Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 07:26 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Dr. Lucy Jones of Caltech explains why information about the virus might have been hard to follow in the past few months.

Jones has learned from her longtime role as a disaster communicator that in a crisis you can’t give people a list of dozens of measures to take for their safety. If you do, you might well overwhelm.

Overwhelmed, people often toss up their hands and say, I can’t do all you’re asking of me, and so I’ll do nothing at all. And doing nothing in our current crisis just isn’t an option, she told me. “Throwing up your hands is saying, ‘I’m OK with a lot of people dying.’"

But you have to understand how science works to understand why what guidance we have gotten this spring seems to have come out untidily, in dribs and drabs, Jones told me. Science doesn’t work like a carnival fortune-telling machine: Push a button, learn your fate. You can’t ask a question and get an immediate answer if no one previously has thought to pose the question you are asking and then study it...

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...virus-pandemic

Old 06-29-2020, 03:13 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Dp7...ture=emb_title

Old 06-29-2020, 07:36 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
<youtube clip>
That's pretty clever, Exitus. (I love it: "...It's like a horror movie, except Jason had the decency to wear a mask.")

Old 06-29-2020, 09:15 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Hopefully, more people will come to their senses regarding mask-wearing and social-distancing so that this grim prediction does not come true:

Former FDA commissioner says half of U.S. could get coronavirus by end of 2020
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...VIYJLLDFIZHTTI
Quote:
The surging number of coronavirus cases could result in nearly half the country infected with the virus by the end of 2020, according to former Food and Drug Administration commissioner Scott Gottlieb.

By the time we get to the end of this year, probably close to half the population will have had coronavirus, and that’s if we just stay at our current rate,” he said in an interview with CNBC’s “Squawk Box.” “We don’t need to vaccinate the entire population because a lot of people would have already had this by the time we get to a vaccination.”

Gottlieb said parts of the country are showing signs of serious community spread that will probably increase in the coming weeks.

Younger people appear to be the most impacted in those states, which means that death rates and hospitalization numbers might not be as severe as they were in the first wave, but all that could change with transmission, he said.

“Eventually, it will start to seep into older people, more vulnerable people, and you’ll start to see the total number of deaths go up even if the death rate has come down,” he said. “We’ll probably get above 1,000 deaths a day on average as the infection starts to widen out.”

Old 06-29-2020, 09:23 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
As sleepy pointed out, Gov Newsom never ordered COVID-19 patients into nursing homes.
He allowed it, it was on his watch, people died. No excuses.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Doesn't look like the claims in that article aged well, does it?
What are you talking about? None of your Covid related comments have EVER aged well, especially the one I just quoted.

We just hit a national LOW on Sunday in covid deaths since the peak 3 months ago, and most of those deaths likely fall into the high risk category.

For 3 MONTHS straight now, Covid deaths have been dropping.

Does that look like a resurgence is happening?

You, and a BUNCH of others in this thread have been wrong about Covid-19 for the past 3 months. Lots of fear mongering but very, very light on actual facts.
Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus-coviddeaths19.jpg  

Old 06-29-2020, 09:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
He allowed it, it was on his watch, people died. No excuses.
Then tell us where those people should have gone oh great one. They were discharged from the hospital,those who had the option of staying with family or friends went there, the remainder had to be placed somewhere - so maybe county jail would have been better, or the sidewalk?

Old 06-29-2020, 10:09 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Article on a mutation of covid-19 that appears to have become the dominate strain and is apparently more infectious

There have been other articles/reports on this subject.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...e/?arc404=true

Old 06-29-2020, 10:10 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
What are you talking about? None of your Covid related comments have EVER aged well, especially the one I just quoted.
We just hit a national LOW on Sunday in covid deaths since the peak 3 months ago, and most of those deaths likely fall into the high risk category.
For 3 MONTHS straight now, Covid deaths have been dropping.
Does that look like a resurgence is happening?
You, and a BUNCH of others in this thread have been wrong about Covid-19 for the past 3 months. Lots of fear mongering but very, very light on actual facts.
The recent spike in cases won't reflect in increased deaths for 2-4 weeks or more, that's called a "lagging indicator" I guess you thought that people die the same day they catch it?

Old 06-29-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Then tell us where those people should have gone oh great one.
They shouldn't have been put into a closed environment with the highest risk population where the mortality rate was almost 10%.

Quote:
They were discharged from the hospital,those who had the option of staying with family or friends went there, the remainder had to be placed somewhere - so maybe county jail would have been better, or the sidewalk?
Another highly questionable claim (among many others). Are you trying to claim they had to be put into nursing homes because they couldn't get a hospital bed? Because we both know that's a bold face lie.

Because the GREAT Elon Musk exposed that lie with actual data he got from CDPH on hospital bed occupancy.

You have been wrong for 3 months on Covid-19. It's not like I'm some great Nostradamus about Covid-19, and predicted everything would go like this. I just refused to flat out lie and fear peddle. That's why it's so easy to defend the things I've said in this thread compared to you defending the things you've claimed in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California