Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 06:53 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
More true today than ever.
I think it's some of your allies who at first freaked out and now are angry, as though they were tricked (no evidence government knew acute illness would become less likely), and they have black-and-white modes of fear and denial (because any little fear they have would feed itself).

Old 10-05-2022, 07:13 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I think it's some of your allies who at first freaked out and now are angry, as though they were tricked (no evidence government knew acute illness would become less likely), and they have black-and-white modes of fear and denial (because any little fear they have would feed itself).
Most of the crew I hang with thought it was stupid from day 1.

Turns out the overreaction turned into a recession. Enjoy.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:14 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
^ This.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:07 AM

3,499 posts, read 1,745,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Most comments in this years-long thread are opinions, and unlike some of them, mine doesn't conflict with any facts and is vaguely supported by evidence. I don't appreciate being singled out like that. How about you try an approach few people here or elsewhere use toward each other - "Yeah, you might be right."

And I'll limit the accusation to just Moderna and Pfizer, for Novavax is too new on the scene and J&J never seemed to be aggressively promoting its product, maybe because it knew it was disadvantaged in multiple ways.
FYI: There is a lawsuit against the Novavax CEO by some shareholders for selling his shares of company stock for millions (when the stock was worth over $200 a share) right before the stock price sank, now it's only worth $18.00 a share. Many remaining shareholders are livid and want him fired, they claim he didn't pre-warn about reporting lower earnings for the last quarter (among other things he did wrong in their opinion) so they had no chance to sell their stock before the bad news came out and they lost lots of money. They feel since he made millions (and so did other insiders of Novavax by selling), they don't care about defending the company or shareholder value because they never respond publicly to tell critics why their vaccine is better than mRNA.

Last edited by wp169; 10-06-2022 at 07:16 AM..

Old 10-06-2022, 07:51 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
The current 7 day average death rate is about 1/9 of the rate in early October 2021. If the new variant is any milder that'll put the mortality rate down to influenza levels and possibly lower.
“We’re now trying to treat [COVID] like a seasonal influenza and it’s just not yet,” Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the University of Minnesota’s Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), recently told Fortune.

There were 1,055 COVID deaths in the U.S. two weeks ago, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, compared to only 4 flu deaths the same week."

https://fortune.com/well/2022/09/27/...oster-vaccine/

"COVID is still killing hundreds of people every day, which means more than 125,000 additional COVID deaths could occur over the next 12 months if deaths continue at that pace, Fauci notes. COVID-19 has already killed more than 1 million Americans and it was the third leading cause of death in 2021.

A bad flu season kills about 50,000 people."

Old 10-06-2022, 09:24 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,448,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
“We’re now trying to treat [COVID] like a seasonal influenza and it’s just not yet,” Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the University of Minnesota’s Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), recently told Fortune. A bad flu season kills about 50,000 people."

Whenever I see this reasoning, I always think to myself, "what's the threshold for giving a crap?"
Because when you think about it for more than three seconds, quips like the above make it sound like 50k deaths is acceptable but 125k aren't. So where's the line? Why aren't we putting policy in place to address a bad flu season like we do/did covid?

Old 10-06-2022, 09:34 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
“We’re now trying to treat [COVID] like a seasonal influenza and it’s just not yet,” Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the University of Minnesota’s Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), recently told Fortune.

There were 1,055 COVID deaths in the U.S. two weeks ago, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, compared to only 4 flu deaths the same week."

https://fortune.com/well/2022/09/27/...oster-vaccine/

"COVID is still killing hundreds of people every day, which means more than 125,000 additional COVID deaths could occur over the next 12 months if deaths continue at that pace, Fauci notes. COVID-19 has already killed more than 1 million Americans and it was the third leading cause of death in 2021.

A bad flu season kills about 50,000 people."
Wow fortune is now doing epidemiology "tracking"
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us
7 day daily death rate is barely over 200 a day, and yes I don't expect flu deaths to be very high mid September.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:56 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Whenever I see this reasoning, I always think to myself, "what's the threshold for giving a crap?"

....Why aren't we putting policy in place to address a bad flu season like we do/did covid?
What would you like them to do, besides putting the information out there and encouraging people to get a flu shot?

"More than 2½ years into the battle against COVID-19, officials are warning that this fall and winter could see the rebound of a more traditional foe: the flu.

Influenza has been largely dormant the last two seasons, a development some attribute to the infection-prevention protocols put in place to ward off the coronavirus.

But with measures such as mandatory masking, physical distancing and limitations on business and social activities having been put aside amid improved pandemic conditions, California could be in line for a more active flu season this year.

According to the California Department of Public Health, flu activity typically begins to ramp up nationally in late November or December. As a result, officials recommend everyone 6 months and older get a flu shot sometime this month — since it takes a few weeks for the vaccination to reach full potency."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...r-what-to-know

Old 10-06-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Wow fortune is now doing epidemiology "tracking"
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us
7 day daily death rate is barely over 200 a day, and yes I don't expect flu deaths to be very high mid September.
Will you ever stop the misinformation and minimizing? Fortune, a right-leaning publication, is simply reporting, and it's probably a universal assumption among public health officials that the COVID-19 deaths will increase significantly as the weather cools and people spend more time indoors.

Last edited by goodheathen; 10-06-2022 at 11:48 AM..

Old 10-06-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
FYI: There is a lawsuit against the Novavax CEO by some shareholders for selling his shares of company stock for millions (when the stock was worth over $200 a share) right before the stock price sank, now it's only worth $18.00 a share. Many remaining shareholders are livid and want him fired, they claim he didn't pre-warn about reporting lower earnings for the last quarter (among other things he did wrong in their opinion) so they had no chance to sell their stock before the bad news came out and they lost lots of money. They feel since he made millions (and so did other insiders of Novavax by selling), they don't care about defending the company or shareholder value because they never respond publicly to tell critics why their vaccine is better than mRNA.
There's too much concern about profit in that sector. Furthermore, the government probably won't allow advertising of vaccines that pits product against product, especially unproven claims and raising doubts about mRNA. Also, Novavax's hands are tied in market share, because it's not authorized as a booster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California