Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2022, 11:03 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
1) That's a credible Canadian website.
Yeah, and the data is about Canada, not the U.S. Stick with the U.S. information. What happens in Canada doesn't apply to us.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:17 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Canada is our neighbor and has a similar COVID-19 situation. Of course it's relevant, especially to northern California. Plus, as I said, I didn't go looking for the article nor am focusing on country-specific data. Back off now.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:36 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
The Hill is "bad" but some shady 3rd rate Canadian news site is newsworthy
But making references to UK news is okay?

Quote:
Johns Hopkins Study?

A recent one from the UK government?

I've already linked them multiple times in earlier posts, I won't do it again.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:51 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
And Los Angeles county considers deaths within 90 days of testing positive a "covid death" hence the fact that their mortality count is 2x the CDCs...
From your link:

"Suspected cases are not counted towards a facility's COVID-19 death count until investigated and determined to be a COVID-19 associated death.

COVID-19 associated deaths must be reported by healthcare providers within 24 hours by:
Completing the Respiratory Virus Death Report Web form...", etc.
http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd...ReportForm.pdf

Old 09-02-2022, 12:17 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Canada is our neighbor and has a similar COVID-19 situation. Of course it's relevant, especially to northern California. Plus, as I said, I didn't go looking for the article nor am focusing on country-specific data. Back off now.
Doesn't matter if they're our neighbor or not. What happens there is still different than what we experience. And I'll back off when you do. You're not the boss of me.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:24 PM

Some people call Canada the 51st state, and it's probably more similar to the 50 states than our territory Puerto Rico is. There should be no policing of credible news from foreign countries not very different from the USA. Canada, for example, in theory could experience a lethal variant that has yet to enter the USA.

Old 09-02-2022, 03:23 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times
Quote:
1) That's a credible Canadian website.
2) "Reported COVID-19 deaths around the globe have increased by 35 per cent over the past four weeks, the World Health Organization said Wednesday" - the key point isn't about Canada.
3) I'm not some of you. I didn't go looking for that, rarely go looking for articles to post per some agenda, and very rarely post opinion pieces (one side leans toward opinions because facts don't support not taking the virus seriously).
That's a shady liberal Canadian news site with government ties. The Hill is a centrist publication similar in bias to Newsweek and the Wall Street Journal. I don't care that it's Canadian but I think it's funny your calling one of the least biased media sources in the US "total garbage" and then responding with a left wing foreign news source with far fewer readers and asserting it as fact.

Last edited by njbiodude; 09-02-2022 at 03:33 PM..

Old 09-02-2022, 03:38 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
From your link:

"Suspected cases are not counted towards a facility's COVID-19 death count until investigated and determined to be a COVID-19 associated death.

COVID-19 associated deaths must be reported by healthcare providers within 24 hours by:
Completing the Respiratory Virus Death Report Web form...", etc.
http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd...ReportForm.pdf
I never claimed they were automatically counting suspected cases. But their 90 day window is over 3 times as long as the CDC.

As we've already established 95% of Covid deaths aren't due to Covid alone and determining the cause of death can be somewhat tricky. A 94 year old hospitalized cancer patient that got Covid and remained bed bound and died 89 days later would be a Covid death in LA county and not per the CDC which (at least used to) had a window of 28 days.

The fact that they're reporting literally double the Covid deaths bases on their rogue methodology that noone else uses makes a lot of the reporting suspect for California's largest county. The only thing that remains reliable with such discrepancies is total deaths and overall excess deaths.

Old 09-02-2022, 04:11 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
I never claimed they were automatically counting suspected cases. But their 90 day window is over 3 times as long as the CDC.

As we've already established 95% of Covid deaths aren't due to Covid alone and determining the cause of death can be somewhat tricky. A 94 year old hospitalized cancer patient that got Covid and remained bed bound and died 89 days later would be a Covid death in LA county and not per the CDC which (at least used to) had a window of 28 days.

The fact that they're reporting literally double the Covid deaths bases on their rogue methodology that noone else uses makes a lot of the reporting suspect for California's largest county. The only thing that remains reliable with such discrepancies is total deaths and overall excess deaths.

No, you have not established that 95% of covid deaths aren't due to covid alone. Even if they had comorbidities the cause of death was still covid.

Plenty of people have died from covid after being on ventilators for over 28 days.

Cancer patients often have causes of death that are not directly due to their cancers. Infections are common such causes.

Old 09-02-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
That's a shady liberal Canadian news site with government ties. The Hill is a centrist publication similar in bias to Newsweek and the Wall Street Journal. I don't care that it's Canadian but I think it's funny your calling one of the least biased media sources in the US "total garbage" and then responding with a left wing foreign news source with far fewer readers and asserting it as fact.
I called the opinion piece "garbage."

I don't see anything "shady" or government-linked about the Canadian news site, but even if it is, the article on its own is a simple report of facts. I read some right-leaning sites (as an anti-Mexico non-liberal), but because they've gone nuts into insisting things are normal/very livable again, I don't see them publishing fairly objective news reports that I might then share.

Who else is tired of posters gone into right-wing 'scamdemic' territory? I just want things genuinely close to normal and low-risk again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California