Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 10:05 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
So, you're saying that close proximity indoors doesn't increase the spread? And you're qualified to make this statement because you're an epidemiologist?

And you don't remember the dates that they tried to open indoor businesses here in CA and how cases spiked?
At the same time you can’t keep businesses closed forever. Especially when the mortality rate is so low.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:09 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
At the same time you can’t keep businesses closed forever. Especially when the mortality rate is so low.
Where did I saw I wanted to keep businesses closed? I support businesses, just in a safe way. For example, I frequently order takeout/delivery from my favorite local restaurants. I also take my kids to get their haircuts done outdoors. My gym is going to start to do an outdoor pop up and I'm considering it, albeit when the smoke situation improves.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:11 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Quote:
Where did I saw I wanted to keep businesses closed? I support businesses, just in a safe way. For example, I frequently order takeout/delivery from my favorite local restaurants. I also take my kids to get their haircuts done outdoors. My gym is going to start to do an outdoor pop up and I'm considering it, albeit when the smoke situation improves.

Enjoy doing all of that while it's raining, cold, windy etc.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:13 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
So, you're saying that close proximity indoors doesn't increase the spread? And you're qualified to make this statement because you're an epidemiologist?

And you don't remember the dates that they tried to open indoor businesses here in CA and how cases spiked?
Didn't say that or suggest that at all. You really read way too much into statements, I was simply pointing out despite our recent statewide ban on indoor dining that only 4 states have we are not really any better than half the states out there when it comes to deaths.

You mean right around Memorial Day and massive protests? Yeah I remember that. Do you remember in June and July when they said it was mainly social gatherings that was driving the spread so they decide to close salons and barbershops? Probably one of the most hygienic industries. What kind of sense does that make? Oh yeah don't forget playgrounds are still closed even though they pose little risk. So much of what CA has done make little to no sense. Probably why we rank in the middle despite having some of the tightest restrictions in the nation.

We are not some model to use for COVID. Tightest restrictions, one of the worst unemployment rates with results that end up in the middle of the pack.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Enjoy doing all of that while it's raining, cold, windy etc.
You mean like 3 months out of the year here in CA? How does this impact the ability to order takeout from a restaurant? For the other things, ever heard of a tarp? Not like CA experiences severe, life threatening cold like the upper Midwest.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:14 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Apologies, I meant the general you, not you in particular. I meant the way California is doing it.

It seems they could keep restaurants open for inside dining if they took temperatures, etc. I was driving by a local gym this morning and they had all their exercise bikes outside in the parking lot. There were all these people riding the bikes in the parking lot. Businesses had to get creative.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So much of what CA has done make little to no sense. Probably why we rank in the middle despite having some of the tightest restrictions in the nation.
Given that the majority of cases/deaths are in poor populations and that we have a large percentage here, its a wonder we aren't doing worse than we are as a state. So yes, I do believe the restrictions are preventing things from getting worse. Can we be doing better? Sure, but that would require either tougher restrictions or stronger enforcement on the restrictions already in place, so people like Looker don't run amok as a super spreader.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It seems they could keep restaurants open for inside dining if they took temperatures, etc. I was driving by a local gym this morning and they had all their exercise bikes outside in the parking lot. There were all these people riding the bikes in the parking lot. Businesses had to get creative.
I'm all for creativity in businesses. I'd also argue that not all of the failing businesses are due to COVID restrictions. For example, retail has been a dinosaur for quite some time, due to the likes of an Amazon. Companies that innovate are thriving, while those slow to react have been hurt. COVID just accelerated a process already in place. I'm not a fan of people being miserable, but I'd also argue folks need to figure out how to make themselves and their companies relevant. Similar to former coal miners in West VA and auto workers in the Midwest. They need to acquire new skills (e.g., computer programming) to remain marketable.

Temperature checks are one thing, but what about asymptomatic spread? That's the problem with COVID and why we have to have restrictions in place. Many people will have it and never know. Meanwhile, they'll spread it to countless people, many of whom will have adverse reactions.

Now, if these businesses could get their hands on tests which could give accurate results in 15 minutes, then I think we'd have a workable solution. But, that would require coordinated leadership at the national level, which, sadly, is nowhere to be found.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:23 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
California leadership is literally trying to destroy their economy to help Biden. That's all this is. Pretty sick. Meanwhile, other states are opening and are getting back to normal, yes, they are.

Really.......California is not in play in regard to the election for President. Economy could be growing great in this state and Biden would still win CA easily. One could make the same claim you are making in regard to FL & TX.... they started reopening too quickly at the urging of Biden's opponent and that resulted in a spike in cases, hospitalizations, deaths........"pretty sick" one could say

Old 09-16-2020, 10:28 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Given that the majority of cases/deaths are in poor populations and that we have a large percentage here, its a wonder we aren't doing worse than we are as a state. So yes, I do believe the restrictions are preventing things from getting worse. Can we be doing better? Sure, but that would require either tougher restrictions or stronger enforcement on the restrictions already in place, so people like Looker don't run amok as a super spreader.
So we're blaming it on poor people now? lol. New Jersey, Mass, CT, etc...some of the wealthiest states in America and also some of the hardest hit.

You can believe that but plenty of other states with less restrictions that are doing better that also have plenty of poor people. Not sure how blanket restrictions on industries that aren't really even contributing to the spread of the virus helps us overall.

An example of CA's nonsensical, illogical thinking. Several jurisdictions (Pacifica, HMB, Monterey, etc..) closing beaches (where people are outdoors, there's a constant breeze, and people naturally "socially distance") over Labor Day weekend despite a record heatwave. All that did is crowd other beaches and outdoor areas or likely contributed to more "social gatherings" at people's homes that might otherwise have occurred. That probably made infections worse.

Europe is learning to live with the virus, so should we at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California