Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2022, 09:52 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Well, California often sets the lead for other blue states. California for example went into lockdown days before New York did.
Plus the fact some of our politicians are in very prominent national roles; Speaker of the House and VP for example. And you know Newsom is eyeing that presidency and is often in the national spotlight. So it should be expected CA would attract a decent amount of out of state opinions.

And many CA posters only care when someone is from out of state when they disagree with them. But if they are on "their side" then of course it's okay or doesn't matter. It's pretty desperate when you start going after where someone lives because it just means you have nothing else worthwhile to say about the issue at hand.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:55 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,563,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Well, California often sets the lead for other blue states. California for example went into lockdown days before New York did.
If anything, this situation is quite the opposite. In fact, California's response is fairly specific and measured, with an emphasis on the LA region which appears to be having an ongoing problem. You would think the conversation would be more focused toward things that relate to the state of California, since this is a sub forum. A more general forum that would relate to across the board talk of the coronavirus would be in the political forum.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:58 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
True. But the dopamine rush is positively orgasmic. How can you beat that for sitting alone in your parents’ basement bedroom at a keyboard hoping strangers will buy your fiction about being a nation-hopping billionaire with flats in romantic cities across three continents ? Ya can’t.
Awwww, you're jealous. Your life must not be that interesting.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Yes, it would be intentional. The main danger of unnecessary iron supplementation is toxic long-term build-up, which will cause harm, up to and including death. "Just take more iron" is not a safe health message, and it the UK's messaging isn't much better, let's remember that the UK's overall COVID strategy is very callous.
It will not. Your body tightly regulates iron absorption through hepcidin. If your stores are full, your body simply does not absorb it. Hence, you may find yourself having diarrhea (my earlier statement).

You cannot kill yourself off OTC iron, stop the scare mongering!

Quote:
The only change of now appears that, probably because it's so infectious, Omicron might require a longer cour$e of treatment. The nonsense about minimal danger gets old. There's always the possibility it gets a strong footing in the lower respiratory system, and then it's a bad, possibly very dangerous infection. People with poor immune systems need things like Paxxlovid, and furthermore there are likely to be more overtly dangerous variants.
Paxxlovid poisons everyone equally. They're the chemical equivalent of blood letting done in the medieval ages.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Agree on the Pfizer drug.

Most viruses get less deadly and more infectious over time it's not "likely" to go the other way. Sometimes pandemic strains of viruses have large mutations that allow them to be deadly but usually evolution pushes it in the opposite direction over time. Mortality rate for the original alpha strain was 0.6% according to the WHO. Omicron is now 0.14% comparatively which is a massive drop in 2 years. The flu is 0.1% by the way so it's not far away from that.

For the record our 7 day mortality rate is the lowest in the US it's been since March 2020 right now despite almost no mask or other restrictions. I anticipate slight bumps come summer and winter but it'll almost certainly be less severe than the last 2 years.
I've seen figures as much as 1/50 less deadly than Delta, this study has it 1/10th

Quote:
Results Our analyses included 52,297 cases with SGTF (Omicron) and 16,982 cases with non-SGTF (Delta [B.1.617.2]) infections, respectively. Hospital admissions occurred among 235 (0.5%) and 222 (1.3%) of cases with Omicron and Delta variant infections, respectively. Among cases first tested in outpatient settings, the adjusted hazard ratios for any subsequent hospital admission and symptomatic hospital admission associated with Omicron variant infection were 0.48 (0.36-0.64) and 0.47 (0.35-0.62), respectively. Rates of ICU admission and mortality after an outpatient positive test were 0.26 (0.10-0.73) and 0.09 (0.01-0.75) fold as high among cases with Omicron variant infection as compared to cases with Delta variant infection. Zero cases with Omicron variant infection received mechanical ventilation, as compared to 11 cases with Delta variant infections throughout the period of follow-up (two-sided p<0.001). Median duration of hospital stay was 3.4 (2.8-4.1) days shorter for hospitalized cases with Omicron variant infections as compared to hospitalized patients with Delta variant infections, reflecting a 69.6% (64.0-74.5%) reduction in hospital length of stay.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.22269045v1

This study found somewhat similar results:

Quote:
We found that the high relative transmissibility of Omicron variant is mainly due to its immune evasion ability while the infection fatality rate is substantially decreased. The reduction in the infection fatality rate is about 78.7% (95% confidence interval: 66.9%, 85%).
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01971222002284

All of this makes it less deadly than influenza since the original WuFlu was about 3 to no more than 5x as deadly.

Of course, these statistics are over populations. There is a profile of people influenza affects even stronger than the original WuFlu ever did like children, healthy people etc. Sars-CoV-2 really impacts people with diabetes and renal issues and spares everyone else (exceptions exist!).

Old 04-26-2022, 10:16 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Just throwing this in as far as to why so many from out of state comment in the CA section and only my opinion of course. We have a very active section of the site and people tend to want to engage in discussion so along with Florida and New York, we see a lot of traffic.

It's amusing though because the out-of-towners who agree with our residents here are accepted with open arms but if you disagree, you're met with antagonism and snark.

As a far as the virus, the majority of people commenting here are from the southern California area and their experience is much different from those of us who live in other parts of the state. It's good to remember that. We don't all live under the same restrictions as southern CA does. We are now mask free except where the state says we must still wear one. In my area, not many wear masks in the stores any longer and the number of people ill is minimal. It's pretty relaxed for which I'm very grateful.

I actually feel bad for those folks in southern CA. It must be incredibly stressful. I do hope things improve soon for everyone there

Old 04-26-2022, 10:36 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
VP Harris has covid... no symptoms

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/26/polit...vid/index.html

Old 04-26-2022, 10:38 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Awwww, you're jealous. Your life must not be that interesting.
Jealous of sitting in a basement bedroom posting for rep points?

Nah.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Jealous of sitting in a basement bedroom posting for rep points?

Nah.
You must be, because you sure are fixated on me. Yet to me you're a nobody, i don't know who you are, and wouldn't care where you're posting from. But continue, it's flattering. I got an admirer.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:41 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I guess that was inevitable as many in the WH have had it and gotten over it. With "no symptoms," it would appear that the severity of the virus is lessening which was predicted some time ago. So as with all viruses we've experienced over the past hundred or so years, this one isn't going to be any different and one day, we'll all be saying, "Remember when .... ?"

It can't come soon enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California