Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 06:13 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times

Advertisements

You can turn on a yellow arrow provided there isn't any oncoming traffic. Slim chance that will ever happen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 07:06 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Not 100% safe but convenient.

Oncoming traffic assumes you won’t dart out in front, while the left turner assumes the oncoming traffic has yellow or red and is stopping. Both are opportunities for misjudging.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
What I'd like to see is a law that all red left-turn arrows can be treated as stop signs ONLY when the 'drive straight' light is GREEN. I.e., you have to stop but can turn left WITHOUT RIGHT OF WAY - any accident would automatically be the fault of the person turning LEFT.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:24 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
What I’d like to see is a return to mule and horse transportation. Pretty sure we’d get by without traffic lights, circles and fewer deaths on the roads.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
There are something like 11 [edit: it's actually closer to 25] states that have these style lights since the Feds approved them, not just here in Oregon.

Personally, I don't like them. They are, essentially, the same thing as a solid green in a left turn lane, but apparently the "traffic powers that be" decided that people weren't dealing with the concept of a solid green well.

But the problem with the blinking yellow is that a car advances to turn left and, in between watching oncoming cars and watching the light, often gets "caught" in the intersection when the light goes from blinking yellow to solid yellow to red. The change between blinking yellow and solid yellow isn't always as clear as the change from green to yellow to red.

The intersection I see the most trouble with is the left turn lane on a busy street in to a particular shopping center. The left turning driver has to watch oncoming cars AND pedestrians in the very wide entry (6 lane) AND the signal. I always thought it was easier to see, in the corner of my eye, the change from green to yellow than the change from flashing yellow to solid yellow.

The funny thing is that Federal Dept of Transportation approved the signaling change to stop the "yellow trap" that occurs when a car gets stuck in an intersection as the light progresses to red, but I see MORE cars caught in "yellow traps" since the change.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 12-26-2019 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-26-2019, 12:23 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Where is "here"? We have these in Thousand Oaks.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:03 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
It appears I seen some of them in CA too as well as other states.

It appears luv4horses is right though it causes confusion. As flashing solid yellow ball in some states/countries often means that your road has priority but to beware that there may be cross-traffic who are supposed to give way to you in the intersection as well, as opposed to a solid green where conflicting traffic would always get a solid red and would not proceed until the light changes. Though I don't see flashing yellow intersections much if at all in California where cross-traffic gets flashing red or essentially a two way stop. People may get dangerously confused when a flashing yellow arrow means dramatically different. In some intersections in parts of CA we already have left turn yield on green ball but sometimes with a combination of protected green arrow phrases as well which seems a better alternative than the confusing flashing yellow arrow.

Its interesting though I heard that in Oregon a red arrow does not automatically mean no right turn on red unlike in California. Its interesting how this varies drastically from state to state.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:49 AM

20 posts, read 13,130 times
I went to Fort Collins, CO and loved the yellow left turn arrow (changing from green to yellow then red) means you can turn but yield to traffic when it's yellow.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:38 AM

430 posts, read 283,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
You can turn on a yellow arrow provided there isn't any oncoming traffic. Slim chance that will ever happen here.
Yellow left turn arrows are being installed in CA. You don't see many yet, but they are "here". I just wish local municipalities would do a better job of "smart" traffic control, where you are not sitting at red lights for long periods when there is no cross traffic. The time/fuel/emissions savings is considerable in areas where it is well controlled. Many areas have the infrastructure in place for this, it is just not programmed.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:54 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
In Colombia (South America) they have, just like here, yellow lights that warn you that a red light is next.

However, they also use the yellow light to let you know that a green light is next (after a red light). That is convenient. It tells drivers: Hey, you're next. Get ready to go.

I wish they had that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California