Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 03:13 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
stay at home orders, mean just that. So you stay in your home in Az & I will stay in mine.

Wrong, nowhere does it say you can't travel.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hmmm, check your source ... because it was 12,500 fatalities, not 18,000

Still nothing to sneeze at ... but ... accuracy has value.
Difference with Covid is 80% who die are 65 and above. See current CDC stats which still show a little under 5k deaths. With H1N1, 80% of deaths were under 65. Let’s also not forget over 50% of Covid deaths are in NY/NJ.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

Old 04-11-2020, 03:37 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Difference with Covid is 80% who die are 65 and above. See current CDC stats which still show a little under 5k deaths. With H1N1, 80% of deaths were under 65. Let’s also not forget over 50% of Covid deaths are in NY/NJ.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

1. Are you suggesting people over 65 are an insignificant population? Expendable?

2. The US deaths are as of today over 20,000 - not 5,000

3. 50% of the deaths being in NY & NJ means as of today there are 10,000 in other states ....

AND, MOST SIGNIFICANTLY:

4. We haven’t even reached ½ of what the final tally will be. Likely not even a ⅓ of the way.

So, wtf?

Old 04-11-2020, 03:48 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
New list:

Day 17 of Self-Isolation (Feels like a 100)

You know if you keep a glass of wine in each hand you can't
accidentally touch your face.

I am starting to understand why pets try to run out of the house when
the door opens.

Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep
washing our hands???

I'm so excited; it's time to take the garbage out.
I wonder what I should wear?

You think it's bad now?
In 20 years our country will be run by people home schooled by day drinkers

Your Quarantine name is the last thing you ate and your high school mascot.
Me? Licorice Warrior

Day 7 at home and the dog is looking at me like, "See? This is why I
chew the furniture."

Home schooling question: Does having your children fix you mixed
cocktails count as a chemistry lesson

Where's your husband?....In the garden. I didn't see him.
You just need to dig a little.

My Mom always told me I wouldn't accomplish anything by laying in the
bed all day, but look at me now! I'm saving the world!

If you get an email with the subject "Knock Knock" don't open it.
It's a Jehovah Witness working from home.

I swear my fridge just said: "what the hell do you want now?"

Coronavirus has turned us all into dogs.
We roam the house all day looking for food.
We're told "no" if we get too close to strangers.
And we get really excited about car rides.

If anyone owes you money, go to their house now. They should be home.

Homeschooling Day #3: they all graduated. #Done.

I'm giving up drinking for a month.
Sorry, punctuation typo.
I'm giving up. Drinking for a month.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:

1. Are you suggesting people over 65 are an insignificant population? Expendable?

2. The US deaths are as of today over 20,000 - not 5,000

3. 50% of the deaths being in NY & NJ means as of today there are 10,000 in other states ....

AND, MOST SIGNIFICANTLY:

4. We haven’t even reached ½ of what the final tally will be. Likely not even a ⅓ of the way.

So, wtf?
No, not in the least bit. I’m almost 55 so I wouldn’t think like that. I also prefaced the CDC is only at 5k deaths right now so they’re far behind. How about the 152k to 575k deaths worldwide from H1N1? I’m saying while Covid is dangerous, many many deaths are hitting the older crowd and those with underlying health conditions. I’m not minimizing it, just comparing since there has been so much focus on this one. Also, while we have all these distancing rules, while I believe they are working there’s so much that doesn’t make sense. For instance, I’ve been to the grocery store twice since 3/20, and my wife has gone twice. All times, I’d say over 80% of those in the store are people 65 and above. So wtf as you say? Why, if they are such at risk are they out there walking around. Most only have a few items in their cart and I’m not talking items that are so essential.

My kid played tennis with his brother up until they closed parks a couple weeks ago. Guess who was the majority out there playing with friends and congregating and not abiding by the 6 foot distance rules. You got it a bunch of old men 70 and above. So I ask wtf are they doing out and congregating?

I had to go to a bank branch yesterday because they required us to go in to reactivate our 17 year old’s custodian account. They had a person at the door making sure people maintained the 6 foot distance. But, then as you go to the teller windows you are literally two feet away from a customer on my right and on my left. So again, I question wtf? That’s all I’m saying just like you questioning wtf would some random person on an isolated road be driving with a mask? Again, I question all this as everyone should. Again, as I said over 50% of deaths are in NY/NJ, so wtf?

