Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 04:15 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Doctor from Western Europe is giving it like it is (to the reckless ignoramuses):
https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafr...pinion-1491797

Unafraid of the Coronavirus Pandemic? Good for You. Now Stop Killing People

Watching you Americans (and you, Brits) in these still-early days of the coronavirus pandemic is like watching a familiar horror movie, where the protagonists, yet again, split into pairs or decide to take a tour of a dark basement. The real-life versions of this behavior are pretending this is just a flu; keeping schools open; following through with your holiday travel plans, and going into the office daily. This is what we did in Italy.

Most of my childhood friends are now doctors working in north Italy. In Milan, in Bergamo, in Padua, they are having to choose between intubating a 40-year-old with two kids, a 40-year old who is fit and healthy with no co-morbidities, and a 60-year-old with high blood pressure, because they don't have enough beds. In the hallway, meanwhile, there are another 15 people waiting who are already hardly breathing and need oxygen.

Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu.
Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.
An Italian I know says the Italians are overly dramatic. I see that’s she’s correct.

If I feel fine, I’m going out. If I feel sick, I’ll stay home. End of story.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:21 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the stock market. It was due for another correction. This time, the media is grabbing onto any negative thing they can and inflating it.
Yeek! Today we just experienced the biggest market drop since 1987. I can't stand to look.

Stocks dive on coronavirus fears. It’s their worst day since 1987:
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ancial-markets

Old 03-12-2020, 04:26 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yeek! Today we just experienced the biggest market drop since 1987. I can't stand to look.

It’s paper loss at this point. If you’re able, leave it in. I remember people saying they lost 1/3 of their 401k in 2008 and gained it back a couple of years later.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:31 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Yup, pretty bad day on Wall Street again today. As tempting as it is to sell, I won't because I know eventually when all the panic passes, it will rise again. This comes from watching what happened in the last recession. I try not to think about how much I could have today had I jumped in hard back in 2008. I read this morning that we are officially in a bear market. And, Mike is right. Don't panic. It will rise again.

How are you doing, otherwise? Health okay? I did as suggested and wiped down all my doorknobs, faucet handles and even inside the car; steering wheel, gearshift knob, console, seats, door handles. Everything. I'm also not venturing out, not because I think I might be a carrier but because I can't be sure of anyone else out there. It's okay, though. I have plenty of projects around here to keep me busy.

Hang in there, CA4Now.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:50 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
I still go out, I have to, and I would go nutzo if I stayed inside, but I am reasonably cautious.

If anyone is interested, you can purchase Gary Null's webinar, "Digital Recording of LIVE Webinar with Dr. Gary Null: Tips To Help Minimize Exposure to the Coronavirus," for $20.00 at https://www.garysvitamincloset.com/p...he-coronavirus, or just follow a link from prn/fm.com.

Richard Gelb (Virologist?) and Dr. Roy Spitzer (Microbiologist and chemist) also contributed to the webinar. It's FULL of very practical information on topics like how to fly, how to handle money, how to shop, how to clean produce, how to build your immune system, how to handle Amazon packages, etc., so take notes.

Gary Null does add that there is no reason to panic.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It’s paper loss at this point. If you’re able, leave it in. I remember people saying they lost 1/3 of their 401k in 2008 and gained it back a couple of years later.
Yeah, today was down 10% and 1987 was a whopping 22% decline, a big difference. Now, it's down 27% since the peak just 3 weeks ago.

At this point, since inauguration in Jan 2017, the S&P is only up 9%. So Trump might be done and Biden will win. Not that I'm sad about it, just probably likely to happen now.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:17 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Losing 1/3 would have been lucky, since market was down about 50% in 2008-2009. 50% as well after 9/11, so I wouldn't be surprised this gets worse before it gets better. Everything is getting canceled, and I still can't wrap my arms around the fact the swine flu killed 12,000 and affected 60M in the US, and we are having this hysteria.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:30 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
Disneyland is closed.
the funny thing is.... even after shutting down everything till the end of the month, once everything opens up again, people will resume being infected

covid19 is not that bad, symptom-wise. I have it right now. It's like a mild-moderate flu.

We should just spread it around and self-quarantine as necessary, not completely shut down the economy because of it.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:35 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Sorry to hear you have it. Take care and speedy recovery.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:36 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post

...Coronavirus mortality rate (3.4%)

]

that's inaccurate. There are millions more covid cases that are going unreported, so mortality rate is much much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California