Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 09:23 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
So Forbes and a number of other sources stating this are incorrect, Mutt? I'm surprised at their journalists for publishing such information.

(On second thought, I'm sorry to say that right now, I don't care as much about Michigan, and don't know how we got derailed on to that subject, so you don't need to answer.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Just let it be, CA4Now. There's no disputing the great authority on CD.
Now friends, gaining and sharing accurate information is the goal and should be both interesting and hopefully fun, yes?

The explanation is consistent between Forbes and the other links I provided. And this, I believe, as TR95 also expressed, is relevant to all states, including California.

Where to start this dissection? Hm ...

First, Forbes has reported accurately, but without fully fleshing out the story and context. Whitmer, as have other governors including Newsom in California, issued an ‘executive order’ that generally defined “essential” and “non-essential” businesses. Few businesses were parsed out specifically as “non-essential” ... nurseries certainly were not. Nor were “tomato seeds” specified anywhere as “non-essential” products. Neither tomato seeds nor any other gardening products are specified anywhere in the governor’s order. Nor has personal gardening activity by homeowners been restricted. You can read Whitmer’s Executive Order here for yourselves:

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9...2626--,00.html

However, Forbes correctly reports that: all stores larger than 50,000-square feet [are directed] to cordon off their garden centers and plant nurseries, blocking customers from shopping in those sections through April 30.
Quote:
Last week, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer ordered all stores larger than 50,000-square feet to cordon off their garden centers and plant nurseries, blocking customers from shopping in those sections through April 30. “If you're not buying food or medicine or other essential items, you should not be going to the store,” Whitmer said when announcing her order.
The above does NOT ban the sale of tomato seeds, or similar, or stop gardening. People can still buy seeds and supplies on-line and in certain other stores that remain open, such as many grocery and drug stores and hardware stores - unless those stores are big box: “50,000 sq ft stores” that have nursery departments ... in which cases those stores (such as Home Depot and Lowes) are directed to close those nursery departments. Why? To reduce congregate non-essential shopping / mingling.

Now then, as to WHY the big Donnybrook about this:
Understandably, the Michigan Greenhouse Growers Council objected. They had their legal team send out letters to governor and to the press, lobbying for exception.

Next, predictably, we find professional ideologist activists sensing and seizing opportunity to run a campaign against their opposition: in this case liberal governor Whitmer in a swing state in a national election year. This is not surprising. This is what activists of all stripes and persuasions DO.

Without disguising themselves at all, certain libertarian and conservative organizations created PR campaigns and organized public protests. They were open about it. They labeled their support as conservative group based.

The “Institute for Justice” filed a lawsuit against the state. (The Institute for Justice (IJ) is a non-profit libertarian public interest law firm in the United States.[3][4][5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_for_Justice)

The “Michigan Conservative Coalition” organized and promoted the rally march at the state capitol.

And there are more accusations of backing by other conservative groups ... but enough said. It all, predictably, appeals to a certain electorate mindset - who jumped at the opportunity to spread the rumors inaccurately on social media. Just like the spread of the virus itself.

Point being: this is the age we live in. Activism is a major game. Public opinion campaigns are slick and pernicious and pervasive.

Tomato seeds are not banned for sale. They are pawns in a PR campaign.

Garden away!

Old 04-21-2020, 10:19 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE...y-finds-625333

I would keep in mind there may be this many strains. A peer review of this research is needed I think

Old 04-21-2020, 10:59 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Now friends, gaining and sharing accurate information is the goal and should be both interesting and hopefully fun, yes?

The explanation is consistent between Forbes and the other links I provided. And this, I believe, as TR95 also expressed, is relevant to all states, including California.

First, Forbes has reported accurately, but without fully fleshing out the story and context. Whitmer, as have other governors including Newsom in California, issued an ‘executive order’ that generally defined “essential” and “non-essential” businesses. Few businesses were parsed out specifically as “non-essential” ... nurseries certainly were not. Nor were “tomato seeds” specified anywhere as “non-essential” products. Neither tomato seeds nor any other gardening products are specified anywhere in the governor’s order. Nor has personal gardening activity by homeowners been restricted. You can read Whitmer’s Executive Order here for yourselves:

However, Forbes correctly reports that: all stores larger than 50,000-square feet [are directed] to cordon off their garden centers and plant nurseries, blocking customers from shopping in those sections through April 30.

The above does NOT ban the sale of tomato seeds, or similar, or stop gardening. People can still buy seeds and supplies on-line and in certain other stores that remain open, such as many grocery and drug stores and hardware stores - unless those stores are big box: “50,000 sq ft stores” that have nursery departments ... in which cases those stores (such as Home Depot and Lowes) are directed to close those nursery departments. Why? To reduce congregate non-essential shopping / mingling.

Understandably, the Michigan Greenhouse Growers Council objected. They had their legal team send out letters to governor and to the press, lobbying for exception.

Next, predictably, we find professional ideologist activists sensing and seizing opportunity to run a campaign against their opposition: in this case liberal governor Whitmer in a swing state in a national election year. This is not surprising. This is what activists of all stripes and persuasions DO.

