Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 11:52 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Good morning TR

1. Don’t understand why - even with your “prefacing” the CDC was “behind” - you would toss that grossly “behind” figure into the conversation ... especially given you are clearly an intelligent person and the current real statistics are instantly available.

2. What about “ the 152k to 575k deaths worldwide from H1N1”? What does that figure have to do with anything in discussion?

3. Thanks for clarifying that your comments regarding the majority of fatalities being seniors wasn’t intended to minimize that fact. I don’t see any other point to making the comment but trust your sincerity.

4. Wtf? - about your personal observations that it’s seniors who are being least responsive to the isolation guidelines? Not sure that is even slightly true beyond your observation. I know numerous seniors who aren’t going out at all, relying instead on family to bring supplies and support. That said, so what, either way?

5. In general I agree with you that there’s a lot of head scratching disparities going on. Some of it is amusing, some irritating

6. How do I know we haven‘t hit ½ the deaths? Any reasonable survey of the course of the virus internationally will place the US trajectory in category with the countries hardest hit so far. You understand perfectly well that “Flattening the curve” doesn’t end the fatalities. We have 5x and 6x the population of countries like Italy and Spain and those countries are where in this process?

I also would guess that we are NOT going to lose the numbers in the hundreds of thousands originally broadcast in projections. But we’re zooming right past where we were 2 days ago, and months of flat then decline to go before this is over.

Glad you enjoyed the humor posted after.
Good morning TM. I used the CDC because that will be the most accurate, and while there are snipets of information about the ages of deaths out there, I’m not going to rely on a newspaper stating the ages of the deaths. But, most back up that 80% of the deaths are 65+. The reason for making the comment is that 80% of deaths from H1N1 were under 65, so this is hitting populations entirely differently, as well as those with underlying conditions. I’m not advocating for what Sweden is doing given the size of our population, but at some point, things need to start being opened. Again, especially because it’s hitting 65+ much more. If I was 65, there’d really no reason for me to be going out. I’d be retired and people should be able to work and open their restaurants and retail businesses, maybe with some limitations.

Citing the 152k to 575k deaths has a lot to do with the conversation. People seem to negate that fact. It’s nothing to sneeze at as you say. I haven’t looked into it, but why did the US only get hit with between 12,500 to 18k deaths, and the world had somewhere in the hundreds of thousands when it originated in Mexico and the first US case was around SD?

I agree we probably have a ways to go to flatten and then decline. If the US does follow Italy and Spain, then we’d be projected to hit over 100k deaths based on percentage of population. I hope you’re wrong, and we don’t have even double the 20k deaths, and it’s not months or at least it ends up being just 2 months from today. We’ll find out I guess.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:28 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I wish that was true unfortunately it's not. I can tell you for example not all ATM's have been next to them. Yes some do and i use them but i seen stores and atm's not have them outside. It's stupid but that is reality.
Do you go to the ATM everyday or something? Instead, use your cards. If handling cash makes you that uneasy, don't handle it. You can't use cash at Costco, either. Unless you're hitting Burger King's drive-thru with amazing regularity, what you're doing is akin to a teenager in full idgaf mode.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:36 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Do you go to the ATM everyday or something? Instead, use your cards. If handling cash makes you that uneasy, don't handle it. You can't use cash at Costco, either. Unless you're hitting Burger King's drive-thru with amazing regularity, what you're doing is akin to a teenager in full idgaf mode.
You can't use cash at Costco? Want to post your source? Yes i have gone to fast food recently and will continue doing so. 99.9% of all business accept cash.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
You can't use cash at Costco? Want to post your source? Yes i have gone to fast food recently and will continue doing so. 99.9% of all business accept cash.
Naturally, I meant to write "You don't have to use cash at Costco."

My point was that you don't have to use cash anywhere at all, especially if that leads to your littering the ground repeatedly with a pair of plastic gloves you use for one transaction.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:45 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I went to the market today--hadn't been there in a week--and the checker kindly told me that they were no longer allowed to handle customers' recyclable bags, but that customers could bag their own groceries with them.
Same, but I liked it. A cashier of a grocery store was my first real job when I was 16. I always appreciated when people would help out and bag their groceries during the process. 16-year old llovellevellowll would often slide down an item or two for them without typing in the price to show my appreciation.

For those that are elderly or have injuries, I completely understand, but for those that are able, I think everyone should bag their own groceries while talking with the cashier. It can be a really neat communal experience -- both working together in harmony and getting to know one another... and there's the old hippy stoner llowllevellowll. Haha!

Old 04-12-2020, 04:53 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Naturally, I meant to write "You don't have to use cash at Costco."

My point was that you don't have to use cash anywhere at all, especially if that leads to your littering the ground repeatedly with a pair of plastic gloves you use for one transaction.
Costco only accepts Visa and cash. Unless you person got Visa credit card/debit card yes only other choice is cash.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:05 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Same, but I liked it. A cashier of a grocery store was my first real job when I was 16. I always appreciated when people would help out and bag their groceries during the process.
I normally wouldn't mind it, either, but when you've got gloves and a face mask on, have to use the debit machine and it doesn't always "take" with plastic covered fingers, it's harder to bag your groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
16-year old llovellevellowll would often slide down an item or two for them without typing in the price to show my appreciation.
LOL. I should have shopped at your store!

Old 04-12-2020, 05:47 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
It's a good thing strip clubs were not deemed "essential businesses", because putting that money in there with plastic gloves on would be like kissing your sister through a screen door -- just doesn't feel right.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Costco only accepts Visa and cash. Unless you person got Visa credit card/debit card yes only other choice is cash.
Excuses, excuses, as they say.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:00 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Not true. Visa is the only credit card they take, but they take all debit cards regardless of the logo. For those who still use them, they also takes checks. My mom still uses them there, lol.

If you’re completely off the grid you can always buy a cash card from them and load it up so you don’t have to use cash each transaction. Or better yet have a friend buy you one so you don’t need a membership. They won’t stop you from entering if you have one. Same goes for buying alcohol and getting prescriptions filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California