Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 03:58 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
Better than living in fear of a cold for the most part. Enjoy. Meanwhile, my wife knows two women that developed breast cancer since Covid started. One just thought the doctor wasn't taking appointments because she listened to the media, and the other was too scared to go to the dr. and didn't want to catch Covid. Talk about two very unfortunate circumstances that had these been caught 1 1/2 years earlier it might not be bad. And, the one undergoing chemo, caught Covid and was nothing more than a cold.

Bravado, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Just got to choose wisely. Go for it.
That, coldly, was their bad judgment. I mean, even malls stayed open. Unlike the dentists, medical doctors (except maybe cosmetic surgeons) provide essential services and had no reason to stop taking patients and I hope most medical offices took special precautions during that period, and they should continue to do that.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yes I would. It's called a dentist chair. Is it THAT hard to understand? There is only minutes between clients at the Dentist and they aren't wearing a mask.

Lobby bad = chair good

Mask up between sips and bites, wear your mask the 8 feet to your table. Same logic or lack thereof.
Congratulations, you are wrong again. I don't remember ever seeing an air purifier in a waiting room, but I have been seeing them further inside medical offices, and there quite possibly is extra ventilation or filtration built into those areas. Air quality has been a concern for medical facilities for long before COVID-19 existed.

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.co...rds-at-clinics
Doesn't say whether waiting rooms are exempt and not great news on the whole, but at least it suggests that newer is better (duh) and medical appointments in hospital buildings and large stand-alone medical complexes probably are fairly safe. And that's Texas, which probably has lower standards than California. The surgical room itself has better air, due to negative air pressure and maybe other requirements, but I don't know if that applies to a dental procedure room

Last edited by goodheathen; 10-05-2022 at 04:21 PM..

Old 10-05-2022, 04:15 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Congratulations, you are wrong again. I don't remember ever seeing an air purifier in a waiting room, but I have been seeing them further inside medical offices, and there quite possibly is extra ventilation or filtration built into those areas. Air quality has been a concern for medical facilities for long before COVID-19 existed.
Possibly, maybe, might, perhaps. Same old dance with no facts.

The only ventilation this office has is a front door and back window open. Regardless, I wasn't afraid at all. The doctor's office I see has an AC unit there is no "filtration". This isn't an airplane.

How do I know? I used to work in the building when it was an ISP and then sold to Sharp medical. There is no "filtration".

Old 10-05-2022, 04:43 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Unlike the dentists, medical doctors (except maybe cosmetic surgeons) provide essential services and had no reason to stop taking patients and I hope most medical offices took special precautions during that period, and they should continue to do that.
You don't think dentistry is an essential service??

That must mean you have been so lucky as never to have had a dental emergency. I had an abcessed root develop during Covid that needed a root canal. It was the worst pain I've been in, in my whole life, and I've been through childbirth three times. Dentistry is absolutely an essential service.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Possibly, maybe, might, perhaps. Same old dance with no facts.

The only ventilation this office has is a front door and back window open. Regardless, I wasn't afraid at all. The doctor's office I see has an AC unit there is no "filtration". This isn't an airplane.

How do I know? I used to work in the building when it was an ISP and then sold to Sharp medical. There is no "filtration".
Your anecdote hardly matters. I established that medical facilities often have (and must have) better indoor air than other places and that the analogy with masking between bites is bogus.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:51 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,106,759 times
Quote:
Your IQ is not low. You can figure out that, even if that's true (which Delta might contradict), something that infects much more people (with not a massive drop in potency) is worse, especially if it pushes aside previous immunity. I'm not interested in a retort that for most "it's just a cold," because that isn't true and there's a significant portion of the population that would get more than mild illness.
Thanks. While I don't consider myself brilliant or anything I do in fact work in the molecular biology field so I know a thing or two that most regular citizens don't with regard to viruses, infectivity etc. I'm also not part of the media or government and am not trying to push an agenda. I appreciate the compliment though. I don't think your IQ is low either--youre just in my opinion way more paranoid/cautious than me. Your reasoning on how Pfizer fluffed their efficacy results in their abridged trials (which also coincided with warmer weather) is sound though and I did in fact upvote you for that.

The current 7 day average death rate is about 1/9 of the rate in early October 2021. If the new variant is any milder that'll put the mortality rate down to influenza levels and possibly lower. I'm not sure what point you consider it safe to resume normal life, but I'm well past that point for myself and my family. We had Covid already, if I get it again at 20-90% of the same symptom intensity (generally yes T-cell mediated immunity will dull subsequent infections) I'm not the least bit concerned.

On another note, did you get the updated booster shot yet? Or do you think a new variant will overtake it by the time winter rolls around rendering it worthless?

Old 10-05-2022, 04:55 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
medical doctors (except maybe cosmetic surgeons) provide essential services and had no reason to stop taking patients
No reason to stop taking patients? Do you not remember the spring of 2020? Hospitals and medical offices cancelled many scheduled surgeries because they were preparing to take on the onslaught of COVID patients.

From March, 2020:
“Hospitals are being urged to postpone as many elective procedures as they can without causing harm to any individual,” said Jan Emerson-Shea of the California Hospital Association. “California has no hard and fast rules, but basically [the question is], can an individual go two to three months, perhaps, without a procedure, or will that cause any harm?”

This JPL scientist was scheduled for breast cancer surgery. Then coronavirus hit:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...onavirus-fears

Old 10-05-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You don't think dentistry is an essential service??

That must mean you have been so lucky as never to have had a dental emergency. I had an abcessed root develop during Covid that needed a root canal. It was the worst pain I've been in, in my whole life, and I've been through childbirth three times. Dentistry is absolutely an essential service.
California seemingly did not treat most dental services as essential, and I suppose with exceptions for emergencies, they appeared to be closed for much of the lockdown period. Analogously, basic health insurance excludes many types of services provided by dentists.

Old 10-05-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No reason to stop taking patients? Do you not remember the spring of 2020? Hospitals and medical offices cancelled many scheduled surgeries because they were preparing to take on the onslaught of COVID patients.

From March, 2020:
“Hospitals are being urged to postpone as many elective procedures as they can without causing harm to any individual,” said Jan Emerson-Shea of the California Hospital Association. “California has no hard and fast rules, but basically [the question is], can an individual go two to three months, perhaps, without a procedure, or will that cause any harm?”

This JPL scientist was scheduled for breast cancer surgery. Then coronavirus hit:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...onavirus-fears
I forgot about that, but this wasn't Florida or some other place that banned surgeries, it was up to doctor discretion (spring 2020 and I think late in that year). Even most surgeons do more than just consult about operations and therefore few if any stopped routine appointments. The media never deliberately gave the message that doctors' appointments or screenings were temporarily unavailable. Anyone who thought that and delayed made a bad decision. Even assuming breast cancer screening is pointless if surgery can't quickly be had is shaky thinking. It's not officials' fault that some people freak out.

Old 10-05-2022, 06:00 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
I forgot about that, but this wasn't Florida or some other place that banned surgeries, it was up to doctor discretion (spring 2020 and I think late in that year). Even most surgeons do more than just consult about operations and therefore few if any stopped routine appointments. The media never deliberately gave the message that doctors' appointments or screenings were temporarily unavailable. Anyone who thought that and delayed made a bad decision. Even assuming breast cancer screening is pointless if surgery can't quickly be had is shaky thinking. It's not officials' fault that some people freak out.
More true today than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California