Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 09:41 AM

26,587 posts, read 26,472,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Politicians and county health officials admitted they were not asking if people who tested positive attended protests.
Hmm...the paper I linked doesn't discuss asking people who tested positive about whether they participated in protests. It states, "Using anonymous cell phone tracking data from SafeGraph, Inc., as well as data on the local prevalence of COVID-19 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...

Quote:
You have to use common sense.
Although I realize that this is anecdotal, the millennial protesters within my own kids' age group of friends/coworkers/neighbors--including every one of my southern California nieces and nephews--did so with masks and distancing, sending us pictures and video clips along the way.

Quote:
Your conclusions and research are incorrect because of skewed and inaccurate data plus a lack of common sense.
Not my research; wish I were adept enough to make any kind of calculations that are scientifically based. I posted what I read. LOL at the common sense part, though.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:53 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,236,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Hmm...the paper I linked doesn't discuss asking people who tested positive about whether they participated in protests. It states, "Using anonymous cell phone tracking data from SafeGraph, Inc., as well as data on the local prevalence of COVID-19 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...

Although I realize that this is anecdotal, the millennial protesters within my own kids' age group of friends/coworkers/neighbors--including every one of my southern California nieces and nephews--did so with masks and distancing, sending us pictures and video clips along the way.

Not my research; wish I were adept enough to make any kind of calculations that are scientifically based. I posted what I read. LOL at the common sense part, though.
All the photos I’ve seen showed some wearing masks, some not. There’s no social distancing at all in any of the reports I’ve seen.

I meant the research you posted. The bottom line is the virus isn’t pro BLM. It doesn’t stay away from protests. If it will spread in a crowd it will spread at protests.

There are politicians who are specifically telling health officials not to ask about the protests. If we’re being told not wearing masks and not practicing social distancing plus large crowds is causing an uptick, then the protests must be contributing to it.

Again, common sense.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:20 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,941,573 times
https://www.wsj.com/articles/news-fr...es-11592954700

Per-capita Covid fatalities were 75% lower in open states.

Quote:
A new analysis by The Sentinel, a Kansas nonprofit, compares the 42 states that shut down most of their economies with the eight that did not.

Per-capita Covid fatalities in states that stayed open were on average about 75% lower than those that locked down. One reason is that deaths in most states, regardless of whether they locked down, have been concentrated in nursing home facilities and minority communities that have higher rates of underlying health conditions and multigenerational housing.

This is a main reason hospitalizations and deaths continued to surge in states like New York, New Jersey, Illinois and Massachusetts long after lockdowns took effect. About half of deaths in New Jersey and Illinois have been in nursing homes, and most others have been in dense low-income minority neighborhoods where social distancing is difficult.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:34 AM

42,744 posts, read 25,909,163 times
Quote:
You also have to use common sense. Politicians and county health officials admitted they were not asking if people who tested positive attended protests. It makes little sense to say the crowds of people out for Memorial Day and restaurants reopening are responsible for the uptick but larger crowds out protesting were not.

Your conclusions and research are incorrect because of skewed and inaccurate data plus a lack of common sense.
I don't understand this claim about politicians and county health officials admitting that they were not asking people if they attended protests? I read the thing about De Blasio - but who were the people in California suggesting that? Most counties have contact tracers and their job is to ask people where they have been. At least in Sac County the recent spike in cases have been traced to large graduation parties and other large private gatherings. As far as I know the Slavic Evangelical Church members are still packing 40-50 people into small offices or homes to have 'prayer sessions' A woman on facebook admitted it in a thread about people not wearing masks, she said that it is in God's hands and that is why her church refuses to follow government directives

Old 06-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/news-fr...es-11592954700
Per-capita Covid fatalities were 75% lower in open states.
Maybe you could find that story on a site without a paywall? I could only read one paragraph (never mind I found it) It's from May 17th, let's look at updated numbers for the states they listed.
(first figure is for deaths on May 17, second is deaths on June 24th- CDC data)
North Dakota 43 78
South Dakota 44 83
Nebraska 123 256
Iowa 351, 688
Arkansas 98, 237
Oklahoma 288 382
Wyoming 8 20
Utah 80 163

The articles intent was to slam the Kansas governor for locking down the state. So let's see how Kansas fared,on May 17 Kansas had 172 Covid-19 deaths On June 24th they had 259 Doesn't look like the claims in that article aged well, does it?

