Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 01:28 PM

612 posts, read 1,512,610 times

Advertisements

Few months back I moved to Ontario, CA. My family believes in buying and eating local items as they are more fresh. I too have noticed difference between the fruits I buy from grocery store vs the ones I buy from the store in an orchard. I am now buying oranges from citrus orchards in Redlands/Riverside.

I want to know if there is anything like this for fresh nuts too? I am looking to buy almonds, walnuts, dates and pistachios mainly. I presently buy those from bulk bins in Whole Foods/Sprouts, but wanted to check if there are farms around in SoCal for those where I can go and buy them?

We love fruit picking too. I am currently making a list of farms/orchards for it, but if you know of any then please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 01:38 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
My farmer's market here in OC has almonds, but I have not seen the other nuts. California certified farmer's markets are strictly regulated, and the produce must be grown by the vendor, so there just may be no vendors of other nuts at my particular market.

Try this link to find your nearest farmer's market: https://www.localharvest.org/ontario-ca/farmers-markets. If you can't find the nuts you are looking for there, you can ask the vendors if they know a good source.

The orange/avocado vendor I buy from comes from Riverside Co. and he has the best citrus fruits and avocados I've ever tasted.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:55 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
There’s Bates Nut Farm in Valley Center, but that’s a long drive for you, plus I’m not sure if they grow things there or just sell them. They have some random animals for kids too.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:50 AM

585 posts, read 634,119 times
If you're going up the 5 through Kern County (Bakersfield area), you might stop at Murray's Family Farm. They sell honey, fruits, nuts, vegetables, etc. all grown right there on site. Use your google-fu, I'm sure they have a website.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:01 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
This thread isn't what I expected

Old 12-31-2019, 02:08 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This thread isn't what I expected
There goes your wandering mind again Angry ...

Old 12-31-2019, 02:16 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
There goes your wandering mind again Angry ...
left handed

Old 12-31-2019, 10:22 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Bates Nut Farm (or Nate’s Butt Farm, as my kids liked to call it) started as a walnut farm, but I don’t believe they grow them anymore. They do sell a variety of nuts & dried fruits and other goodies in their store, have a pumpkin patch at Halloween, a petting zoo for the kids. I have fond memories of it.

There is only one Hadley farm store left. It’s in Cabazon off I-10, but they ship nuts and dried fruits, especially dates, to just about anywhere. I no longer live in SoCal but I still order from there.

You can pick apples in the fall from several farms in Oak Glen, which is near Yucaipa, also off I-10. That’s pretty close to you.

Fallbrook used to have a couple of u-pick citrus orchards, but I think they are gone. There used to be a pretty good farmer’s market in Vista (north San Diego Co.), not sure about that anymore.

Last edited by happygrrrl; 12-31-2019 at 10:51 PM..

Old 01-03-2020, 09:24 AM

430 posts, read 283,256 times
Check out Somis Nut House

https://somisnuthouse.com/

It is not very close to you (Ventura County), but they do ship. I believe they have a lot of local. Now if you want only the best local olive oil, PM me.

Also in Ventura County there are two locations of Underwood Farms; Moorpark and Somis. They have seasonal U-pick for a variety of things, and everything local that is available.

BTW, I was also wondering if this thread was going to be about something else entirely

Old 01-06-2020, 11:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Bates Nut Farm (or Nate’s Butt Farm, as my kids liked to call it) started as a walnut farm, but I don’t believe they grow them anymore. They do sell a variety of nuts & dried fruits and other goodies in their store, have a pumpkin patch at Halloween, a petting zoo for the kids. I have fond memories of it.

There is only one Hadley farm store left. It’s in Cabazon off I-10, but they ship nuts and dried fruits, especially dates, to just about anywhere. I no longer live in SoCal but I still order from there.

You can pick apples in the fall from several farms in Oak Glen, which is near Yucaipa, also off I-10. That’s pretty close to you.

Fallbrook used to have a couple of u-pick citrus orchards, but I think they are gone. There used to be a pretty good farmer’s market in Vista (north San Diego Co.), not sure about that anymore.
I was about to suggest Hadley's but of course haven't been there in 15 years and the last time we were there it was nothing like the "old Hadleys" they did sell fresh grown nuts though.

I think I will try ordering from them one of these days. Thanks for the update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California