Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 05:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's been a bad few days and more are on the way, but that's just a few hundred in sum, out of more active cases than ever. Deaths aren't a common result of infection anymore.

You still can figure out what webpage I meant. I can't help that someone beat me to a reply and bumped my post away from the one it addressed.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:42 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Yes, it's been a bad few days and more are on the way, but that's just a few hundred in sum, out of more active cases than ever. Deaths aren't a common result of infection anymore.

You still can figure out what webpage I meant. I can't help that someone beat me to a reply and bumped my post away from the one it addressed.
If you quote the post you’re referring to, it makes it easier to know what you’re talking about.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
And yet, this didn't happen in Europe when their schools reopened while community spread was still underway.

Either:
- In-school precautions can work
- Children are less of a vector than adults (they clearly can contract the disease from adults, but there is some evidence that younger children can't spread it to adults or each other)

Or some combination of the two.

Of course, there was the camp for teens in Arkansas which had 80-something cases. They need to trace that and see if the origin was the teens, or a superspreading adult camp counselor.
That's too strange an assertion about "younger children" to not support with any sources. I can think of a few reasons why they might not spread it as easily, but your claim goes much further.

Moreover, community spread seems higher in the USA now than it was whenever European schools reopened.

I could see most small private schools reopening on schedule, but many American public schools are crowded and in places where COVID-19 is very active and I cannot see the public supporting their reopening.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:32 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:

I could see most small private schools reopening on schedule, but many American public schools are crowded and in places where COVID-19 is very active and I cannot see the public supporting their reopening.

Our district polled parents on this last month:

59% are in favor of on-campus, full day learning
30% for distance learning/regular campus option
10% online only

People need their kids back in school.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:56 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post

10% online only

California poll:

4 in 10 parents want to stay with distance learning
4 in 10 favor a staggered schedule (limited reopening with students in school on alternating days or on half-day schedules)
2 in 10 want classes full time on a daily basis, even with social distancing guidelines

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...teachers-split

Old 07-10-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post

10% online only

Last month.

California needs people to stop partying and a demand for a crackdown, because that's the key to controlling the spread of COVID-19.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Last month.

California needs people to stop partying and a demand for a crackdown, because that's the key to controlling the spread of COVID-19.
Agreed, given the numbers of new cases I bet you can count on one hand the number of teachers willing to go back to teaching a classroom of 30 kids with no social distancing and in many cases no air conditioning in the classrooms.

Maybe some of the "return to school' crowd should read this:

Quote:
At least 1,335 people have tested positive from child care facilities in Texas, the state's Department of Health and Human Services reported Monday, citing figures from Friday. Of those infected, 894 were staff members and 441 were children. The cases came from 883 child care facilities that are open in the state, DHHS said. https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/healt...ies/index.html

Old 07-10-2020, 10:05 AM

Can't rep, but yes.

Where's the talk of having classes outside until fall?
https://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/Dist...ronavirus.html

Old 07-10-2020, 10:11 AM

https://www.thestate.com/news/corona...244135712.html

Southern California should do that and more, including closing liquor stores. (I expect all bars and indoor dining to be closed in SoCal soon.)

Old 07-10-2020, 11:22 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
California poll:

4 in 10 parents want to stay with distance learning
4 in 10 favor a staggered schedule (limited reopening with students in school on alternating days or on half-day schedules)
2 in 10 want classes full time on a daily basis, even with social distancing guidelines

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...teachers-split

Who did they survey though? I couldn't find the info from the polling group the LAT used. If it was random sample of Californians, that's not very accurate. Our district's poll only included parents with kids enrolled in SDUSD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California