Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2022, 09:28 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

Now you seem to admit ventilation isn't much of an issue. The 'kids' haven't gotten infected in the gym or spread the misery there, right? I don't understand your safety objection to weightlifting there.

I do affirm the gripes about hogging machines - I see that often in one part of one location - while obnoxious selfie-related behavior I've almost never seen. Maybe my gym chain has a culture of fairly good behavior, widespread lack of masks notwithstanding.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:12 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
So good, we are all in agreement now. Indoors for any activity is fine. We finally got out of the nosedive collectively. Let's move on and live.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:13 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So good, we are all in agreement now. Indoors for any activity is fine. We finally got out of the nosedive collectively. Let's move on and live.
That’s definitely what I heard. GH finally coming around.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
This is all true but I think some people go to the gym in order to target certain muscle groups and grow them in a specific way. Just working around your house lifting rocks and what not does not do that. That said I am not one of those. Surfing is my primary activity and everything I do around that is to hopefully make me a better surfer or just maintain in the meantime. When I have projects around the house I definitely skip the gym
Yeah, large muscle groups. I don't know how to safely do that with free weights or less. Push-ups don't get it done for me. I don't care much about how my legs look, but leg strength matters and I doubt casual chores is adequate for that. Am I supposed to regularly bend down to lift and move furniture?

I think I've gone far enough off-topic. Most activities have actual value; it's just a question of what outweighs the virus risk, both personal and subsequent spread. It's probably sensible even for antisocial people to take a little risk, because completely routinely holing up from microorganisms likely means the body will be unprepared for some of them when inevitably there is exposure. Except high-risk people - they might need to do the Oprah/Kathy Griffin thing for longer, which is not fair and I put in a word for them where I can.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No. Absolutely not. All activities are different, and there should be as much of an objective standard as possible.

Also, if they've found some other way to stay fit, I commend the people who have stopped doing cardio indoors. They show that long-term adjustment is possible.

Last edited by goodheathen; 06-20-2022 at 10:30 PM..

Old 06-20-2022, 10:48 PM

Going back to large muscle groups, there's something to be said about heart-intensive exercise as healthy. It's use of the big muscle groups that seem to pump the heart for a while, unless someone wants to be very tedious with arm exercises using medium or heavy weights, and I haven't found push-ups and a few other things at home to provide the prolonged exercise of enough intensity I should be doing. I personally don't like the non-weightlifting types of exercise that work the heart. "Do it anyway" more than once in a while doesn't work well on me or for example the people I say should get tested for the virus when entering the country (although that seems necessary to end the pandemic without a very good vaccine). When there's more than slight risk or personal inconvenience, I think precedence should be for near-necessary activities. Health, health, health. Individual health (mental included) and public health. The virus nibbling them away is what we're facing.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:33 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Good news for Californians.

"While it’s too soon to say for certain, there are signs the current wave is starting to recede. Over the weeklong period ending Thursday, California reported an average of just over 13,400 new cases per day — down from the latest spike’s high point of nearly 16,700 daily cases, according to data compiled by The Times.

By comparison, last summer’s Delta surge topped out at almost 14,400 new cases per day, on average.

And more than 8,300 coronavirus-positive patients were hospitalized statewide on some days at the height of Delta — almost three times as many as during the most recent wave.

The difference in each surge’s impact on intensive care units has been even starker. During Delta, there were days with more than 2,000 coronavirus-positive patients in ICUs statewide. In the latest wave, however, that daily census has so far topped out at around 300.

“At the very beginning of the pandemic, we noted right away the game-changers were going to be vaccines, easy access to testing and therapeutics — and now we have all those things,” said Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer.

“It doesn’t say the pandemic’s over. That’s not what we’ve accomplished,” she stressed. “What we’ve accomplished is we’ve reduced the risk, but we haven’t eliminated the risk.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-to-the-script

Old 06-21-2022, 08:15 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I agree that we had a current wave.
It went through our family and a good portion of us recently got it.
Most if not all of our family never went to a doctor.
It just did not seem like a serious health threat.
We know we need to isolate.
I imagine most of us are not going to hospitals for this.

Are they still doing waste drain testing?
How are they monitoring these waves if people aren’t going to the hospital in fear for their lives?
I think we will “be all right” until our immunities wear off again and we have another wave.

Other than my mother who is in her mid 80’s non of us who I know really care about it.
We do care about the inconvenience of it but that’s about as far as it goes.
Nobody like isolation or cold/flu like symptoms but we are not scared for our lives.

That said most people hang out with people of similar of health and mind.
Other than my healthy mom in her 80’s I don’t know anyone of serious risk.

About these boosters, how do we know that they are really up to date?
My brother in law has been boosted twice and recently came down with it.

I know I won’t be getting any more shots.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:46 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

“It doesn’t say the pandemic’s over. That’s not what we’ve accomplished,” she stressed. “What we’ve accomplished is we’ve reduced the risk, but we haven’t eliminated the risk.”[/i]

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-to-the-script
I find statements like this by health officials disturbing at this point where we know COVID is never going to go away. It's like they always want to keep some reason so impose whatever arbitrary mandate they feel like at any point.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:05 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's like they always want to keep some reason so impose whatever arbitrary mandate they feel like at any point.
Did you read the rest of the article, though? ".....,during this latest wave — fueled by an alphanumeric soup of Omicron subvariants, including BA.2 and BA.2.12.1 — such aggressive action (stringent orders that restricted peoples’ movements and shut down broad swaths of the economy) seems off the table.

“I think, deep in my heart, unless we see a new variant that evades our current vaccine protection, we are not going to need to go back to the more drastic tools we had to use early on the pandemic when we didn’t have vaccines, when we didn’t have access to testing, when we didn’t have therapeutics,” Ferrer said in an interview."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California