Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2022, 12:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times

Advertisements

The reality is that it didn’t kill us.
It is also weaker than the flu.
I say this as a person that has had both.

What would you rather have the flu or covid?
I’ll take the covid over the flu any day.

Have you ever had covid?

Old 05-31-2022, 12:53 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
I don't want either, I shouldn't have to get COVID-19, and it's never guaranteed how someone's experience will be. My anecdotal experience is as worthless as yours. It's up to scientists to determine which virus is more harmful to health, and so far they suggest COVID-19 'wins' that. Omicron, as mild as it might seem, definitely wins in social disruptiveness, restrictions or not.

Old 05-31-2022, 01:24 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
The first wave of covid was very harsh.
I'm confused. You just said that COVID is like a cold.

Quote:
We are vaccinated with 2 shots of Pfizer when that first came out.
All had access to the vaccine near 2 years or so ago.
Unless you were a medical professional, the first vaccines weren't available to the general public until January of 2021. And then only for those over 65 and/or those with compromised immune systems. And then it opened up to the rest of the population by age, with many appointments not easy to book.

Quote:
Shutting down the country an additional year or year and a half was foolish.
A year and a half? Where do you live?

Old 05-31-2022, 01:36 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
The current version is just like a simple cold.
The first version was like a cold that lingered on near 3 weeks.
I consider a 3 week cold as harsh.

Did not all have access for over a year and a half.

I live on the west coast in both California and Washington.
We had rediculous restrictions until recent that said we were safe in restaurants as long as we were sitting down.
Stand up and go to the restroom and you were in immense danger.

I am not going to argue the Covid thing with you guys.
That would be akin to wrestling with….

Old 05-31-2022, 03:34 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, running on a treadmill or stationary bike or ANY exercise that gets heart rate up is going to cause people to breathe hard. Gyms smell like bad breathe and BO for a reason. Almost all of them have horrible ventilation. Especially the locker rooms.

Better off riding a bike or running outside. This is why I ride bikes and have an Olympic set plus spin bike in my garage. Gyms are a petri dish for infections. No matter how hard you try you cannot disinfect the equipment.

All the signs that say "wipe down after use". Do people clean the public toilet seat before or after using it. Ya.
I do cardio outside only with a few exceptions during rainy winters. That said I'm a long-term weight lifter. Not only does that strengthen bones and strengthen muscles, it reduces fat arguably better than any other exercise as muscles increase metabolism. Unless you have serious dumbbells, bench press, squat racks etc in your garage you can't match a gym.

And as for the covid thing even being slightly overweight is associated with worse outcomes during covid infection. This includes people without heart disease or diabetes.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7010e4.htm

Old 06-01-2022, 08:06 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Statewide, officials are reporting nearly 15,000 new coronavirus cases a day, a rate nearly as high as during last summer’s Delta surge. The latest wave was spawned by the highly infectious Omicron strains.

San Francisco has one of the state’s highest coronavirus case rates, reporting more than 400 a week for every 100,000 residents as of Thursday. Los Angeles County was reporting 308 cases a week for every 100,000 residents as of Tuesday. A rate of 100 or more is considered high.

“It’s now a big-time surge,” Dr. Robert Wachter, chair of UC San Francisco’s Department of Medicine, tweeted Monday. “No longer just cases … also major uptick in hospitalizations. … If you’re trying to stay well, time to up your game.”

...California is averaging 33 COVID-19 deaths a day, a level that has remained stable.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...hly-disruptive

Old 06-01-2022, 08:22 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
See New York's COVID-19 cases plummet 36.5%, omicron wave receding across state (link).

Old 06-01-2022, 09:49 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
DOJ begs for overturn of ruling.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...mand-rcna31355

The Federal Aviation Administration said this month the rate of unruly air passenger incidents fell to its lowest level since late 2020 soon after the judge’s mask mandate ruling, which also lifted requirements for masks in taxis or ride-share vehicles.

Guess the DOJ loves to see the plebes fight each other on planes.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:07 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
While people whine about testing and some people continue to have their lives ruined by infection, there's an ongoing worker shortage that is caused in part by workers who either are sick or don't want to risk their health for low pay.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/summer-...u36d6dvj3dsw8t (if anyone can access the full article)

Old 06-01-2022, 06:16 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
While people whine about testing and some people continue to have their lives ruined by infection, there's an ongoing worker shortage that is caused in part by workers who either are sick or don't want to risk their health for low pay.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/summer-...u36d6dvj3dsw8t (if anyone can access the full article)
Baloney. It's because there was a major part of the work force decided to retire or were forced to find jobs that can work from home. It even says so in that article. Fear mongering....phfttt

At the same time, workers, especially those with limited skills who traditionally fill summer jobs, are likely to have multiple options and receive higher pay.

in part because many second homeowners have been working remotely from Cape Cod during the pandemic

So there is a demand for workers but they've found jobs online. I'm one of them, my kids are two more. It's covid related but sure as hell isn't fear of covid.

Your Govt created the situation, this is just us responding. It doesn't help we just keep printing money so we are all taking a pay haircut.

Who wants or even can drive to a low wage job with 6 dollar a gallon gas. This entire scenario was created and it's not "covid fear".

These low wage places will either have to pay more or fold. Capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California