Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2022, 01:12 AM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

Just read the paper or at least the abstract, conclusion and discussion. I'd you want to read the methodology too go for it.

Using yahoo as a source then discrediting a brand new peer reviewed Nature paper (one of the top science journals in the world) seems pretty ridiculous.
It is not a peer reviewed Nature article. The Nature article is a news report. The original is a preprint on MedRxiv not yet peer reviewed.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.22277448v1

From the Nature link:

"'It’s a good study,' says Kei Sato, a virologist at the University of Tokyo. But he points out that the length of time between first and second infections could have influenced the results. Earlier variants have been around longer than Omicron, which emerged only in late 2021. And several studies, including one by the same team in Qatar, have shown that natural immunity against SARS-CoV-2 wanes over time.

Alex Sigal, a virologist at the Africa Health Research Institute in Durban, South Africa, agrees. 'The time that [has] passed since your original infection is much shorter with Omicron, so it’s really not a fair comparison,' he says. Sigal adds that participants’ vaccination statuses are unclear from the results, as is information on whether primary infections took place before or after vaccination, which could be an important consideration."

Note that in order to get protection from a previous infection with any variant, you have to be infected, with the risks that entails.

Old 07-22-2022, 06:28 AM

34,992 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
San Diego Unified School District, not San Diego County.
Even worse; school children need to learn through seeing facial gestures, and people of student age rarely get seriously ill.

Old 07-22-2022, 06:43 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Even worse; school children need to learn through seeing facial gestures, and people of student age rarely get seriously ill.
Tell it to the doc.

"It was just two months ago, in May, that most Los Angeles schools made indoor masking optional. I asked my school-age patients what they were going to do. Some told me it was just easier to leave their masks on. They felt safer. Most, however, ditched their masks. And just like clockwork, I saw new cases of COVID ticking up among students, teachers and many of my youngest patients, just in time for school plays, proms and graduations."

-Nina Shapiro, director of pediatric ear, nose and throat at UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ic-los-angeles

Old 07-22-2022, 09:03 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
another Yahoo report, longer and more informative than usual, I think
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ba-5-covi...094503697.html

Old 07-22-2022, 01:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,068,630 times
How many reports, studies and policies have been found to be full of it?
That’s a pretty big list and it’s the main reason people don’t trust blindly anymore.

The best thing we can do is to use common sense.
Keeping a healthy diet and exercise should top that list.
If you are in high risk self isolation and possibly masks might be your friend.
Avoid crowded elevators and situations similar to that.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:30 PM

50,233 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
*cautiously raises hand*
I even lived in a household with a family member who had it, and didn't get sick. There's no absolute formula for transmission.
My wife never caught it but I have twice and both kids once.

The vaccine after having covid was far worse for me.

My son has had to wear a mask from day one, good masks, and he still caught it. About half the work staff did too.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:29 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
How many reports, studies and policies have been found to be full of it?
That’s a pretty big list and it’s the main reason people don’t trust blindly anymore.

The best thing we can do is to use common sense.
Keeping a healthy diet and exercise should top that list.
If you are in high risk self isolation and possibly masks might be your friend.
Avoid crowded elevators and situations similar to that.
I can't think of any mainstream reports about the virus since almost everyone realized it's airborne that have been significantly inaccurate.

Also, people cannot exercise and diet their way into low risk (although some very out-of-shape people can move out of the high-risk zone that way).

And use common sense? Like the millions of people dining in restaurants, attending indoor concerts, traveling long distances on planes, etc. with a harmful airborne virus? Going out while positive or feeling sick too, in some cases. As an added insult, all of them usually unmasked.

High-risk people are for the most part using common sense, and so are people like me, but we can't overcome the idiot masses.

How many more years of highly restricted living for not-so-outdoorsy sensible people? How many times since last summer do I have to repeat most of what I just wrote?

I challenge you to admit this seems to be an impasse and that, for example, forbidding most travel in and out of the country, might get us out of it fairly soon.

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-22-2022 at 03:39 PM..

Old 07-22-2022, 03:31 PM

50,233 posts, read 46,991,184 times
San Diego was mask free for over a year, we still are besides this flip flop public school mess. Everyone else has ZERO restrictions. What's going on up there. The rest of the US is back to normal.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:22 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Tell it to the doc.

"It was just two months ago, in May, that most Los Angeles schools made indoor masking optional. I asked my school-age patients what they were going to do. Some told me it was just easier to leave their masks on. They felt safer. Most, however, ditched their masks. And just like clockwork, I saw new cases of COVID ticking up among students, teachers and many of my youngest patients, just in time for school plays, proms and graduations."

-Nina Shapiro, director of pediatric ear, nose and throat at UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ic-los-angeles

This is reminiscent of early in the pandemic where people would catch some blurb from a random doctor that they happened to agree with and treat it as the gospel truth, just because a "doctor" said it. Not saying this is your intent in the above post but it's best to take off the cuff remarks with a giant grain of salt.

I really don't care what some random pediatric ENT, podiatrist, neurosurgeon, or anyone else says about masks or whatnot.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:28 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My wife never caught it but I have twice and both kids once.

The vaccine after having covid was far worse for me.

My son has had to wear a mask from day one, good masks, and he still caught it. About half the work staff did too.

Right? It's crazy. Some of us have covid deflectors in our blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California