Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 10:39 AM

6,412 posts, read 8,266,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Someone has a chip on their shoulder....
Nah. As I've said repeatedly, I really like the place and I had a great time living there in my early 20s. I'm in my mid 30s now, so my lifestyle is obviously different. But every single time I'm down there, pretty much wherever I go, at some point somebody will brag to me (without me even saying anything other that I live in the Bay Area) about how perfect San Diego is and that they can't imagine living anywhere else.

It usually goes this like this:

Person: Where are you from?

Me: I live in the Bay Area. I'm down here visiting friends.

Person: Oh, I've been up there before. It's [generalized comment about the Bay Area, that's either complimentary or negative], but I could never live anywhere other than San Diego. It's just perfect here.

Me: [nodding in agreement to avoid getting into a debate that I know I can never, ever win]

Person: Don't you agree?

Me: Yeah, San Diego is great. I lived here for a few years.

Person: Why did you ever leave???

Me: Work

Person: Ah, that's too bad.

Me: [nodding in agreement, but secretly thinking how glad I am not to surrounded by people who act that way]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 11:08 AM

21,723 posts, read 16,291,361 times
Lol ...

Old 02-06-2020, 02:13 PM

8,209 posts, read 16,669,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Nah. As I've said repeatedly, I really like the place and I had a great time living there in my early 20s. I'm in my mid 30s now, so my lifestyle is obviously different. But every single time I'm down there, pretty much wherever I go, at some point somebody will brag to me (without me even saying anything other that I live in the Bay Area) about how perfect San Diego is and that they can't imagine living anywhere else.

It usually goes this like this:

Person: Where are you from?

Me: I live in the Bay Area. I'm down here visiting friends.

Person: Oh, I've been up there before. It's [generalized comment about the Bay Area, that's either complimentary or negative], but I could never live anywhere other than San Diego. It's just perfect here.

Me: [nodding in agreement to avoid getting into a debate that I know I can never, ever win]

Person: Don't you agree?

Me: Yeah, San Diego is great. I lived here for a few years.

Person: Why did you ever leave???

Me: Work

Person: Ah, that's too bad.

Me: [nodding in agreement, but secretly thinking how glad I am not to surrounded by people who act that way]
Haha, so true!! But there is one major flaw to your logic. You're forgetting that SD is the center of universe. Believe the hype, it's REAL! Every other city fails miserably by comparison. How could you be in your right mind and ever think any differently? You've probably got some personal problems or other things which make you just plain weird if you disagree. But more than likely you're simply in denial - living a lie. lol

Derek

Old 02-06-2020, 02:19 PM

21,723 posts, read 16,291,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Haha, so true!! But there is one major flaw to your logic. You're forgetting that SD is the center of universe. Believe the hype, it's REAL! Every other city fails miserably by comparison. How could you be in your right mind and ever think any differently? You've probably got some personal problems or other things which make you just plain weird if you disagree. But more than likely you're simply in denial - living a lie. lol

Derek
Exactly so, Derek ... which is why I moved to SD myself

Old 02-06-2020, 03:00 PM

8,209 posts, read 16,669,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes, of course. Here is what happens when anyone questions SD being the greatest place on earth, especially 04kL4nD. Our SD relatives will attest to this as well.

Derek

Old 02-07-2020, 06:11 PM

23,478 posts, read 23,935,289 times
Calistoga, La Jolla or elsewhere in Northern San Diego County.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:43 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,447,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You said it Mutt. I still make sure to thank my Mom at least once a year for moving us to San Diego from Seattle when I was six years old nearly forty years ago. San Diego is always at the top of cities people wished they lived in and this thread is just more of the same. I went out of state for college and have been to most major cities in this country (and Europe) and there’s no place I’d rather live.

As for the thread question, if I couldn’t live in another city in San Diego County I’d choose somewhere between Orange County and Santa Barbara. Preferability not in the middle.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:22 AM

4,207 posts, read 3,279,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Oh it gets enough love from the people who live there and brag incessantly how awesome it is. Especially the natives who grew up there, claiming it's the best city in the country, if not world.

I think it's a great place to live for a few years, and I'm glad I did when I was younger, but I guess I'd rather just vacation there and live in a much more cosmopolitan area with more of a variety of things to do. To each, his own.
This would be southern California, which San Diego is a part of.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:33 AM

4,207 posts, read 3,279,720 times
Pretty amusing how San Diego has dominated this thread as the most desired location in CA.

San Diego is becoming like Los Angeles in the way that its never really accurately characterized. Seems like it always has to be-

A) that quiet place that you retire/raise family in, or "move back to some day" after you left CA for Indiana. (Not true)

or

B) the greatest paradise on earth. (Not true)

I would pick somewhere in east L.A. like Duarte or Azuza by the end of the Gold Line. Perfect location. For now I"ll make do with San Diego.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:25 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,500,505 times
Monterey (or Pacific Grove). I lived there four years (and another seven in Salinas) and I love that area. I left in 2008 because there was no way I could afford a home there... but could easily do so in Butte County. It was a smart move financially, but I still miss the Central Coast a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California