Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:42 AM

456 posts, read 239,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
This makes no sense ...
Which part? Someone who makes 100,000 a year and now has little to no hours or lost their job. How is that hard to understand. I live in an American Airlines Hub. A lot of people around me have and are going to take massive pay hits. Won't qualify for this but need it now more than ever.

You think a flight attendant who has made $80,000-$110,000 a year for the past 3 years is going to make that this year? Not a chance. Hours have been, and will be for months, cut.

There are waiters, managers, etc at high end restaurants in LA, SD, OC that make $100,000 a year. Not this year.

There are people in fashion, retail, sales who all make over $100K and have the last 3 years that will make 50%+ of that amount now.

There are car salesmen, managers at dealerships, etc who earn over $100K on normal years. That isn't happening this year. Expect significantly lower

Last edited by Bolanders; 03-21-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 09:54 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
One California mayor has tried universal basic income. His advice for Trump: 'Think big'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...on-coronavirus

Old 03-21-2020, 10:54 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,612,659 times
Giving 125 low income residents $500 a month is not "trying UBI". A sports analogy would be me playing three fly's up at the park and saying "I played in the NFL".

Old 09-11-2020, 08:38 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,166 times
Bringing this thread up again from the COVID perspective: Knowing what we now know from the Woodward interview tapes, Trump knew from Xi Jinping that the virus was at least 6X more deadly than the flu and was airborne. Trump said he didn't want to cause a panic, so he basically lied and gave out misinformation to the public, officials, and governors ever since. My belief is that he really didn't care about causing a panic, because he's been scaring people about illegal immigrants, MS-13, caravans coming in, black people causing trouble in suburbs, etc. I believe he didn't want the stock market to panic and sell-off because that appears to be the metric by which he judges himself and is trying to hold his base together.

With that out of the way, I wonder how different things would have been if the government was clear about the virus from the beginning, gave clear guidelines for how to stay safe, shutdown the economy and instead of focusing on profits that we temporarily form a collective of proportional profit-sharing to pool a rainy-day fund to help small business when the pandemic ended. In the meantime, non-essential workers would receive a "Freedom Dividend" of $200 per person per month for food (family of 5 would get $1,000), and make a deal with landlords and mortgage lenders to extend out a tax break for participating in a rent/payment moratorium for both commercial and residential real estate. The goal here would be to minimize as much virus spread as possible and to sustain business until the threat is over. Until then people and businesses would be allowed to deficit-spend, so to speak. Folks who really want to work and help the cause would join and train for essential jobs such as food processors, distribution/logistics, PPE manufacturing, community soup kitchen workers, etc.

Instead we have big box stores like Target, Home Depot, Amazon, Wal-Mart, and Costco making a huge leap in sales growth at the expense of all the smaller businesses who had to shutdown by government order. It sure propped up the stock market...I own half of the stocks listed above and don't even get me started on the "stay-at-home stocks." I think things could have been much better with fewer cases if the president was straight with us and had a plan to shift the economy from one of profit to one of sustainability, at least until the pandemic ended. Then we'd forever thank the corporations who helped, they would be returned their average profit revenue over the previous 5 years for their troubles, small business would resume with low interest loans funded from that rainy-day fund, and the federal government would create more stimulus programs to get the economy back to where it was.

I think that would have been better than what we have now with nearly 200K dead from the virus, a good chunk of the country in complete denial/defiance, and a very distorted economy. But I suppose my proposal looks too uncomfortably close to communism.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:04 PM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
What a mess!

Though homeless populations crowd the streets of California’s major cities, the legislature came up with no remedy other than creating a “homelessness czar” appointed by the governor. Because Newsom already declared himself the state’s “homeless czar” last year, it’s unclear what part of that task will fall to the new czar.

In California, schoolkids relegated to virtual learning sit curbside at Taco Bell in search of free WiFi. Yet the Democratic assembly speaker strangely refused to take up widely supported legislation to expand broadband access.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:10 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Why did Yang call it a "Freedom Dividend"? Anyone? Just wondering.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:15 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
In California, schoolkids relegated to virtual learning sit curbside at Taco Bell in search of free WiFi. Yet the Democratic assembly speaker strangely refused to take up widely supported legislation to expand broadband access.
Skeddy that's simply untrue. All of the school districts have hotspot devices to issue to distance learning kids who don't have wi-fi in their home, and Comcast will install broadband in low income homes for $7 a month with no installation charges.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:34 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
How about you don't tax the sheet out of people so they don't need hand outs and you don't need to launder money through inefficient government agencies aka they get their cut.

I know the "rebuttals" will consist of "well it's not as bad as ____"

Old 09-11-2020, 09:49 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
How about you don't tax the sheet out of people so they don't need hand outs and you don't need to launder money through inefficient government agencies aka they get their cut.

I know the "rebuttals" will consist of "well it's not as bad as ____"
So, you don’t even remotely understand what the Freedom Dividend - aka Universal Basic Income - is, eh? But nevertheless feel quite motivated to comment on it, even though your assumption (about what it is) is entirely wrong ..

UBI / Freedom Dividend is not a “handout”, max. It is, literally, a government dividend distributed equally to ALL persons, regardless of wealth or poverty or need. Bill Gates would be paid the same amount as homeless Hank.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:07 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So, you don’t even remotely understand what the Freedom Dividend - aka Universal Basic Income - is, eh? But nevertheless feel quite motivated to comment on it, even though your assumption (about what it is) is entirely wrong ..

UBI / Freedom Dividend is not a “handout”, max. It is, literally, a government dividend distributed equally to ALL persons, regardless of wealth or poverty or need. Bill Gates would be paid the same amount as homeless Hank.
You typed a lot and said nothing of substance. Well, you gave a cute name to redistributing other people's wealth.

I'll put it another way, maybe you'll understand. I don't want to give $100 to the government so they take a $30 cut, and distribute the rest (I'll get $10 for my $100). You are free to give hand outs on your own if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California