Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2020, 08:45 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
You’re right. I don’t. Plus it’s not simply a matter of not believing. Some cities were actively avoiding asking people who tested positive if they attended protests. I said it before. Skew the data and the conclusions are worthless.

If the virus respects the protests to stay away, why wouldn’t they ask people if they protested?
Which cities did that Mike? The virus respects no one, the protesters were outside which is probably the safest place to be and most wore masks.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:04 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,283,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Which cities did that Mike? The virus respects no one, the protesters were outside which is probably the safest place to be and most wore masks.
Off the top of my head, NYC, San Diego and Orange Co, Florida. NYC tracers were specifically told not to ask, the other two were more of a “don’t ask, don’t tell”.

I don’t understand why this isn’t common sense. Besides what I already brought up, you have a very contagious disease that evidently doesn’t affect large groups of people that are outside protesting.

Remember when Orange County California beaches were packed? Newsom freaked out and closed the beaches because it was troubling to see crowds like that without masks or social distancing. For the July 4th weekend, the beaches remain open in Southern California, but they closed the parking lots. Why? They obviously don’t want large crowds at the beach.

They also freaked out when photos surfaced of large groups of people hiking in a canyon in Los Angeles. They immediately closed the canyon.

Now we have huge groups of protesters, but all of sudden that’s fine. It’s just the bars, restaurants and family gatherings that are the problem. If that true, why close the beach parking lots?

Then you have that ridiculous claim that the large protests increased social distancing because other people stayed off the streets. What’s next, eating large pieces of chocolate cake has been found to cause weight loss?

The whole thing just doesn’t add up.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:56 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,187,705 times
Quote:
Off the top of my head, NYC, San Diego and Orange Co, Florida. NYC tracers were specifically told not to ask, the other two were more of a “don’t ask, don’t tell”.

I don’t understand why this isn’t common sense. Besides what I already brought up, you have a very contagious disease that evidently doesn’t affect large groups of people that are outside protesting.

Remember when Orange County California beaches were packed? Newsom freaked out and closed the beaches because it was troubling to see crowds like that without masks or social distancing. For the July 4th weekend, the beaches remain open in Southern California, but they closed the parking lots. Why? They obviously don’t want large crowds at the beach.

They also freaked out when photos surfaced of large groups of people hiking in a canyon in Los Angeles. They immediately closed the canyon.

Now we have huge groups of protesters, but all of sudden that’s fine. It’s just the bars, restaurants and family gatherings that are the problem. If that true, why close the beach parking lots?

Then you have that ridiculous claim that the large protests increased social distancing because other people stayed off the streets. What’s next, eating large pieces of chocolate cake has been found to cause weight loss?

HB and NB just closed their beaches for the 4th and possibly other days

It doesn’t make sense to you because you question things and aren’t a sheep under Grusomes hypnotic hair

Old 07-02-2020, 04:54 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,459,177 times
Quote:

Because that's politics and nobody in charge, from the state down to the local governments, wants to look like they did nothing to prevent the virus spreading or killing people. Whether or not the approach is logical doesn't matter. The appearance of doing something is what drives the decision making and it's been contradictory since day one.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:29 AM

Now I see that Los Angeles, Ventura and Orange County has closed beaches for the holiday weekend because they don’t want crowds. Yeah, the protesting was fine and didn’t cause any spike at all. If anyone believes that, please DM me. I’ve got a bridge for sale and I’ll make you a good deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ia%3f_amp=true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7.co...-this/6289851/

Old 07-02-2020, 06:52 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,557,411 times
I knew when the protests coincided with the increase reopenings that we'd end up here, with each side blaming the other for an increase in cases. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. The result is that there is no choice but to pause or shut some businesses down again, because not enough people are taking this seriously. The virus doesn't care about any of this finger pointing; it just wants to reproduce and will take every opportunity to do so. We already know how contagious it is. Being in a group of people, whether it's at a family reunion vs. a protest vs. a bar, it's all the same. Wear a face mask. Social distance. Wash your hands. Help slow down the spread by doing your part. It's just that simple.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I knew when the protests coincided with the increase reopenings that we'd end up here, with each side blaming the other for an increase in cases. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. The result is that there is no choice but to pause or shut some businesses down again, because not enough people are taking this seriously. The virus doesn't care about any of this finger pointing; it just wants to reproduce and will take every opportunity to do so. We already know how contagious it is. Being in a group of people, whether it's at a family reunion vs. a protest vs. a bar, it's all the same. Wear a face mask. Social distance. Wash your hands. Help slow down the spread by doing your part. It's just that simple.
Totally agree. I didn’t think the protesters were the only issue. I’m sure people packing into bars were a big factor too. However, to say the protests didn’t cause any spike is simply not true.

It’s just a political move by politicians and officials who are either scared of speaking the truth or in agreement with a political agenda.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:03 AM

26,748 posts, read 26,850,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Rising infections in younger people fuel California’s new coronavirus spike....<linked article>

And this is why I get so PO'ed at all these people believing they don't need masks, and that their bar hopping... etc. just can't wait
This 30 year old man apparently thought he'd never get the virus from going to a bar.

"i would never have imagined in a million years that I would have gotten this virus the way that I did."

A healthy 30-year-old man went to a crowded bar. He ended up in a hospital on a breathing tube:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/us/ar...tal/index.html

Old 07-02-2020, 08:18 AM

16,285 posts, read 10,431,766 times
Quote:

My take is nobody said the protests were "fine" with regard to COVID. They just understood the country was at a boiling point and it would not have made much sense to try to shut them down, that would have only made things worse. The protesters themselves understood they were taking a risk, they felt having their voice heard was worth the risk.

Now we compare that behavior with the behavior of so many who actually believe they know more than the medical experts. Those people who are gathering in bars and refusing to wear masks are behaving totally differently than the protesters. It is their behavior that should be in question because it's selfish and ignorant. They were not gathering in large groups for a cause, they gather because they feel they can do whatever they want to do and to Hell with everyone else. Yeah I see that mentality as different than the protesters.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:32 AM

21,742 posts, read 16,374,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
My take is nobody said the protests were "fine" with regard to COVID. They just understood the country was at a boiling point and it would not have made much sense to try to shut them down, that would have only made things worse. The protesters themselves understood they were taking a risk, they felt having their voice heard was worth the risk.

Now we compare that behavior with the behavior of so many who actually believe they know more than the medical experts. Those people who are gathering in bars and refusing to wear masks are behaving totally differently than the protesters. It is their behavior that should be in question because it's selfish and ignorant. They were not gathering in large groups for a cause, they gather because they feel they can do whatever they want to do and to Hell with everyone else. Yeah I see that mentality as different than the protesters.
Whoops. Intelligent, thoughtful observation. What’s that doing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California