Without disguising themselves at all, certain libertarian and conservative organizations created PR campaigns and organized public protests. They were open about it. They labeled their support as conservative group based.

The “Institute for Justice” filed a lawsuit against the state. (The Institute for Justice (IJ) is a non-profit libertarian public interest law firm in the United States.[3][4][5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_for_Justice)

The “Michigan Conservative Coalition” organized and promoted the rally march at the state capitol.

And there are more accusations of backing by other conservative groups ... but enough said. It all, predictably, appeals to a certain electorate mindset - who jumped at the opportunity to spread the rumors inaccurately on social media. Just like the spread of the virus itself.

Point being: this is the age we live in. Activism is a major game. Public opinion campaigns are slick and pernicious and pervasive.

Garden away!
All you had to say was I was wrong buying seeds is banned in Michigan stores.

I know someone who lives on a lake there and she confirmed the governor is bat shet crazy. People are not even allowed to go out on a boat with a motor on her lake.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
All you had to say was I was wrong buying seeds is banned in Michigan stores.

I know someone who lives on a lake there and she confirmed the governor is bat shet crazy. People are not even allowed to go out on a boat with a motor on her lake.
Finper, none of my response was in response to you. There were several other references to Michigan by various posters.

And I also know people in Michigan (it is family territory for me and I was partially raised there). They don’t have any problem with the governor. Given your political leanings, it fits that people you know would find Whitmer “bat sh*t crazy”. But the facts are, the vast majority agree with her. Polls show, in fact, that 90% of this country, including a majority of Trump supporters, do NOT object to the restrictions put in place by their governors ... and do NOT want the shut downs ended too soon.

The issue with motor boats vs human powered (paddled, canoes)j boats IS true, however. So what?

Old 04-21-2020, 11:48 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
Quote:

Garden away!
Good post.

BTW, you know you're on target when you start getting a lot of flak.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Good post.

BTW, you know you're on target when you start getting a lot of flak.
Proper metaphor. Had an uncle shot down over Germany and served in POW camp for a year ... inspired me to become an airman (Navy) in my Vietnam service ... which specialized in what’s called RESCAP and S&R. RESCAP involves basically finding downed pilots and then trolling around to draw and suppress fire from forces seeking to capture the pilot ... until choppers came to lift out.

So yes, I am often in familiar territory

Old 04-21-2020, 12:12 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Finper, none of my response was in response to you. There were several other references to Michigan by various posters.

And I also know people in Michigan (it is family territory for me and I was partially raised there). They don’t have any problem with the governor. Given your political leanings, it fits that people you know would find Whitmer “bat sh*t crazy”. But the facts are, the vast majority agree with her. Polls show, in fact, that 90% of this country, including a majority of Trump supporters, do NOT object to the restrictions put in place by their governors ... and do NOT want the shut downs ended too soon.

The issue with motor boats vs human powered (paddled, canoes)j boats IS true, however. So what?
So what is why? Why is she so controlling a resident isn’t even allowed to get some fresh air and go fish on a lake? It makes no sense and people are rightfully rebelling.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:50 PM

this is allowed "To engage in outdoor activity, including walking, hiking, running, cycling, or any other recreational activity consistent with remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual’s household."

I don't think Whitmer is in a position to micro manage how every jurisdiction in her state interprets & implements her EO

Last edited by tikkasf; 04-21-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-21-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So what is why? Why is she so controlling a resident isn’t even allowed to get some fresh air and go fish on a lake? It makes no sense and people are rightfully rebelling.
Not many people are “rebelling”. It doesn’t take many people per capita to make a sensational scene ... which media thrive on selling to readers / viewers. Clever professional activists know this and create powerful appearing protest venues.

I have linked several recent polls that show as much as 90% of the country’s population, including Michigan, approve of the shut-downs even though we are all living with related frustrations.

Whitmer is no more “controlling” than any other COVID 19 hot spot state governors. As tikkasf just correctly observed, Whitmer’s NOT micro-managing peoples’ lives. She is issuing broadly defined, generalized directives to effect community safety. Then activists with opposing agendas create narratives to depict the directives as unconstitutional, micro-management.

You can buy and plant tomato seeds in Michigan. You can go fishing on lakes in Michigan in your canoe or row boat. People have been told to stay at home as much as possible except for essential travel where people can practice social distancing.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Not many people are “rebelling”. It doesn’t take many people per capita to make a sensational scene ... which media thrive on selling to readers / viewers. Clever professional activists know this and create powerful appearing protest venues.

I have linked several recent polls that show as much as 90% of the country’s population, including Michigan, approve of the shut-downs even though we are all living with related frustrations.

Whitmer is no more “controlling” than any other COVID 19 hot spot state governors. As tikkasf just correctly observed, Whitmer’s NOT micro-managing peoples’ lives. She is issuing broadly defined, generalized directives to effect community safety. Then activists with opposing agendas create narratives to depict the directives as unconstitutional, micro-management.

You can buy and plant tomato seeds in Michigan. You can go fishing on lakes in Michigan in your canoe or row boat. People have been told to stay at home as much as possible except for essential travel where people can practice social distancing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/o...-michigan.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California