Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2020, 12:51 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I think well-publicized civil (non-criminal) citation with a $1000 dollar fine for gatherings of non-household members would be a good disincentive to the majority of party hosts. You can see and break up parties on the beach or park (not that anyone is bothering to in my town), but home gatherings are the real problem. Fortunately, having an address tied to the party means having a mailbox to send the citation to, and a name to levy the fine against.

I was speaking specifically to the poster's idea that hosting a gathering could be charged as "disorderly conduct" or "reckless endangerment". Neither are applicable. Reckless endangerment isn't even a standalone crime, per se, nor is it some catch-all statute. Disorderly conduct is more specific, but has nothing to do with house parties, etc.

Quote:
Sure, you could contest the citation in court and bla bla bla, but most people just don't want the headache.

If you were charged with either for hosting a party, you wouldn't even need to contest it since neither are applicable. Instant win. That was my point. It's not really helpful for anyone to suggest criminalizing behavior under irrelevant statutes just because (I assume) they "sound like" something.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I was typing my reply and didn't post it because you made my points for me. Except I disagree on fines vs charges, because rich YouTubers and scummy celebrities might not be deterred by small monetary penalties.

Well, you could always charge people with defrauding an innkeeper or wire fraud too. Both would be as applicable as the ones you pulled from thin air.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Doctors gather in DC to expose the reality of Covid-19

This is going around the internet right now, but youtube, facebook, and instagram keep deleting it.

Good intentions and all that, but when media like YT, FB, etc. delete this sort of thing, it only adds fuel to the fire. What better way to make the information seem like it's being suppressed by some shadowy cabal than to actually attempt to suppress it?

Old 07-29-2020, 07:35 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Yeah I can totally see that second wave. I just have to squint and ignore the TWO months straight of decreases in reported deaths.

Any day now!!!
You still squinting?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u-...J?ocid=BHEA000

"U.S. deaths from the novel coronavirus rose by nearly 1,300 on Tuesday, the biggest one-day increase since May"

Old 07-29-2020, 09:13 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Well, you could always charge people with defrauding an innkeeper or wire fraud too. Both would be as applicable as the ones you pulled from thin air.
As if I didn't use Google first. You can do it yourself now. Undiagnosed infected people are so numerous that any host of a large party would have to know that he or she is gambling with the health of attendees. A prosecutor probably would pursue post-arrest a reckless endangerment case if any coronavirus spread from the party were believed to have occurred. That is, in most counties on the watch list.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:24 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
California withholds virus money from 2 defiant cities

Great example of what I meant when I said Newsom is basically Democrat Trump; terrible response to dealing with COVID in CA and now withholding money from places declaring themselves economic "sanctuary" cities.

Also notice how for some bizarre reason San Mateo County still isn't on the state's watchlist despite failing many of the metrics. I'm guessing that's where his biggest donors must live.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Doctors gather in DC to expose the reality of Covid-19

This is going around the internet right now, but youtube, facebook, and instagram keep deleting it. So watch it while you can and let us know what you think. It's only 5min long.
Of course they removed it, it was insane nonsense, Dr. Stella Emmanuel the lady talking also believes that gynecological problems are caused by having dreams about having sex with demons, and that alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by “reptilians” and other aliens.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/stella...oxychloroquine

After Trump got done praising her in his press conference a reporter told him about the alien DNA and the demons and he rushed off the stage without saying a word

Old 07-29-2020, 11:02 AM

19,210 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

After Trump got done praising her in his press conference a reporter told him about the alien DNA and the demons and he rushed off the stage without saying a word
Not surprised. Double checking validity, especially when it's coming from the WH, should always be first and foremost. For the rest of us on the ground, we can pretty much say what we want because no one takes any of us seriously.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:02 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
California withholds virus money from 2 defiant cities

Great example of what I meant when I said Newsom is basically Democrat Trump; terrible response to dealing with COVID in CA and now withholding money from places declaring themselves economic "sanctuary" cities.

Also notice how for some bizarre reason San Mateo County still isn't on the state's watchlist despite failing many of the metrics. I'm guessing that's where his biggest donors must live.
Both of those Cities, Coalinga and Atwater had passed resolutions calling themselves "business sanctuaries" and instructing all businesses to remain open. How do we deal with this crisis if we allow cities to pass laws defying the state orders? And I'm quite sure once they revoke those orders they will get their money.

As far as San Mateo County..I don't know why they aren't back on the watch list, but unless things change in the next few days I would expect them to be on it https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-list/2333674/

Old 07-29-2020, 11:15 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Both of those Cities, Coalinga and Atwater had passed resolutions calling themselves "business sanctuaries" and instructing all businesses to remain open. How do we deal with this crisis if we allow cities to pass laws defying the state orders? And I'm quite sure once they revoke those orders they will get their money.

As far as San Mateo County..I don't know why they aren't back on the watch list, but unless things change in the next few days I would expect them to be on it https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-list/2333674/
I'm aware and I'm just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of Newsom. He is acting just like Trump. I'm sure there are other ways he can enforce health orders than withholding funds like a tyrant.

Well they never should have been able to open as much as they did and should have been on the watchlist weeks ago according to the data. It makes no sense and something weird is going on. Based on its increase in hospitalizations and positive test rate, it should have been on the watch list weeks ago. Be curious to see how much money Newsom pulls from cities like Atherton...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California