Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 12:17 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,067 times

Advertisements

I see a bulge. Sure, that's not Dennis Rodman...Haha, Coming up with some good ones, Exitus!

Old 05-07-2020, 01:49 PM

460 posts, read 232,236 times
US along with Western Europe have the highest COVID death rates per-capita: hundreds of times higher than in both impoverished countries and in developed countries such as Australia or New Zealand.
Even in the best cases, the deaths per capita are worse in these wealthiest countries by the dozens of times.
One could say that some governments are lying about their numbers, but this definitely can't be said about all, such as EU members Greece or Poland, or Australia, etc, who aren't likely to skew their numbers. Very clearly, the virus had avoided hitting most of the planet too hard but hit US/Western Europe the worst.

One can sort by "deaths per million" to see the extent of the situation:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/

Leading countries, COVID deaths per million:

Belgium 730.08
Spain 553.4
Italy 491.2
United Kingdom 452.35
France 384.92
Netherlands 302.01
Sweden 288.81
Ireland 283.3
United States 224.11
Switzerland 211.94
Canada 117.81
Portugal 105.92

Middle cohort:

Norway 40.64
Moldova 40.33
Hungary 39.21
Dominican Republic 34.06
Puerto Rico 30.98
Serbia 29.07
Israel 26.9
Bosnia and Herzegovina 25.87
Czechia 24.66
Mexico 21.43
Croatia 20.79
Poland 19.3
Lithuania 17.21
Chile 15
Kosovo 14.09
Greece 13.7
Armenia 13.55
Cyprus 12.61
Bulgaria 11.96
Belarus 11.81

And some from the lowest cohort - which includes popular with tourists, high population density, impoverished, wealthy, bordering with China, EU member, etc:

Philippines 6.17
South Korea 4.96
Egypt 4.77
Slovakia 4.59
Japan 4.39
New Zealand 4.3
Australia 3.88
Singapore 3.55
China 3.33
Jamaica 3.07
South Africa 2.65
Pakistan 2.66
Paraguay 1.44
India 1.32
Guatemala 1.22
Costa Rica 1.2

Old 05-07-2020, 03:02 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Seems all the freezers on the planet are sold out. Don't panic, people! You can always buy an extra refrigerator. Just make sure it has a pretty good size freezer and you'll all your bases covered. First it was toilet paper, then candy and now freezers. Can't wait to see what's next on the hoarders' list.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Seems all the freezers on the planet are sold out. Don't panic, people! You can always buy an extra refrigerator. Just make sure it has a pretty good size freezer and you'll all your bases covered. First it was toilet paper, then candy and now freezers. Can't wait to see what's next on the hoarders' list.
Seriously? I had no idea when did the run on freezers start?

Old 05-07-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Apparently, when news of the meat processing plants shutting down. Color me surprised too.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:47 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
It’s meat here. Costco implemented a three pack of fresh meat per member and one frozen pack of meat. We went in last week and the meat case was all cheese. The only thing left was steaks and organic grass fed ground beef. The only thing I can think of is that the hoarders don’t care about grass fed and don’t want expensive cuts.

I’m willing to bet if there was a news story about a tortilla chip factory that had a bunch of workers who tested positive, there’d be a run on tortilla chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Where else can they store all the hoarded meat?

Old 05-07-2020, 03:54 PM

Okay, it's no secret that I was never a huge fan of our governor but he hasn't done bad at trying his best to keep people safe and well. I'm pretty flexible so I'm not angry with him for it. It's an incredibly hard thing to make decisions that are fair to everyone and considering we have such a diverse group in this state, naturally some will be okay with his decision while others see him as controlling. I fully understand that. I just hope he doesn't do what the governor of New York is doing.

Weeks ago, the NY governor asked for help from those working in the health care industry. He needed all hands on deck and so many from all areas of the country answered his call. Now, he says all those people who came to help will have to pay New York state taxes for their wages. They probably came from states where the tax rate is lower. Talk about a slap in the face. He's as bad as his slimy brother.

Is this guy for real?????

Old 05-07-2020, 04:01 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Okay, it's no secret that I was never a huge fan of our governor but he hasn't done bad at trying his best to keep people safe and well. I'm pretty flexible so I'm not angry with him for it. It's an incredibly hard thing to make decisions that are fair to everyone and considering we have such a diverse group in this state, naturally some will be okay with his decision while others see him as controlling. I fully understand that. I just hope he doesn't do what the governor of New York is doing.

Weeks ago, the NY governor asked for help from those working in the health care industry. He needed all hands on deck and so many from all areas of the country answered his call. Now, he says all those people who came to help will have to pay New York state taxes for their wages. They probably came from states where the tax rate is lower. Talk about a slap in the face. He's as bad as his slimy brother.

Is this guy for real?????
Unbelievable. They’ll know better next time.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It’s meat here. Costco implemented a three pack of fresh meat per member and one frozen pack of meat. We went in last week and the meat case was all cheese. The only thing left was steaks and organic grass fed ground beef. The only thing I can think of is that the hoarders don’t care about grass fed and don’t want expensive cuts.

I’m willing to bet if there was a news story about a tortilla chip factory that had a bunch of workers who tested positive, there’d be a run on tortilla chips.
I'm in favor of limiting the amount of meat one can purchase. I don't want to see the same thing happen with meat as did with TP. It's ridiculous. People are absolutely nuts and you're right. If tortilla chips were in jeopardy, they'd be stocking up on that.

I'm almost a little embarrassed to say this but yesterday I scored filet mignon for 9.99/lb. Normally, that cut (in my area) goes for no less than $15/lb. I bought a package containing three steaks that weighed close to 8 oz each. I cut them in half, giving me six, wrapped them all in freezer paper, and popped them into the freezer. I don't each much meat but I do eat meat and nothing is better than a filet mignon, except maybe a filet mignon you got at a great price.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Unbelievable. They’ll know better next time.
Ya know, I don't even know what to say about that guy. I mean, these people uprooted their lives, left their families to help out and this is what he does? Truly, there are no words. Well, there are words but if I said them, I'd be banned from CD for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California