Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 08:04 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Thankfully that's not how this works at all. First off you can inherit $11.4 million from each parent tax free and then get a step up in basis. So you could literally inherit a $11 million dollar house from your father and then sell it the next day $11 million and pay $0 in taxes. If you choose to hold the property and it appreciates from $11 million to $15 million over the next ten years then there would be capital gains payable on the gain ($4M) upon sale of the asset.

Now, for every dollar above $11.4 million per parent the tax rate is 40% payable when you file the estate tax return. Tax basis would be the amount received by the heir.

This is true but the issue is whether capital gains and inheritance applies only to parent to child or if the benefit can extend to grandparent directly to grandchild. I researched it and couldn't find any stipulation of an 11 million exclusion for a grandchild. The poster didn't say whether they inherited from father, who inherited from granddad. It only said the children got the property from their grandfather. Seems that's the purpose for generations-skipping trusts.

Now let me give an example: I just sold a property my mother owned since the early 70's that she bought for 16K. It sold for $699K. She will owe capital gains and the Medicare tax on the entire sales amount less the 16K base. Amount of taxes: 189K

If the children had lived in the house for two out of the last five years they'd still pay capital gain but they'd get a 250K exclusion. Since they sold it outright they will have to pay capital gain on the entire amount of 1.7 million less the paltry base the grandfather bought it at. Believe me I've researched this from all angles and there's no way to avoid the capital gains tax unless one does a Starker 1031 exchange within 45 days of the sale.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-24-2019 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 10:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
It was my Godfather that passed away this year and in his will he left his Santa Clare single family home to his two children who sold it this month...

So the property transferred to the his two children when he died and 8 months later the kids sold it.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:59 PM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Thanks for posting it.

Our property tax went up 11.9 % from 2015 to 2018. When I posted it here on CD some members doubted my numbers. I wonder what is coming now - in fact, I hate to pickup the mail.
with this sort of uncertainty, how are we supposed to plan for our retirement "fixed-income" years???

why do you people keep voting in these idiots??

sorry, I'm cranky tonight after ruining my $400 tire/rim on GAVIN'S potholed crumbling highways who promised my road tax money would fix that. Apparently that money has been shifted to other things...

Old 10-24-2019, 11:25 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Just got this year's property tax bill. It's a 2.6% increase over last year. Meanwhile, my salary is frozen going forward because my company thinks I make too much for any more increases.
Your salary is irrelevant.

Are you looking at your total tax bill (including special assessments that were voted into law, utility company assessments such as garbage pickup and recycling, vector control, etc.) or just the property tax?

In which county do you live?

Old 10-25-2019, 06:02 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
with this sort of uncertainty, how are we supposed to plan for our retirement "fixed-income" years???

why do you people keep voting in these idiots??
Voters, not politicians, passed Prop 13 by a huge margin. And without it, our retirement years would most likely not be spent in any house in California.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Are you looking at your total tax bill (including special assessments that were voted into law, utility company assessments such as garbage pickup and recycling, vector control, etc.) or just the property tax?
Good point. Every year one's total property tax goes up, but the increase is mostly due to all the extra assessments.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Thank God for Howard Jarvis and Prop 13. My parents bought their house in 1972 and in 1978 their taxes were frozen to $1000. They've paid $1000 every year since then...
Frozen to $1,000? Just in the past five years, our property taxes have increased several hundred dollars.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:46 PM

1,203 posts, read 667,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is true but the issue is whether capital gains and inheritance applies only to parent to child or if the benefit can extend to grandparent directly to grandchild. I researched it and couldn't find any stipulation of an 11 million exclusion for a grandchild. The poster didn't say whether they inherited from father, who inherited from granddad. It only said the children got the property from their grandfather. Seems that's the purpose for generations-skipping trusts.

Now let me give an example: I just sold a property my mother owned since the early 70's that she bought for 16K. It sold for $699K. She will owe capital gains and the Medicare tax on the entire sales amount less the 16K base. Amount of taxes: 189K

If the children had lived in the house for two out of the last five years they'd still pay capital gain but they'd get a 250K exclusion. Since they sold it outright they will have to pay capital gain on the entire amount of 1.7 million less the paltry base the grandfather bought it at. Believe me I've researched this from all angles and there's no way to avoid the capital gains tax unless one does a Starker 1031 exchange within 45 days of the sale.
If it's from a grandparent then it is subject to the GST (generation skipping tax) which has the same exclusion for the entire estate as from parent to child. You clearly need to be talking to either a CPA or an estate planning attorney if you are confused by this (which you seem to be) so that you can accurately report the necessary documentation to the IRS and pay the correct amount of taxes.

And yes, if it's the same person that bought and sold a primary residence for over $250,000 per person ($500,000 for a married couple) then you pay capital gains unless you do a 1031 exchange. So duh... you do a 1031 exchange, pay $0 in capital gains tax, and then have your children get a step up in basis and the avoid the capital gains tax entirely. The fact you seem to be complaining about this as if it's a bad deal for home owners (and/or real estate investors) means you REALLY need to be talking to professionals if you are in such a situation.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:20 PM

545 posts, read 513,600 times
the Assessor has been pretty fair to me after remodels and a pool

Old 10-26-2019, 08:47 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
If it's from a grandparent then it is subject to the GST (generation skipping tax) which has the same exclusion for the entire estate as from parent to child. You clearly need to be talking to either a CPA or an estate planning attorney if you are confused by this (which you seem to be) so that you can accurately report the necessary documentation to the IRS and pay the correct amount of taxes.

And yes, if it's the same person that bought and sold a primary residence for over $250,000 per person ($500,000 for a married couple) then you pay capital gains unless you do a 1031 exchange. So duh... you do a 1031 exchange, pay $0 in capital gains tax, and then have your children get a step up in basis and the avoid the capital gains tax entirely. The fact you seem to be complaining about this as if it's a bad deal for home owners (and/or real estate investors) means you REALLY need to be talking to professionals if you are in such a situation.

Well, I think you skipped right over my response re the capital gains tax. Let me repeat it: everyone who sells a house for more than they acquired it for pays a capital gains on the difference. If I live in the house I get the $250K exclusion, but I still pay Fed, AND state capital gains above the $250K and $50K base if I am in California. It was implied that the kids never inhabited the property for 2 of the last 5 years. They might avoid the inheritance tax but they will still have to pay capital gains on the difference between what the grandpa bought it for, let's say $50K, and $1.7 million which presumably they sold it for. So $1,700,000 less $50K is $1,650,000 they'll have to pay the capital gains on unless they do a Starker exchange. 20% of $1,650,000 is $330,000--13.3% of $1,650,000 is $219,450--the 3.8% Medicare tax kicks in after $200K per individual, say $400K exclusion. So 3.8% on $1,250,000 is $47,500. Total taxes the kids owe is $597,000. Unless they try to dodge the taxman and don't file a return. Catch it that time, sport?

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-26-2019 at 09:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California