Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 02:01 PM

65 posts, read 103,178 times

Advertisements

This is an honest and genuine question and I'm not looking to start a whole debate about politics but, I'm curious as to why:

You're more likely to die in a freak accident?
You're more likely to be a victim of a porch pirate?
You're more likely to be a victim of property crime and or burglary?
You're more likely to be a victim of hit and run?
Really, I'm just wondering why you're more likely to be a victim.

I'm genuinely curious as to why this is? I grew up in New York City and feel like these types of incidents occur much more in SoCal. (I'm planning to retire to SoCal in 2021 and the possibility of being a victim and abundance of stupid laws makes me want to go to Arizona, Nevada or Texas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 02:24 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,186,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usklx View Post
This is an honest and genuine question and I'm not looking to start a whole debate about politics but, I'm curious as to why:

I'm genuinely curious as to why this is? I grew up in New York City and feel like these types of incidents occur much more in SoCal. (I'm planning to retire to SoCal in 2021 and the possibility of being a victim and abundance of stupid laws makes me want to go to Arizona, Nevada or Texas).
Ca is full of a lot of desperate people. I wouldn’t recommend retiring here.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:37 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:

).
I’m retired in CA and none of these concerns are an issue for me. But then again, I don’t live in LA or the Bay Area.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:41 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,043,150 times
Quote:

I'm a CA native. Personally, I have never died in a freak accident.... I have never personally been a victim of a porch pirate (which happens all over the country, by the way). I have never personally been burglarized but have been a victim of minor property theft. I've never been a victim of a hit and run.

I really have no idea where you're coming up with your "statistics". Any one of these things could happen anywhere in the country. You should watch shows like COPS or LIVE PD and you'll see that crazy stuff happens all over. There are plenty of places outside of CA that make me go

Old 02-27-2020, 02:46 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
None of these things has happened to me or anyone in my family in my 50 years of life in SoCal, except once I left my car unlocked overnight and my sunglasses were stolen. If that counts.

My question is, why do you "feel like" these things happen more in SoCal (which is a very large and diverse region, by the way) than elsewhere? Do you have actual statistics or do you just watch a lot of TV?

Old 02-27-2020, 02:51 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
Quote:

Wow. What a classic case of stereotyping. Do you have any actual evidence to support your allegations? Life is unpredictable everywhere. I suspect you are just trolling.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:57 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,758,434 times
Quote:

Wow. Very scientific.

I've gone to Manhattan and Queens. Didn't feel that safe there. I guess I should be worried.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:58 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,282,368 times
Porch pirate? Never heard that one before, but I get the idea. Do they carry cutlasses?

Old 02-27-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm a CA native. Personally, I have never died in a freak accident.... I have never personally been a victim of a porch pirate (which happens all over the country, by the way). I have never personally been burglarized but have been a victim of minor property theft. I've never been a victim of a hit and run.

I really have no idea where you're coming up with your "statistics". Any one of these things could happen anywhere in the country. You should watch shows like COPS or LIVE PD and you'll see that crazy stuff happens all over. There are plenty of places outside of CA that make me go
Thanks for the reassurance! Not necessarily statistics, but I'm on about 4-5 facebook groups that are geared towards their community and crime watching, and it seems like things are a bit worse than where I am currently at now. But who knows, maybe some people blow things out of proportion as well.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
None of these things has happened to me or anyone in my family in my 50 years of life in SoCal, except once I left my car unlocked overnight and my sunglasses were stolen. If that counts.

My question is, why do you "feel like" these things happen more in SoCal (which is a very large and diverse region, by the way) than elsewhere? Do you have actual statistics or do you just watch a lot of TV?
Hi, thank you for your response. So I mentioned in my previous post that a lot of my information comes from facebook groups for that specific neighborhood. I'm looking into the Inland Empire, specifically Chino Hills, Eastvale and the Alta Loma area of RC. (All which claim to be very safe neighborhoods!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California