Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 06:49 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't know. It's killed more people than the Swine flu (H1N1 virus) or SARS did, but has not killed as many as Ebola has.
Ebola is a high-lethality virus that is spread by contact, not respiratory droplets. Very different. Usually kills victims before they can hop a plane or spread it in the community without symptoms. One of the major spreading causes of Ebola is caring for someone with the virus or washing/touching the dead body as part of funeral rituals.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:19 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Now the British health minister is infected with the virus.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...us/ar-BB10YiSk

Old 03-10-2020, 09:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 986,498 times
Quote:
I don't know. It's killed more people than the Swine flu (H1N1 virus) or SARS did, but has not killed as many as Ebola has.
What? H1N1 was far worse. I’m with you that I didn’t even worry about these others. I think I just didn’t pay attention as much as now. But, I’m not really worried about this one either. Too much panic being spread by the media. Hilarious CNN would spend every night in Jan talking about impeachment, and I kept saying wouldn’t it be nice that they talked about this CoronaVirus thing. Too concerned about Trump I guess.

CDC estimate of global H1N1 pandemic deaths: 284,000 | CIDRAP

Old 03-10-2020, 10:11 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
What? H1N1 was far worse. I’m with you that I didn’t even worry about these others. I think I just didn’t pay attention as much as now. But, I’m not really worried about this one either. Too much panic being spread by the media. Hilarious CNN would spend every night in Jan talking about impeachment, and I kept saying wouldn’t it be nice that they talked about this CoronaVirus thing. Too concerned about Trump I guess.

CDC estimate of global H1N1 pandemic deaths: 284,000 | CIDRAP

H1N1 hit mostly younger people under 60...Coronavirus hitting older with Pneumonia (6th leading cause of worldwide death) complications much more.

The scariest thing...H1N1 mortality rate (.03%).

...Coronavirus mortality rate (3.4%)

H1N1 Wikipedia here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic

Old 03-10-2020, 10:26 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
True. I think I'm more alarmed from reading about the stock market dropping, the cancellation of so many events, commercial flights being grounded, schools moving online (UCLA, Stanford, etc) warnings about simple things like going to a movie theater, etc. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to these other viruses, but I don't recall dire warnings on this level before.
I wouldn't worry too much about the stock market. It was due for another correction. This time, the media is grabbing onto any negative thing they can and inflating it. The way they talk, we're all going to be on the streets - or dead - very soon. I talked to my broker yesterday and he reminded me of the previous corrections in the past ten years so this will also pass. Just stay calm, make sure you stay on top of your investments and on top of your own health and the health of those around you. We'll get through it.

By the way, I was really impressed with Gavin Newsom's words on Sunday when he spoke about his talk and dealing with the Trump Administration about all of this. He said the President has given him everything he's asking for and is being a tremendous help. It's nice to see politicians working in a non partisan manner when it comes to containing this virus. I'm not usually a fan of Newsom but I appreciate it that he didn't take that positive and spin it into another bashing of the President. TR95 is right. All I heard on the news in the past few months was about the impeachment instead of the Coronavirus. We didn't hear much about it so it seems like it came upon us all at once when it's actually been growing for several months.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:52 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
The only way to mitigate the spread now is by social distancing. That's why so many events are being canceled. This is not going to stop people from doing what they're going to do, of course. I know someone who's 84 years old who's flying from L.A. to North Carolina next week, and someone else the same age who is going on a cruise that departs on Saturday.

There is a reason that other countries took drastic measures to contain this. We're going to soon find out why, I have a feeling. Italy is under siege right now; their healthcare system is overwhelmed because no one took it seriously in the beginning. The U.S. is taking the same path, and we're probably not that far behind Italy's numbers - certainly no more than two or three weeks.

COVID-19 is hitting seniors harder than anyone else, but that doesn't mean it leaves people in their 30s and 40s completely alone. There have been previously healthy people in those age groups who end up on ventilators or die.

I feel like I'm on the Titanic right after the ship hit the iceberg. I know the ship is sinking, it doesn't seem real, and too many other people are in complete denial.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:08 AM

228 posts, read 161,859 times
It's just a flu, bro....no big deal.
This won't get reported in lying American MSM probably.

https://www.bfmtv.com/international/...s-1871772.html

In summary, Italian hospitals are so overwhelmed and lacking equipment they're forced to deny care to older patients and let them die, because they made a hard decision to give priority to younger patients with higher survival chance.

