Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 11:25 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Last month.

Last month being roughly ten days ago when they collated the results on June 28th. If you think that's not up to date enough, fine.

SDUSD is the second largest in the state. If you read the link, there were 50k responses and the results speak for themselves.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I bet you can count on one hand the number of teachers willing to go back to teaching a classroom of 30 kids with no social distancing and in many cases no air conditioning in the classrooms.

The plan isn't to send kids back to a pre-March version of schools. You'd lose that bet too.
If you read a little deeper, the plan here is to offer a choice for one thing. Nobody has to send their kids back to school if they don't want to, nor does staff have to return. As I posted on the mask thread, the district and union are negotiating a plan which includes ADA accommodation (something you claim is shelved at the moment) for educators/staff who want to return to campus but are higher risk category people. They're also partnering with a epidemiology experts from UCSD to provide guidance on the safety protocols they're planning.

I'll post this again. You should read it. Here's part of the initial guidelines:

Quote:

If the criteria to reopen are met, the District must implement clear safety measures for physical in-person reopening guided by public health authorities.
SDEA’s safety proposal includes:
  • COVID Testing— Free and frequent COVID testing availability on site for SDEA members.
  • Physical Distancing— Ensuring physical distance of six feet between individuals on site.
  • Meetings— All meetings continue online, and if a meeting needs to occur in-person distancing must be adhered to and acceptable airflow provided.
  • Masks/Face Shields— In accordance with California Department of Public Health directions, face masks are required when individuals are near one another, or during instruction.
  • Hand Sanitization— Procedures for ensuring hand sanitization supplies and stations throughout schools.
  • Daily Cleaning and Disinfecting— Custodial support to ensure all classrooms, workspaces, and restrooms are cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis.
  • School Nurses– At least one full-time Registered Credentialed School Nurse in every school in order to respond to the impacts of this epidemic.
  • Ventilation– Proper ventilation in all areas with proper filters as recommended by the CDE.

Not sure where you're getting your information. Nowhere is anyone talking about putting together a class of 30 kids in a non-airconditioned environment with no social distancing.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:44 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Last month being roughly ten days ago when they collated the results on June 28th. If you think that's not up to date enough, fine.

SDUSD is the second largest in the state. If you read the link, there were 50k responses and the results speak for themselves.
I didn't notice the link. You sort of hid it.

Because it's San Diego, which was doing okay until very recently, the 10 days might make a real difference.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:50 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Who did they survey though? I couldn't find the info from the polling group the LAT used.
You're right. When I clicked on the embedded link, readers are requested to put in their email address to obtain further information (no thanks).

Old 07-10-2020, 01:08 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Or not.

The state recorded its highest single-day coronavirus death toll Wednesday, with 149 fatalities reported, according to a Los Angeles Times county-by-county tally. That eclipsed the previous highest daily death toll, 132, recorded May 19, according to The Times’ California coronavirus tracker.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...nues-to-worsen
Hope it was worth it to all the 'muh freedom' people, on both sides of the aisle.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:32 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
The plan isn't to send kids back to a pre-March version of schools. You'd lose that bet too.
If you read a little deeper, the plan here is to offer a choice for one thing. Nobody has to send their kids back to school if they don't want to, nor does staff have to return. As I posted on the mask thread, the district and union are negotiating a plan which includes ADA accommodation (something you claim is shelved at the moment) for educators/staff who want to return to campus but are higher risk category people. They're also partnering with a epidemiology experts from UCSD to provide guidance on the safety protocols they're planning.

I'll post this again. You should read it. Here's part of the initial guidelines:

[/list]

Not sure where you're getting your information. Nowhere is anyone talking about putting together a class of 30 kids in a non-airconditioned environment with no social distancing.
No, the ADA isn’t “shelved” ... it is rendered as optional in relation to EO’s. Venues can, and often should, continue to accommodate as close as possible to guidelines. If there is a conflict between purposes, ADA will be in second position.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:51 PM

I know it's not shelved so you don't need to tell me. I'm responding to the contention that "{d}uring a declared emergency ADA and EEOC aren't enforced" which I already knew was untrue. I was instructed to "look it up" also. Yeah, sorry. Totally wrong. And as I pointed out in that link, ADA accommodations are being weighed for school staff who need it if the district reopens campuses.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Because it's San Diego, which was doing okay until very recently, the 10 days might make a real difference.

True, and if you look, the district plans to re-poll the question later in the summer.
But the point is, there's a substantial amount of parents who have had four months to ponder the situation and a majority want in-person schooling. With the negotiations in progress, and the high bar set to be able to do that, I wouldn't be surprised if that option gets removed in the end. I work at a school and so does my spouse. We also have kids enrolled in various grade levels. The standards which would be necessary to insure a safe re-opening aren't possible without a lot of adjustments. Just the need to have one full-time nurse on every campus would be a stretch. Maybe this isn't well known, but that's not how it works right now. The staffing requirements would be a big hurdle for that list I posted.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:04 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
I know it's not shelved so you don't need to tell me. I'm responding to the contention that "{d}uring a declared emergency ADA and EEOC aren't enforced" which I already knew was untrue. I was instructed to "look it up" also. Yeah, sorry. Totally wrong. And as I pointed out in that link, ADA accommodations are being weighed for school staff who need it if the district reopens campuses.
You aren’t making any sense. ADA is still being followed and enforced ... except: where EO mandates may conflict, in which case EO will supersede.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:34 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Right, just like the deaths were supposed to spike after the ReOpen California protest in April.

Just like the deaths were supposed to spike after the beaches and parks, and businesses, were reopened in May.

Just like the deaths were supposed to spike after the BLM protest in May/June.

Man, these Branch Covidian indicators sure are laggin'. Lagging so much that they haven't shown up after 3 months when everyone was claiming they would "any second now!"

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/...-to-be-spared/

For three weeks, nearly every day has brought with it a record number of cases and hospitalizations from COVID-19 in California. Now, after back-to-back days of record-setting death tolls, the state has now experienced its deadliest seven-day period of the pandemic. Another 135 Californians perished from the virus Thursday, according to data compiled by this news organization, just shy of the record set Wednesday but more than any other day before that. With it, the seven-day average climbed to 84 fatalities per day — 29% higher than a week ago and the highest it has ever been. The previous peak came in mid-April, when an average of 80 people died per day from April 18-24.

Maybe now you'll figure out what almost everyone else knew, but I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California