Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 09:17 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I know crazy LA just can’t give them up.
Read the L.A. County stats. https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-...-19-cases.html

Old 04-27-2022, 09:51 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's been apparent since Omicron hit that the vaccines don't prevent transmission; what they do is reduce the chance of serious illness from COVID-19.
I think we have a paradox. I don't know of any vaccine that has no (or maybe even negative) efficacy in regards to infection, but mitigates severe disease. I mean, you have vaccines like the vaccines for Tetanus, which are targeting the toxins the bacteria produce and not the bacteria, but those aside.

You agree with me this is a paradox? Do you have any scientific explanations for possible immunological mechanisms for this? I have a few guesses, want to hear what yours are.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:55 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
You should be responsible and get tested to determine if it is (potentially more than "minor") COVID.
Testing doesn't make you "responsible". My wife works from home and is not in contact with anyone. Not sure why she would test...it really doesn't matter other than curiosity.

I remember asking a client that tried to pull that one on me when I was masking and going shopping at 6am when virtually no one was at the store and I could easily keep ample distance. I think people get a little too hung up on testing without looking at a person's situation.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
I don't know of any vaccine that has no (or maybe even negative) efficacy in regards to infection, but mitigates severe disease.
Negative efficacy? Previously posted; scroll back.

"A new project from researchers at UC San Francisco in collaboration with the California Department of Public Health draws the clearest picture to date on what the state might have looked like had the vaccines never materialized.

In the first 10 months of their availability, COVID-19 vaccines prevented an estimated 1.5 million coronavirus infections, nearly 73,000 hospitalizations, and almost 20,000 deaths in California, according to a study published Friday in the journal JAMA Network Open.

The number of infections reported during those 10 months was 72% lower than would have been expected in the absence of vaccines, the study added."

Old 04-27-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Testing doesn't make you "responsible". My wife works from home and is not in contact with anyone. Not sure why she would test...
But if your wife has no symptoms, so there would be no purpose in her testing unless she felt that she'd been exposed to someone who has the virus.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
But if your wife has no symptoms, so there would be no purpose in her testing unless she felt that she'd been exposed to someone who has the virus.
I was referring to in the event she did. The poster I responded to was automatically associating being responsible with testing. If my wife happened to come into contact with someone and did have symptoms, but was going to be home anyway for the next week or so, the thought that she was being irresponsible just because she didn't test is ridiculous. It's more about situational analysis than anything else. And as far as I'm concerned, the gold standard is always distance If you don't want to infect someone.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:28 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,343 times
Quote:
Negative efficacy? Previously posted; scroll back.

"A new project from researchers at UC San Francisco in collaboration with the California Department of Public Health draws the clearest picture to date on what the state might have looked like had the vaccines never materialized.

In the first 10 months of their availability, COVID-19 vaccines prevented an estimated 1.5 million coronavirus infections, nearly 73,000 hospitalizations, and almost 20,000 deaths in California, according to a study published Friday in the journal JAMA Network Open.

The number of infections reported during those 10 months was 72% lower than would have been expected in the absence of vaccines, the study added."
Yes, negative efficacy.

Note from your blurb: In the first 10 months

I,e before Omicron. With Omicron we're seeing no to negative efficacy for infection.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:33 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I was referring to in the event she did. The poster I responded to was automatically associating being responsible with testing. If my wife happened to come into contact with someone and did have symptoms, but was going to be home anyway for the next week or so, the thought that she was being irresponsible just because she didn't test is ridiculous. It's more about situational analysis than anything else. And as far as I'm concerned, the gold standard is always distance If you don't want to infect someone.
Which is true, if and only if everyone will be staying home, but I wasn't talking to you and wasn't assuming that his household is inclined to do a precautionary, possibly needless quarantine.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Which is true, if and only if everyone will be staying home, but I wasn't talking to you and wasn't assuming that his household is inclined to do a precautionary, possibly needless quarantine.
Regardless if you were talking to me or not, you were making an assumption of the poster you directed your comment to without knowing the situation, and automatically assuming behavior was irresponsible if the person wasn't testing. I think it's fair to say you really need to know the details before making a comment like that. As stated, just because someone doesn't test doesn't make them irresponsible. Same thing goes for having a vaccine or masking. Someone can be very responsible and do neither of those.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:04 AM

426 posts, read 177,997 times
I thought this pandemic has been over months ago? We are still talking about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California