posts, read 642,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Nancy Pelosi isn't Gavin's aunt.

She's an aunt to his first cousins on his father's side.

Gavin's aunt (his father's sister) was married to Nancy's husband Paul's brother, and they had kids (Gavin's first cousins).
ah, I see.

...but meanwhile, you get the gist?

Old 10-22-2019, 08:30 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My parents have been paying prop tax based on their home purchase back in 1955. They did a property swap once that let them keep their tax basis and went into a 55+ community. My brother and I have gone back and forth about what to do with their house when the time comes and, assuming we don't have to sell it to pay for their care. We'll probably still sell it since neither of us is keen to live in that particular area and don't want to have to buy the other out.
I see this a lot... the kids are firmly established often with kids and maybe even grandkids of their own...

It could be my location but not a single home in the East Oakland neighborhood were I live or where I manage has stayed in the family... some of these had reverse mortgages which would have to be dealt with.

It could be human nature but selling and splitting the proceeds is a clean way when more than one heir is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California