Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 09:42 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Two issues with Malibu

1. Extremely expensive.

2. Even if you can afford it, unless you are a celebrity, you won’t fit in.

You can find many other CA places that are near the ocean that are less expensive and are filled with regular people.
Oh, I wouldn’t say that 5150. If a guy/gal lives in a beater RV or van they’d fit in well with the hundreds of others who do the same parked along the Malibu coast highway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 12:30 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
I'm a Bay Area native and as much as I love many things about living here, I've always felt more "at home" in coastal SoCal locations. I specifically love the coastal part of Orange county and I love San Diego.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:35 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
We vacationed in South Lake Tahoe once and I fell in love with the area. Now I realize being a tourist somewhere, and living there, are two different things, but just off of the top of my head that's the first town that came to mind.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:45 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Seal Beach. Definitely.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:00 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I wouldn't buy anything near the ocean, if the ocean rises like Democrats say then you lose your investment.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:34 AM

590 posts, read 931,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
We vacationed in South Lake Tahoe once and I fell in love with the area. Now I realize being a tourist somewhere, and living there, are two different things, but just off of the top of my head that's the first town that came to mind.
What's happened to South Lake Tahoe, and, really, the Tahoe basin in the last two decades has been really disappointing. I'm sure as a visitor, Tahoe seems amazing, but for those of us who remember the "good ol days", the difference is sad. First, the main strip through SLT is run down with out dated motels, crummy no name eateries, gridlock, and homes that have been bought by rich out of towners and turned into VRBO's and Air BNB's. A full 30% of homes in SLT are used as vacation rentals. Trash, noise, fights and a revolving door of weekenders have done a lot to bring down the charm of entire neighborhoods.

I will give it to the TRPA for limiting and even stopping building of new homes. At least sprawl has been contained.

The clarity of the lake is really what has suffered the most. 20 years ago you could see 90" down, now you're lucky with 60' visibility. Invasive snails have been introduced to the lake, algae is growing thicker, the beaches during the summer are trashed, and gallons of sunscreen and oil from too many people and boats pollute the water daily. Smog in the summer, combined with smoke, can turn the lake into something that resembles a camp fire.

The best time to visit Tahoe is late May and September. It's still a beautiful area, but I fear it's a victim of its own popularity.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:39 AM

590 posts, read 931,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I love skiing, and like to do other outdoor things.

I lived in Mammoth Lakes for an entire ski season. I loved it, but longer term...it would represent too much isolation for me. I've also lived in Incline Village, just into Nevada. I could handle that better longer term.

If someone forced me to move back to California I'd probably pick Rocklin, Roseville, or Fair Oaks, etc.. Access to the Sierras, to city amenities, and to the coast .
It's interesting how everyone is different. I love the isolation of the eastern Sierra. I would live in Mammoth if I could afford it, but it's been bought and sold three times over by rich Angelenos. Too rich for my blood.

Rockin/ Roseville is my neck of the woods. Access to innumerable outdoor possibilities is a big plus living here. It's about the only plus. That and a well paying job. There's 1 million people now in the four counties surrounding Sacramento. I look forward to the day when isolation is a reality, it will just, most likely, not be in California.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:09 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Ummmm I'd like to live in La Jolla, Laguna Beach, or possibly Newport Beach.
I would also consider Malibu
La Jolla for sure. It's a 20 minute drive from where I live now but light years away in terms of home prices. Nowadays you would have to be a multi millionaire to afford residency.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:39 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quick question: Is San Jose per capita the most expensive large city in California?

Old 02-01-2020, 04:10 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Happy to be back in Oakland, and not leaving anytime soon. But San Diego would be fine if we had to live in SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California