Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 09:50 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I wouldn't know about the inner workings of their church but what I do know is they honor the Sabbath on Saturday. Actually, Sunday is the true first day of the week, not Monday but that doesn't fit into our secular society.

As for eating healthy to live long, it certainly makes sense, unless there is some predisposition to an illness or disease. Your family had "good genes" as we used to say. My parents lived into their mid 90's (even with health problems) but my siblings didn't make it to 75 and looking at their history, I still believe it was caused by their lifestyle. I'm doing my best not to repeat their mistakes.

Take care of your health, Ruth. It is worth more than all the money in the world.
Thank you. The fact that the 7th Day Adventists in Loma Linda are long-lived isn't news; it comes up in the media from time to time. Studies have shown that "honoring the Sabbath" to the letter helps lower stress levels, and that their diet also contributes to their longevity. Stress hormones kill; they erode your health over time, if they're in your system chronically.

Yes, thank you, Mars; I have to actively work on my health, because I've found out that thyroid disease sets me up for a lot of problems down the road, that most doctors aren't aware of. I have to do my own research, and try to stay one step ahead of the disease, in a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 10:08 AM

527 posts, read 423,043 times
Summit County, Colorado apparently got the longest life expectancy in the US. It's not a religious county.
Here's a run-down shared by Colorado government on the US counties with the highest longevity:
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/agi...xpectancy-us-0

Apparently, the secret can be anything from owning million-dollar homes to "lots of beans and tortillas" to "living off the land".
In other words, if you're an average working stiff or corporate drone, stuck in commute traffic every day: you're toast.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:17 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Summit County, Colorado apparently got the longest life expectancy in the US. It's not a religious county.
Here's a run-down shared by Colorado government on the US counties with the highest longevity:
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/agi...xpectancy-us-0

Apparently, the secret can be anything from owning million-dollar homes to "lots of beans and tortillas" to "living off the land".
In other words, if you're an average working stiff or corporate drone, stuck in commute traffic every day: you're toast.
Yes ... but what KIND of toast is the question? Whole wheat, spelt, kamut, flax, dark rye, light rye, pumpernickel, ... ? Plain, buttered, nut-spread, jam, honey? Then there’s bagels!

“Mmmmmm, bagel!” - Homer Simpson

(Then there’s bagels with lox ... and cream cheese .... jalapeño spread ... ad infinitum)

Old 11-26-2019, 10:21 AM

527 posts, read 423,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes ... but what KIND of toast is the question? Whole wheat, spelt, kamut, flax, dark rye, light rye, pumpernickel, ... ? Plain, buttered, nut-spread, jam, honey? Then there’s bagels!

“Mmmmmm, bagel!” - Homer Simpson

(Then there’s bagels with lox ... and cream cheese .... jalapeño spread ... ad infinitum)
Based on the above information, I'd go with tortilla instead of the toast... organic corn.
Can stuff it with herring, since apparently some centenarians swear by it. Another centenarian swore it was her love for fried bacon, so can add the bacon too. And sprinkle it all with life-extending chocolate.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:15 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Quote:
Based on the above information, I'd go with tortilla instead of the toast... organic corn.
Can stuff it with herring, since apparently some centenarians swear by it. Another centenarian swore it was her love for fried bacon, so can add the bacon too. And sprinkle it all with life-extending chocolate.
Bacon and chocolate?

I'm in!

Old 11-26-2019, 12:17 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Income levels?
In Loma Linda they're more than twice higher than in San Bernardino.
I also bet on much better healthcare access in LL, better doctors and preventative care and the residents actively using it.

The list of US counties by life expectancy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ife_expectancy
This sort of becomes a chicken and egg question though. Healthier lifestyles mean people able to work more and have less disability, which means they're more likely to have a higher income.

One of Dan Buettner's "Blue Zones" where people live the longest is a the Nicoya Peninsula of Costa Rica. These people are dirt floor poor. Yet they live a long time because of the healthy diet, strong social ties, and regular exercise (i.e. they don't drive cars everywhere--if they even have them, etc.).

Old 11-26-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
My parents lived into their mid 90's (even with health problems) but my siblings didn't make it to 75 and looking at their history, I still believe it was caused by their lifestyle. I'm doing my best not to repeat their mistakes.
According to scientists, getting to 100 definitely requires excellent genetics, but getting to 85? That's about 70% lifestyle. And the healthy lifestyle that gets you to 85 typically gets you there without chronic disease (diabetes, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, etc.)

Old 11-26-2019, 12:22 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
They may live 15 years longer but for me it would feel like 150 years longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
My ex and his evil 2nd wife were 7th Day Adventists for many years. Didn't make them nice people. The religion is very restrictive - no jewelry, no adorning the body, lots more to it. So, I wouldn't attribute it to the religion.

I think faith does give some people peace, but man-made religions are no guarantee.

I worked for a radio station in one of my previous lives where we actually played a religious service (pre-recorded on reel to reel tapes) on Sundays - the full service, which was sponsored by the church, of course. Whenever the people from that church came to the radio station, they were the rudest customers we dealt with.

I asked my boss, who was a really nice man who was also religious, what was the deal with the church people. He said, well, NoMoreSnowForMe, just be glad they're going to church. That's a good place for them. LOL.

Anyway, sorry, off topic. Just saying, it's probably got more to do with other things than that particular religion, like their vegan/vegetarian diets and exercise, and probably just being more social.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
As Dan Buettner discovered, people, and even populations that live a long time typically don't know what actually causes them to live so long. That's why he did the research and came up with his Blue Zones books.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:44 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Bacon and chocolate?

I'm in!
Why am I not surprised bacon and chocolate would bring janellen out of hiding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California