Last edited by 2sleepy; 06-25-2020 at 11:41 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Can't rep you again but that was great information, thank you

Old 06-25-2020, 10:42 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,236,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't understand this claim about politicians and county health officials admitting that they were not asking people if they attended protests? I read the thing about De Blasio - but who were the people in California suggesting that? Most counties have contact tracers and their job is to ask people where they have been. At least in Sac County the recent spike in cases have been traced to large graduation parties and other large private gatherings. As far as I know the Slavic Evangelical Church members are still packing 40-50 people into small offices or homes to have 'prayer sessions' A woman on facebook admitted it in a thread about people not wearing masks, she said that it is in God's hands and that is why her church refuses to follow government directives
Thanks to CD, I can’t link the article on K-U-S-I, but here’s part of it. This is in San Diego:

“We asked Wooten about tracing cases back to the protest at Wednesday’s press conference, this is when she explained they are not asking people coming in for tests if they have attended any of the protests.

“KUSI asked, “how many people who have attended the protests have now been tested?” Following up with, “is everyone who gets tested asked if they have been to the protests?”

County Health Officer Dr. Wilma Wooten answered saying, “I don’t know the answer to that.” Continuing, “and I don’t think that that is a standard question. We have Dr. McDonald here, he’s shaking his head, no that is not a standard question.”

Wooten explained the County simply recommends protesters get tested. But when people do volunteer to get tested, they are not asked if they have attended a protest or not.”

Old 06-25-2020, 10:46 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,941,573 times
https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nurs...s-3a47433c3f70

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...ovid-19-deaths

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...are-facilities

Nearly half of all Covid-19 deaths in United States occurred in Nursing Homes or other elderly care facilities

Quote:
Based on a new analysis of state-by-state COVID-19 fatality reports, it is clear that the most underappreciated aspect of the novel coronavirus pandemic is its effect on a specific population of Americans: those living in nursing homes and assisted living facilities.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.1 million people live in nursing homes or residential care facilities, representing 0.6% of the U.S. population. And yet residents in such facilities account for 43 percent of all deaths from COVID-19, for states that report such statistics.
Another startling statistic. Half of the nursing home/care facility deaths happened in FIVE states.

- New York (Cuomo - D)
- Pennsylvania (Wolf - D)
- Michigan (Whitmer - D)
- New Jersey (Murphy - D)
- California (Newsom - D)

Each governor ordered Covid-19 patients into nursing homes early into the plan-demic. 45 other governors chose not to do so.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They don’t want even want to publish zipcode of the people who contact corona virus. Why is Santa Ana and Anaheim in my county has largest spike of coronavirus. They had large crowd of protesters.
https://voiceofoc.org/2020/06/orange...zip-code-data/
who are "they"? Sacramento has a daily update of new cases by zipcode

Old 06-25-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
[url]
Each governor ordered Covid-19 patients into nursing homes early into the plan-demic. 45 other governors chose not to do so.
I don't think any state 'ordered Covid-19 patients into nursing homes', some states did order nursing homes not to deny recovering covid-19 patients admission, but that's way different than you claim. If a covid-19 patient had somewhere else to go they were discharged accordingly. You are talking about patients with no family or friends willing to take them in, but tell me oh wise one, what would you have done? Pushed them out of the hospital and left them to sit on the sidewalk in their wheelchairs?

And large numbers of nursing home deaths plagued many states not just five as you infer:

Quote:
The Times found 14 states where more than half of total deaths occurred in facilities for the elderly. It was 55 percent in Connecticut, 57 percent in Colorado, North Carolina and Kentucky, 58 percent in Virginia, 59 percent in Massachusetts, 61 percent in Delaware, 66 percent in Pennsylvania, 73 percent in Rhode Island and 80 percent in West Virginia and Minnesota. https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/blame-...homes-goodwin/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California