Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 04:45 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Dr. Sara Cody, the Santa Clara County health officer, is saying that California is reopening too quickly. There should be 14 days minimum between stage 1 and stage 2, and 21 days would be better. The idea is to see if people are complying (masks, social distancing, etc.) before you throw open the doors to more activity.

By the way, if anyone is interested in her credentials here they are from Wikipedia: "Cody graduated from Stanford University, receiving a degree in human biology, and subsequently completing her Doctor of Medicine at Yale School of Medicine. Following an internship and residency in internal medicine at Stanford University Medical Center, Cody completed a two-year fellowship in epidemiology and public health, as an Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) officer with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

This is a doctor and scientist who knows what she's talking about. I realize that no one is going to listen to her. Instead it's, "Damn the torpedoes; full speed ahead!" but since it's pretty obvious now that the government at all levels cares more about our economy than our individual health, we're all responsible for protecting and taking care of ourselves and our families more than ever before. Just because your hairdresser is open for business doesn't mean it's a great idea for you to visit.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...irus-reopening
Look at the first slides in Newsome's original reopening CA plan. They said "Until immunity is achieved" which is basically just plainly stating that the plan is now modified herd immunity.

If some portion of the population wears masks and social distances, maybe we can keep the Rt below 1.3. That has the following effect:

1. Hospitals don't get overwhelmed.
2. The "wave" crests with just 30-40% of the population infected (as opposed to 70-80% at an unmodified COVID-19 R0 > 2.0)
3. The wave crests in 150 days or less.

Newsome wants to short-circuit the optics of protesters in Sacramento, so he will back down from any confrontation by giving just enough to keep people from taking up "arms" like they did in MI.

Almost everything is guidelines that will never be enforced at the state level. He's relying on the majority of Californians being smart enough to bias their activities toward the guidelines, and giving enough ground that the dip****s who think the whole thing is a hoax, don't have anything to "resist" against.

He's also allowing the smarter/wealthier/denser regions to reopen more slowly while the stupider/poorer/more rural regions get burned. What does he care if the virus tears through a NorCal community that was agitating against him a month ago? It's actually a huge benefit. He gets to have his cake and eat it too. He can hold up his hands and say "Hey, I warned you about packing churches, bars, and nail salons. You made your bed."

This dude is a shrewd political operator. At the same time, he's giving everyone the "freedom" they want. The only ammo he's giving his detractors to ***** about are letting criminals out of prison and give aways to illegals and bums. And nobody cares all that much.

The only pitfall he's dancing around is that the rapid reopening hits an Rt > 1.4 and the virus kills a huge slew of Californians because of the reopening. However, in that case, he will likely be able to point at states that reopened faster and claim, even if it was bad, we did a lot better than, say, Texas or Florida.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
He's also allowing the smarter/wealthier/denser regions to reopen more slowly while the stupider/poorer/more rural regions get burned. What does he care if the virus tears through a NorCal community that was agitating against him a month ago? It's actually a huge benefit. He gets to have his cake and eat it too. He can hold up his hands and say "Hey, I warned you about packing churches, bars, and nail salons. You made your bed."
I don't think any of his plans are that sinister. He, advised by public health officials, are just trying to slow the transmission of the virus.

Coronavirus cases spiked after these counties reopened. Now, officials are scaling back:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-scaling-back

Old 05-28-2020, 07:35 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't think any of his plans are that sinister. He, advised by public health officials, are just trying to slow the transmission of the virus.

Coronavirus cases spiked after these counties reopened. Now, officials are scaling back:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-scaling-back
We can't live in lock down despite some wanting to follow only scientist base guidelines. Rest of the country is opening up and same thing should be done in California.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:02 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
We can't live in lock down despite some wanting to follow only scientist base guidelines. Rest of the country is opening up and same thing should be done in California.

Opening up is what has been happening in CA. It's being done in steps and some counties are going slower in the reopening process then others.......that is the way it should be, I think.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:54 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
It’s interesting how especially the blue states already act like we already have a socialized health care system government funded and vulnerable to being “taxed” to death by COVID19 just like those other countries that went full lockdown, when in fact many hospitals are closing down due to lack of patients doctors and nurses are getting furloughed. It appears the one size fit all approach in a globalized world may not be suitable for all areas and all situations.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:01 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Opening up is what has been happening in CA. It's being done in steps and some counties are going slower in the reopening process then others.......that is the way it should be, I think.
Exactly, given the number of daily confirmed cases and deaths here. It's not as if we're Montana or Alaska.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:38 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
No evidence that masks do a thing.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:37 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Just when we thought it was safe to go out again:

Monkeys who snatched coronavirus blood samples on the loose in India
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...JAWLY7ACLPKQ7Y

Quote:
It was almost straight out of a movie.

Earlier this week, a troop of monkeys attacked a medical official carrying blood samples from coronavirus-positive patients. The furry thieves then fled with their ill-gotten viral vials.

It is unclear what has happened to both the monkeys and the blood samples, officials said Friday when announcing the news, Reuters reported. Local media reported on videos being shared online that claimed to show one of the monkeys chewing on a sample.

The attack occurred at a medical college in Meerut in India’s Uttar Pradesh state. The victim was a laboratory technician and the monkeys attacked as the official was walking on campus.

“Monkeys grabbed and fled with the blood samples of four covid-19 patients who are undergoing treatment … we had to take their blood samples again,” S.K. Garg, a top official at the college, told Reuters.

“No evidence has been found that monkeys can contract the infection,” Garg added.

Nonetheless, residents in the area are now worried that the missing coronavirus samples could lead to new sources of contamination. The World Health Organization says that the novel coronavirus that causes the covid-19 disease jumped to humans from an animal source.

Indian media has reported that monkeys have grown increasingly brazen in their attacks on people, as more human settlements have encroached on their habitat.

By Miriam Berger
India

Old 05-29-2020, 10:42 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Just when we thought it was safe to go out again:

Monkeys who snatched coronavirus blood samples on the loose in India
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...JAWLY7ACLPKQ7Y
Foreign agents disguised as monkeys.

The vials will be used to manufacture enough CV19 to blanket the world from crop-sprayer aircraft ... unless the international community ponies up $10 bazillion dollars ... or 007 can thwart the plot.

That’s my theory.

Stay tuned.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:46 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
From everything I have read, I have concluded wearing a mask lowers your odds of getting infected, when in the vicinity of a carrier of the virus and if I was a carrier, lowers the odds of me infecting somebody else. Before I started wearing a mask, on the handful of occasions somebody came within approx. 6 ft from me, I would monetarily hold my breath until we were further apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California