You know so confidently that we are not even halfway to the deaths? And how are you so certain? No one knows even the so-called experts so I will continue to question if we can’t have an open economy with some rules in place such as restaurants, etc just with reducing capacity if it makes financial sense for them to open up.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
New list:

Day 17 of Self-Isolation (Feels like a 100)

You know if you keep a glass of wine in each hand you can't
accidentally touch your face.

I am starting to understand why pets try to run out of the house when
the door opens.

Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep
washing our hands???

I'm so excited; it's time to take the garbage out.
I wonder what I should wear?

You think it's bad now?
In 20 years our country will be run by people home schooled by day drinkers

Your Quarantine name is the last thing you ate and your high school mascot.
Me? Licorice Warrior

Day 7 at home and the dog is looking at me like, "See? This is why I
chew the furniture."

Home schooling question: Does having your children fix you mixed
cocktails count as a chemistry lesson

Where's your husband?....In the garden. I didn't see him.
You just need to dig a little.

My Mom always told me I wouldn't accomplish anything by laying in the
bed all day, but look at me now! I'm saving the world!

If you get an email with the subject "Knock Knock" don't open it.
It's a Jehovah Witness working from home.

I swear my fridge just said: "what the hell do you want now?"

Coronavirus has turned us all into dogs.
We roam the house all day looking for food.
We're told "no" if we get too close to strangers.
And we get really excited about car rides.

If anyone owes you money, go to their house now. They should be home.

Homeschooling Day #3: they all graduated. #Done.

I'm giving up drinking for a month.
Sorry, punctuation typo.
I'm giving up. Drinking for a month.
Ok, I enjoyed this. A little levity is good!

Old 04-11-2020, 04:15 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ovid-19-model/

Old 04-11-2020, 04:15 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
No, not in the least bit. I’m almost 55 so I wouldn’t think like that. I also prefaced the CDC is only at 5k deaths right now so they’re far behind. How about the 152k to 575k deaths worldwide from H1N1? I’m saying while Covid is dangerous, many many deaths are hitting the older crowd and those with underlying health conditions. I’m not minimizing it, just comparing since there has been so much focus on this one. Also, while we have all these distancing rules, while I believe they are working there’s so much that doesn’t make sense. For instance, I’ve been to the grocery store twice since 3/20, and my wife has gone twice. All times, I’d say over 80% of those in the store are people 65 and above. So wtf as you say? Why, if they are such at risk are they out there walking around. Most only have a few items in their cart and I’m not talking items that are so essential.

My kid played tennis with his brother up until they closed parks a couple weeks ago. Guess who was the majority out there playing with friends and congregating and not abiding by the 6 foot distance rules. You got it a bunch of old men 70 and above. So I ask wtf are they doing out and congregating?

I had to go to a bank branch yesterday because they required us to go in to reactivate our 17 year old’s custodian account. They had a person at the door making sure people maintained the 6 foot distance. But, then as you go to the teller windows you are literally two feet away from a customer on my right and on my left. So again, I question wtf? That’s all I’m saying just like you questioning wtf would some random person on an isolated road be driving with a mask? Again, I question all this as everyone should. Again, as I said over 50% of deaths are in NY/NJ, so wtf?

You know so confidently that we are not even halfway to the deaths? And how are you so certain? No one knows even the so-called experts so I will continue to question if we can’t have an open economy with some rules in place such as restaurants, etc just with reducing capacity if it makes financial sense for them to open up.
We saw the same thing at a store yesterday. Distancing enforced outside and business as usual inside.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
We saw the same thing at a store yesterday. Distancing enforced outside and business as usual inside.
And that to me is the crux of the problem. Not a perfect correlation with the saying penny wise and pound foolish, but in a way it kind of is. How pissed would you be if you get it after following all these rules and someone in the store sneezes by you at a couple feet away? I’d be pissed because we’re going to great lengths, but one little action can negate the whole thing.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:55 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Wrong, nowhere does it say you can't travel.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...-place-orders/

(granted, they traveled out their area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California