"Given the hourly increase in the flow of patients, the limited number of intensive therapy beds (less than 6,000 in public facilities) and the fact that many doctors and nurses are themselves infected with the virus and are in quarantine, we must give priority to young people and those who are more likely to survive".

It seems, however, that this painful horizon has already entered medical mores. A doctor from Cremona, for example, told the Catholic newspaper on condition of anonymity: "For the past few days we have had to choose who to intubate, between a 40-year-old and a 60-year-old patient who are both at risk of dying. It's atrocious and we mourn, but we don't have enough artificial ventilation equipment."

"We only send the youngest"
"But from now on, we only send the younger ones... The anaesthetists are asking us to stop referring older patients to them if they are going to be on a ventilator unnecessarily for 15 or 20 days. In the beginning, it was the over-80s. Now, given the deterioration and the seriousness of the situation, it is the over-70s and people with other pathologies. In the end, we save those for whom there is nothing more to do and who will die."

It's not going smoothly, of course. "Anesthesiologists advocate a pragmatic approach, saving those most likely to be saved. The Brescian Medical Association is opposed to this," said the Brescian doctor, objecting: "But in practice, the directors of hospitals with intensive therapy facilities refuse to take our oldest patients."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Old 03-11-2020, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
True. I think I'm more alarmed from reading about the stock market dropping, the cancellation of so many events, commercial flights being grounded, schools moving online (UCLA, Stanford, etc) warnings about simple things like going to a movie theater, etc. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to these other viruses, but I don't recall dire warnings on this level before.
I totally agree with you. Even here in AR. where we have not had a case yet: thank
god people or should we say the media is beginning to panic. All these cancellations are driving us crazy. Our granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner and planning on taking the family on a spring break cruise was told yesterday, if they go she will have to stay home for 2 weeks after they return and with no pay. Our box stores are out of TP and the water they do have is out of sight price wise. Heck the storms we are having here, at this minute is more scary to me than the treat of coronavirus.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The only way to mitigate the spread now is by social distancing. That's why so many events are being canceled. This is not going to stop people from doing what they're going to do, of course. I know someone who's 84 years old who's flying from L.A. to North Carolina next week, and someone else the same age who is going on a cruise that departs on Saturday.

There is a reason that other countries took drastic measures to contain this. We're going to soon find out why, I have a feeling. Italy is under siege right now; their healthcare system is overwhelmed because no one took it seriously in the beginning. The U.S. is taking the same path, and we're probably not that far behind Italy's numbers - certainly no more than two or three weeks.

COVID-19 is hitting seniors harder than anyone else, but that doesn't mean it leaves people in their 30s and 40s completely alone. There have been previously healthy people in those age groups who end up on ventilators or die.

I feel like I'm on the Titanic right after the ship hit the iceberg. I know the ship is sinking, it doesn't seem real, and too many other people are in complete denial.
I guess the majority of us are in complete denial then. Either that or we have people who are in total panic mode which is probably worse. As for your friends who are continuing to enjoy life even in their advanced years: good for them. Do you realize how many people who have cruised in the past 2 months and how few have gotten sick? I guess you don't!!!! The biggest problem with cruising is being stuck on a ship off the coast for 2 weeks because someone is sick That would be the worse part, not the fear of illness itself.

Lets see how bad things are in 2 weeks and then we can tell who is the panicy one and who is not going to let the possibility of something happening stop them from enjoying life. Heck I heard someone say yesterday we should even skip going to church.

Yes, there are healthy people who are still getting sick from the virus, how does that compare with healthy people who get the flu for instance?

Old 03-11-2020, 07:10 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
It doesn't help to read that New York is sending in the National Guard.

In New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo sent the National Guard to a suburban enclave northeast of New York City to prevent COVID-19 from infecting more people there, after 108 residents tested positive in recent days.

In Santa Clara, where California is experiencing its largest outbreak of the virus with 45 positive cases confirmed, health officials continued to direct residents not to congregate, following a ban on large events earlier this week.

In Sacramento, the county health officer announced there would be no more quarantines and minimal tracing to determine how those testing positive for the novel coronavirus contracted the deadly, fast-moving disease. Those with symptoms face only voluntary restrictions for mingling in the community.

“The cat is already out of the bag,” said Peter Beilenson, Sacramento County’s health director. “The community spread has already occurred.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...national-guard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California