Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 11:03 AM

1,203 posts, read 667,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I don't like that it's "too close to call". That tells me two things. One, there's a lot of incredibly stupid voters in this state that would vote for it. Though I've already known that for many years. The other is that, with CA being what it is, I have a sneaking suspicion that just enough last minute "absentee votes" will be "found" to make it "pass".
You're wrong. So does that mean you will no longer spout conspiracy theory nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 11:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 667,336 times
Quote:
If Prop 13 is declared officially dead, my money (what little I'm still allowed to keep) will be that Emperor Newsom will simply override that and enact it by direct Executive Order anyway, the will of The Voters be damned.

He did it with Rent Control. Why not this? Not like there will be any opposition or pushback, or anyone who can really stop him.
Sounds good. How much would you like to wager and what odds are you willing to give that he passes the executive order by the end of 2020?

Old 03-04-2020, 11:06 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Quote:
If Prop 13 is declared officially dead, my money (what little I'm still allowed to keep) will be that Emperor Newsom will simply override that and enact it by direct Executive Order anyway, the will of The Voters be damned.

He did it with Rent Control. Why not this? Not like there will be any opposition or pushback, or anyone who can really stop him.
He could but he might not get re-elected again. I think his auntie Pelosi might go down too.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:11 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times
Quote:

I don’t think he can just enact a bond (additional tax) by executive order. I don’t think it’s constitutional. However, when has that stopped them before?

Old 03-04-2020, 11:41 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I don’t think he can just enact a bond (additional tax) by executive order. I don’t think it’s constitutional. However, when has that stopped them before?
Well maybe not a "bond" per se, but he still has plenty of tools at his disposal to accomplish the same goal: to get more money. DMV fees, raising the toll roads, surcharges/fees on utilities, whatever. Lots of numerical gymnastics and semantics, but ultimately boils down to the same result: he'll still find a way to get the money. And to him, that's all that will matter. And we'll get hosed yet again. Makes no difference how the money confiscated is worded or allocated. The only part that matters is that: We pay too much. And will probably be paying more for something in the near future.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:43 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,655,981 times
Oh nooo's, it didn't pass, so I won't be forced to pay even more taxes because of this proposition...pass the tissues...*sniff*

Old 03-04-2020, 11:56 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,570 times
Quote:
Well maybe not a "bond" per se, but he still has plenty of tools at his disposal to accomplish the same goal: to get more money. DMV fees, raising the toll roads, surcharges/fees on utilities, whatever. Lots of numerical gymnastics and semantics, but ultimately boils down to the same result: he'll still find a way to get the money. And to him, that's all that will matter. And we'll get hosed yet again. Makes no difference how the money confiscated is worded or allocated. The only part that matters is that: We pay too much. And will probably be paying more for something in the near future.
Exactly.

He took the gas tax money and redirected it towards fighting "climate change". I could see Newsom taking other funds and redirecting them anyway he feels like, just as he's been doing, without opposition.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:04 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Election results
California Proposition 13: School and College Facilities Bond

Result Votes Percentage
Yes 2,233,528 44.14%
No 2,826,535 55.86%
Precincts reporting: 99%
Pretty scary how close the vote was, though.

Old 03-04-2020, 02:32 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Folks, do you believe in miracles, or in other words, that there is light at the end of the tunnel ?????
Let us pray! (Or cross fingers or whatever you're into!) We need a miracle in this State.

Old 03-04-2020, 02:37 PM

3,395 posts, read 2,802,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
It said on the news that they are going to try again with another bond in Nov
And We will be ready!!!! Again!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California