Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 09:28 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
But these camp "cases" are barely common colds! A lot like the "exploding cases" everywhere else.
Says you, in an assertion that lawyers should know better than to make. I'd be surprised if nobody gets bad fatigue that isn't found in colds. For families to pay good money to send kids to get sick and possibly incur long-term damage (more likely if repeat infections) at an unnecessary doing, that's a rip-off.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:40 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Alameda County just rescinded their mask mandate after a few weeks after citing noncompliance as a main reason. Getting people back into masks is going to be near impossible at this point if even the most liberal part of the state can't do it.

They're saying the numbers normalized and that's the reason but that's rather dubious.
When you look at the data, Alameda county's positivity rate is below the state average too. Then there's this:

The mandate had been in place since June 3. Other Bay Area counties opted not to join Alameda County in mandating masks again, citing the fact that the highly vaccinated region is well-protected against severe illness and death. Hospitalization numbers in the region did not come anywhere close to the figures seen in the winter omicron surge.

As you said, if even the most "liberal" part of the state sees vaccination as a good enough shield, it's time to move on. It's pointless to base policy on case positivity anymore. That metric is antiquated in the big picture of the pandemic.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:47 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Actually, it was because case numbers fell.

https://covid-19.acgov.org/data.page

Did they though? It looks really suspect.

Even moreso, it's doubtful a mask order for 20 days was what caused the adjustment. That's really spurious reasoning given all the variables. That's not to mean I don't think masks have their place (they do), just that this is very sketchy cause and effect.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:31 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
They're saying the numbers normalized and that's the reason but that's rather dubious.
When you look at the data, Alameda county's positivity rate is below the state average too. Then there's this...
It sounds as if they're also taking into consideration the number of hospitalizations that have dropped. If we really believed--not saying you do--that these people stay up all night trying to invent restrictions to drive us crazy, we'd go nuts.

"Daily reported COVID-19 cases have peaked and continue to decline, and case rates are improving across
each of the County’s largest racial and ethnic groups, including Hispanic/Latino residents who were once
again disproportionately affected. Local wastewater data, which provides information about the amount of
COVID-19 circulating in the community even when reported case information is incomplete, supports these
trends. While the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 remains elevated, daily new hospital
admissions of patients with COVID-19 have stabilized. Yesterday, Alameda County moved from CDC’s
“High” (Orange) COVID-19 Community Level to “Moderate” (Yellow)..."

https://covid-19.acgov.org/covid19-a...2022.06.24.pdf

Old 06-25-2022, 12:09 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Only 34% of children 5-11 in California are vaccinated, and only 66% of kids 12-17. Suzy is just trying to explain what happens when there's an outbreak.
I’m aware and I was more referring to vaccination for adults. Kids don’t get very sick or sick at all even without vaccination, over 70% kids have already had the virus. The camp is requiring kids to be vaccinated and even boosted for those over 12 FYI.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:35 PM

Again, pure assertion. Many kids do get symptoms, severity possibly not studied closely beyond the hospitalization and death that are rare. I interject that stomach problems aren't unusual, which true colds don't cause. Plus, once again multiple infections in a year risks some cumulative damage.

Since vaccines for pre-teens are largely ineffective at slowing spread and preventing all symptoms and take longer to develop to where mutations might outpace them, this is a possible problem for years and would mean ongoing testing, ventilation, etc. Adults shrugging it off, as though they themselves would work for free at jobs where they're often sick. I know I wouldn't want to be a kid today with parents like that.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:58 PM

Few people would be okay with year-round flu in schools, I like to think. That and other viruses that can affect the stomach are generally risky and none is the common cold. Kids do not just get a runny nose from Omicron. They not rarely get bad cough, significant fatigue, upset stomach, etc. Do not post misinformation.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:25 PM

Don't accuse me of lying.
The running nose thing isn't even on the list (though it probably will happen as congestion ends).
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coro...t-for/2799012/

People can believe and act as though the Earth is flat. What they should do is something else. I say any parent of young children who downplays the virus needs to change his or her attitude. Children's well-being is supposed to be a top priority.

Old 06-25-2022, 04:40 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Don't accuse me of lying.
The running nose thing isn't even on the list (though it probably will happen as congestion ends).
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coro...t-for/2799012/

People can believe and act as though the Earth is flat. What they should do is something else. I say any parent of young children who downplays the virus needs to change his or her attitude. Children's well-being is supposed to be a top priority.
People want to go party and play. Self focused.

Old 06-25-2022, 04:45 PM

More than 2 years of the government suppressing hospital infection specifics
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...covid-00042378

I think there's a link between that and the deaths-with-COVID myth. Because people went to the hospital with other conditions, caught the virus there, and died, and the families knew why they went in and assumed the hospitals made it up for fraudulent reasons instead of assuming the hospitals simply were too cowardly to say the infection happened there. Maybe hospitals will need to be sued to better keep transmission from taking place.

We're nowhere near out of this mess, and the public officials are as likely to lie about it as they are to help solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California