Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2022, 11:36 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,390,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I read that and wanted to throw a brick through my TV. COME ON. This has been all about CONTROL from day one.

Not defending the decision, but it was based on an algorithm that's been in place since Spring. I'm more surprised they didn't just outright cancel the last week of Summer, although who knows... there may be a Sunday evening email doing just that. Even if it would do anything, it's a bit late to bother. My prediction is it will crash attendance even worse than normal because it will scare off some types and **** off the others.

It's a dumb decision but it portends what might happen come Fall. We aren't done with the on-again, off-again approach just yet. It's really baffling.

Old 07-16-2022, 11:45 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
If you all are ordered to mask up again…..are you really going to do it???
No one well enforce it. LE has better things to do than be pawns for these clowns. Every day I go over a bridge to get across the freeway and at least one homeless person is shooting up. Little kids that have to walk home across this bridge get to see this daily. Trash, needles all over.

Covid is so far in the rear view mirror in what we have to deal with as a society and it's problems.

Old 07-16-2022, 11:53 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,133,793 times
Quote:
No one well enforce it. LE has better things to do than be pawns for these clowns. Every day I go over a bridge to get across the freeway and at least one homeless person is shooting up. Little kids that have to walk home across this bridge get to see this daily. Trash, needles all over.

Covid is so far in the rear view mirror in what we have to deal with as a society and it's problems.
That’s what I figured but LA just won’t let Covid go. I just don’t see people putting masks on again to shop but I never understood the mentality of Angelinos. I bet Barbara’s going to try one last time though

Old 07-16-2022, 12:17 PM

26,593 posts, read 26,478,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
That’s what I figured but LA just won’t let Covid go. I just don’t see people putting masks on again to shop but I never understood the mentality of Angelinos.
As if residents of L.A. County have anything to do with setting mandates.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:14 PM

6,602 posts, read 4,817,614 times
The potential reaction of course is a factor, perhaps just as much from the business community as residents. With many offices regularly testing workers and anecdotally cashiers increasingly masking, I think LA County believes enough private establishments will block entry to unmasked people. If the county had been requiring most on-site-indoors employees to wear N95 masks, maybe transmission wouldn't be sky-high now.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:17 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,748,826 times
Quote:

Humm, what is LE actually doing these days?

Old 07-16-2022, 04:41 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Humm, what is LE actually doing these days?
Handing out tents and needles apparently. This is California.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:48 AM

1,618 posts, read 1,077,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Not defending the decision, but it was based on an algorithm that's been in place since Spring. I'm more surprised they didn't just outright cancel the last week of Summer, although who knows... there may be a Sunday evening email doing just that. Even if it would do anything, it's a bit late to bother. My prediction is it will crash attendance even worse than normal because it will scare off some types and **** off the others.

It's a dumb decision but it portends what might happen come Fall. We aren't done with the on-again, off-again approach just yet. It's really baffling.
The problem is there is still a "state of emergency" that Newsom started 2.5 years ago. This "state of emergency" gives public health officers that are appointed and not elected 100% dictatorial powers to enact all sorts of decrees from masking to shutting businesses to closing schools and parks. Whether these are actually legally enforceable is up for debate (many Bay Area businesses hired lawyers and successfully ignored the fines levied on them for noncompliance for example), but public health officers can nonetheless totally alter the functioning of a county with the stroke of a pen.

Putting up some nonsensical metric about "cases" (not useful metrics like ICU capacity, deaths etc) allows the county to enact all sorts of restrictions while appearing "scientific" about it. Based on the last 2 years it's clear cases rise midsummer and in the winter. If they set the bar low enough they can guarantee masking during both these times if they want. The county health officer of Los Angeles (Barbara Ferrer), can simply ignore the fact that Orange and San Diego counties have much lower covid mortalities per capita despite mask mandates not existing for almost an additional year and cite her silly metrics and declare "it's science!" to all the naysayers. She can't be voted out no matter how much the people of Los Angeles hate her and will 100% just deflect blame and say " it's not me it's just these [arbitrary] metrics meant to keep everyone safe!"

Last edited by njbiodude; 07-17-2022 at 12:56 AM..

Old 07-17-2022, 10:14 AM

6,602 posts, read 4,817,614 times
Los Angeles is not its neighbors in the population makeup, etc.

The problem is not too much power by local public health officers. It's probably too little. What can they do that's widespread and stricter than a mask order? Probably nothing. Obviously they can't shut the border. Because social fun in a face mask is nearly an oxymoron and masks remind people that we're in a dangerous situation, that presumably reduces turnout in indoor social spaces and slows spread that way. It's unlikely for an order to even require the general public to wear N95 masks, due to supply issues.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:58 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,133,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
As if residents of L.A. County have anything to do with setting mandates.
That’s not what I meant. I meant if any population in the whole US would willingly put masks back on it would be people in LA or San Francisco.

I work at a pharmacy in Idaho. One of my coworkers got Covid and after 3 days they asked him to come in and work and just wear a mask and he did. That’s how over Covid Idaho is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California