Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 04:12 PM

3,600 posts, read 1,625,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Rise in cases everywhere. This could be the second wave and fears of another lock down. Stock market reflecting this with a 800+ pt loss. Dow 3% loss. Not good news at all
Not sure if second wave but true about the rest...keep practicing social distancing and wearing masks so we can best this thing!

Old 06-24-2020, 04:24 PM

19,105 posts, read 16,484,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
More likely they've been the ones heeding the advice to stay home and avoid any unnecessary exposure. I read that here in San Diego now, the biggest rise in reported cases is in the 20-29 year old bracket. That's not really a surprise though.
Wow, I had no idea the ages were so young. I figured with a higher concentration of people in one area as opposed to others, the number of infected would be higher. I just wasn't aware they were so young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Not sure if second wave but true about the rest...keep practicing social distancing and wearing masks so we can best this thing!
My mistake, Fisherman. The governor said today we aren't even out of the first wave. I wonder if we'll ever make it out of the first wave before it surges even higher in the Fall. I'm in agreement. Keeping a distance and face masks are in order. Too bad the people rioting, I mean protesting, don't understand (or even care about) that.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:10 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,634,053 times
We seem to have lost it here in OC since fully half of CA's new COVID deaths occurred here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I wonder what's going wrong in OC since the 26 deaths represent half of California's total of 52 new COVID deaths?

https://update.covid19.ca.gov/
As reckless as we are, we're probably certifiable.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:28 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,455,782 times
Four suburban Southern California counties are among those primarily responsible for a dangerous rise in California’s coronavirus hospitalizations, according to a Los Angeles Times data analysis. The four counties have seen significant upticks in hospitalized COVID-19 patients in recent weeks.

Increases in Ventura, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside counties have contributed to an overall rise in hospitalizations recorded statewide that began after Memorial Day, just as officials were rapidly reopening the economy.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...spitalizations

Old 06-24-2020, 05:32 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,634,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Four suburban Southern California counties are among those primarily responsible for a dangerous rise in California’s coronavirus hospitalizations, according to a Los Angeles Times data analysis. The four counties have seen significant upticks in hospitalized COVID-19 patients in recent weeks.

Increases in Ventura, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside counties have contributed to an overall rise in hospitalizations recorded statewide that began after Memorial Day, just as officials were rapidly reopening the economy.

Well, everyday now seems to be like a holiday where I live (Aliso Viejo), and that would be fine if people would just remember to take proper precautions. OC accounts for 50% of CA's 52 new deaths.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:25 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,649,856 times
Math is math. We are seeing cases from infections that started 1 to 3 weeks ago. Even if we completely shut down today, the rapid increase will continue for about a month, just like what happened with the "first wave". It has been 10 days since gyms and bars were given the go-ahead to reopen. Most did not reopen on June 12th, so we'll see those initial infections added to the ramp-up in another 5-10 days. We are probably seeing the initial surge from restaurants, indoor shopping, memorial day parties, and at-home gatherings. It is going to get a lot worse over the next week as those initial infections spread from the young people who went out and got infected, to their [especially elderly] family members. Compound that with infections from bars, gyms, and demonstrations.

All the hoped-for cases were incorrect:

- The virus didn't mutate into a more benign or less-effective form.
- Superspreader events at big indoor gatherings were not the primary form of transmission.
- Half-assed shutdowns, masks, and social distancing were not enough.
- Summer weather did not decrease viral activity.

The opposite seems true. Almost every southern state has a spike, while very few northern states have begun the climb. It looks like a combination of hot weather driving people to indoor air-conditioned gatherings, mass demonstrations, and possibly some cultural resistance to social distancing, is driving the spike in the south. The north is likely to follow, along with Europe and the rest of the world, as they reopen.

Unless the virus was virtually eradicated, to the point where every single case/outbreak could be 100% tracked, traced, and quarantined, (Japan, China, Taiwan, New Zealand, Iceland, possibly Vietnam) the resumption of economic activity will lead to an explosion in infections sooner or later.

So, now it becomes a game of brinksmanship. Guessing how much we can leave open so that the virus burns in a controlled manner through the population. California needs to target an Rt of 1.2 to 1.3 in order to avoid overwhelming hospitals. Those hospital ships need to sail back into town, those field isolation units need to stand back up.

Response time to changes in protective measures lag by about a month. We are currently going up by 10-20% per day. It is very likely that this will continue for 20 days, no matter what measure we take now. Protective measures today will not yield results until July 17th. A reasonably conservative ballpark indicates that at least 10% of the state will be infected in 20 days. Cumulative infection ballpark is currently around 5-10%. So 20% of the state will be immune, sick, or dead, by mid-July no matter what we do now.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:28 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,657,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
We seem to have lost it here in OC since fully half of CA's new COVID deaths occurred here:

As reckless as we are, we're probably certifiable.
Mostly in Anaheim and Sagan Ana. We had a curfew notification in the other day for Santa Ana. My area is relatively benign. These areas had huge protests for days.
Why the governor didn’t stop the protests is beyond me.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:40 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,091,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

For San Bernardino county, it seems they updated a large amount of positive cases yesterday that were backlogged resulting in a very high one day spike.

"6/23/2020 - A large amount of data was entered into the database as a result of a backlog of cases over the past several days. This caused a spike in the number of new cases."
https://sbcph.maps.arcgis.com/apps/o...da6d82ee602dff

Old 06-24-2020, 08:03 PM

19,105 posts, read 16,484,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Mostly in Anaheim and Sagan Ana. We had a curfew notification in the other day for Santa Ana. My area is relatively benign. These areas had huge protests for days.
Why the governor didn’t stop the protests is beyond me.
^^ This

He's ripping into people today and threatening to hold funding to counties that don't comply (which ironically is the same thing Trump threatened to do to him when Newsom said he wouldn't comply last year). Yet, he hasn't addressed the protests at all. Not once. Moreover, the destruction and vandalism he's allowed to go on, is disgusting. He's weak and easily intimidated by a group of thugs who are hell bent on destroying this country.

I'll continue to comply with his rules, not because he says so but because I care about my fellow residents in this state and if there's a remote chance I'm a carrier, I don't want to spread it to others.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:38 PM

42,721 posts, read 25,889,902 times
I can't believe incredibly stupid people are I'm just furious. My grandson spend a few days in the SF Bay Area with his half sister, she's not a kid - she's 25 or 26 but my son thought that she was being careful but when he went there to pick up his boy he found out that she had a 'little party' of 10 or 12 of her friends while he was there and she had her 'homeboy' come from out of town to give the kid a haircut. Now dad and his son are quarantining themselves for 14 days.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 06-24-2020 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California