Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 04:54 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times

Advertisements

Do I have to go to California to find truly delicious iceberg lettuce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 05:15 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Delicious iceberg lettuce is an oxymoron.

I don't know about California "keeping the best produce." I don't think so. But most any fresh fruit or vegetable that is put on a truck and shipped 1000+ miles is no longer going to be at its best when it gets there. There are exceptions. Oranges, avocados can handle it. But lettuce? Better look for some grown near home if you want the highest quality. I do realize this is not possible in some states during some seasons, but that's how it is.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:38 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
I think they do in San Diego. There’s a place called Specialty Produce that’s a wholesale warehouse. I know restaurants buy produce from them and they’re open to the public. Most things I get are cheaper there than stores. Plus they’re straight from the local farms as far as I can tell.

When I get produce there, it lasts 2-3x longer than produce I get at the grocery store.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:50 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I think they do in San Diego. There’s a place called Specialty Produce that’s a wholesale warehouse. I know restaurants buy produce from them and they’re open to the public. Most things I get are cheaper there than stores. Plus they’re straight from the local farms as far as I can tell.

When I get produce there, it lasts 2-3x longer than produce I get at the grocery store.
The produce I get at the farmer's market in OC is the same. Even greens like lettuce, parsley and cilantro still seem fresh after a week.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,211 times
Fresher produce? Hurry up, holidays, and get over with. I must get to California!

Old 12-10-2019, 08:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
Yeah, if you buy it the day it is picked, or the day after, of course it will last longer than the stuff picked a week or 2 ago, sent to a factory to be cleaned, prepped, chopped, packaged, whatever and only then shipped out to be sold.

It's not that it is "kept" or "hoarded" - it's just nature.

If you want fresher produce, buy stuff from your area (or grow it yourself). For years I have been growing my own tomatoes and peaches (and basil and thyme and rosemary and snap peas and ...) because they taste sooooo much better when eaten right after being picked.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:52 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Fresher produce? Hurry up, holidays, and get over with. I must get to California!
I’m sure wherever you go there will be a place to get the best produce. Ask the locals or go to a farmer’s market like the prior poster said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Yeah, if you buy it the day it is picked, or the day after, of course it will last longer than the stuff picked a week or 2 ago, sent to a factory to be cleaned, prepped, chopped, packaged, whatever and only then shipped out to be sold.

It's not that it is "kept" or "hoarded" - it's just nature.

If you want fresher produce, buy stuff from your area (or grow it yourself). For years I have been growing my own tomatoes and peaches (and basil and thyme and rosemary and snap peas and ...) because they taste sooooo much better when eaten right after being picked.
I bet. That’s another thing about Specialty Produce, the herbs. I paid $2 in the stores for a small packet. At Specialty, I can get a good size bag for 40 cents. Of course you can grow them but I don’t have the space, time or drive to do it.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I don't think so, OP. When I was in CA in the Fall, I asked about red or purple romaine lettuce; I couldn't find any anywhere, and I was told it's "rare". What?! It doesn't have to be; if some local farmers decide to grow it, it will be fairly common. Don't CA consumers like dark varieties of lettuce? All those extra carotenoids you get from the red/puple varieties? Red romaine is common where I live. Will I have to grow my own, if I move to CA full time?

Old 12-11-2019, 03:11 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Red and purple are usually anthocyanins not carotenoids. But both are good in your diet.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:16 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"Do I have to go to California to find truly delicious iceberg lettuce?" like others have said....not sure there is such a thing...iceberg lettuce is pretty bland. But it will keep longer than leafy varieties due to; a) being a tight head, which b) makes it repel the water that supermarkets spray on produce to try to keep it crisp. What happens when you take that soggy, leafy head of lettuce home....the water starts the decay process...it gets all slimy in a matter of days. Guess what, now it's time for another head of soggy lettuce from the store....ca-ching...see a pattern ? Sell wet lettuce and the customer will buy more.

To prevent that immediate decay of leafy lettuce, we take the head apart, pat dry the leaves on a clean towel, bundle the dried leaves back together in a roll, roll in a paper towel, place in a zip-lock bag, and place in the crisper...it's amazing how much longer dry lettuce will last vs just putting a wet supermarket head in the crisper. Farmers market lettuce is not wet when purchased, thus it will last longer than supermarket lettuce.

For red vs green romaine being available, it's all about consumer demand...if it's profitable for the store, they will stock it.

Rehards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California